Buddhism...

Being nice to your fellow man/woman, animals, and the planet should not have to be spurned by religion. Buddhism teaches things that should be at the heart of man. You are the judge of what is right for you.

Great thread.

I have been on the email list for Ratnasambh​ava Kadampa Buddhist Centre in Leeds for a couple of years with the intention of going to a series of workshops. That intention remains an intention, no time blah blah bs blah :( I am going to ensure this thread kicks me into action over the coming weeks!!

WeLuvIbiza (great username!): I was really lucky in that when I first took an interest in Buddhism, I found an amazing teacher soon after (a Buddhist nun). The second teacher I found was not so good. I remember reading in a Buddhist text that if you are drawn to Buddhism, you should find a great teacher. I hope your workshops are as good for you, as mine were for me...

Being nice to your fellow man/woman, animals, and the planet should not have to be spurned by religion. Buddhism teaches things that should be at the heart of man. You are the judge of what is right for you.

Very true. This is exactly what the Buddha himself taught.

One of the great things about Buddhism is the complete lack of 'rules', you take from it what works for you. But constantly aim for self improvement...

Example 1: Buddhism suggests drinking is harmful, but you like drinking (based on your username!!). Answer: The middle way.. drink less and try to avoid harming yourself with alcohol.

Example 2: The Dalai lama eats meat for health reasons, even though Buddhism suggests a vegetarian lifestyle is best. He has chosen the middle way.

There's no way I could go teetotal. I like a wee drink, the occasional spliff and MDMA. The one class of drug I want to give up is dopamine stims. I had a big thing for mephedrone for a while and while you feel amazing while on it, it just feels bad for the soul - very selfish, ego and desire centered.

I've actually cut back on meat/fish anyway (4 portions a week) for various reasons, but not sure I could go totally veggie.

Great thread.

I have been on the email list for Ratnasambh​ava Kadampa Buddhist Centre in Leeds for a couple of years with the intention of going to a series of workshops. That intention remains an intention, no time blah blah bs blah :( I am going to ensure this thread kicks me into action over the coming weeks!!

This is the book my mate recommended to me and I've just ordered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddhism-Pl...5963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309809825&sr=8-1

I'm too angry to be a Buddist.

Part of the reason I'm interested in Buddhism is because I have a lot of negative emotions over things I have no control over. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Buddhism is about dealing with life as it is rather than how you want it to be. Death is an extreme example in the book I've linked to above. We all die and know our friends/family will die, so there's no point in wishing otherwise, as that's only going to increase the pain... I think! I'm looking forward to getting the book rather than just reading the Amazon preview. :D

Not sure how much I'll take it up, but I've found it engaging so far when most religions just make me switch off or tut at how rigid and intolerant they are. It also just so happens that I like images of buddhas (!) - the Golden Buddha bar is prob my fave place in Ibiza and I also have a garden centre Buddha in my garden. :lol:

Surely,everyone has a Buddha in their garden,don't they?

Mine sits by the fishpond and looks sternly at lingering cats...

Not sure how much I'll take it up, but I've found it engaging so far when most religions just make me switch off or tut at how rigid and intolerant they are. It also just so happens that I like images of buddhas (!) - the Golden Buddha bar is prob my fave place in Ibiza and I also have a garden centre Buddha in my garden. :lol:

I'd recommend embracing the chaos and throwing yourself at Shamanism.

Buddhism is in itself a Shamanic tradition and with the tiniest bit of discipline and regularity will really sort your head out.

- but studying it in its purer form will send you off into orbit. It renders you a complete and utter car crash :)lol:), but pushes the boundaries showing you more highs and lows than you could ever imagine - no deities, gurus or books necessary. ;)

It's bonkers but in a reeeeally amazing, life changing way...and it fully embraces getting into altered states and dancing like an idot. :lol: In fact these things are pretty normal and central to the practice.

No guilt or abstinence required. ;)

I'll quit evangelising now though - screw the above, ignore everything I say and find your own path. ;)

I'd recommend embracing the chaos and throwing yourself at Shamanism.

I threw myself at an old Shaman recently.

He might look like a nice guy in the music videos but Mr C didn't seem to see the funny side at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll quit evangelising now though - screw the above, ignore everything I say and find your own path. ;)

Whats right for one person may not be good for another. Most important thing for a person is to find out "Who am I".

Once that vital component is worked out, the rest will fall into place. Most of it is just common sense anyway. Little by little one walks far.

Whats right for one person may not be good for another. Most important thing for a person is to find out "Who am I".

Once that vital component is worked out, the rest will fall into place. Most of it is just common sense anyway. Little by little one walks far.

There's a lot of people (such as myself) for whom life doesn't just fall into place, then you find yourself in your mid 30s trying to find happiness and come to terms with what life's dealt you. It can't hurt to read other's ideas. I already don't think I'll become a full-on buddhist (seems to point towards alcohol abstinence for starters!), but no harm in looking for advice/techniques. A lot of it is common sense/obvious, but needs to be re-iterated in a society where we're bombarded with advertising, etc promising (false) happiness and leaving us feeling short.

There's a lot of people (such as myself) for whom life doesn't just fall into place, then you find yourself in your mid 30s trying to find happiness and come to terms with what life's dealt you. ..

a lot of it is common sense/obvious, but needs to be re-iterated in a society where we're bombarded with advertising, etc promising (false) happiness and leaving us feeling short.

Solid. Had those feelings in my early 20s and spent a great deal of time experimenting with meditating on my own and trying to work it all out for myself. It was a long and hard journey for me to feel properly 'grounded', learn how to manage my own expectations of life and achieve internal peace desipte whatever is thown at me.

Growing up in Africa, a place where people with literally next to nothing were some of the happiest and most emotionally grounded and enlightening souls on the planet, helped a lot I think. Must confess to never having read or studied any formalised teachings per se. If buddhist or shamanic ideas help then embrace and give them a go as part of your own journey.

It's so easy in a sophisticated Western culture to live with one's eyes 'wide shut' as you can't see beyond the materialistic bombardment commerce brings and the pressure to "want" what money is needed to buy. Just get out of it, turn off the TV & phone, and head into the countryside for a bit where you can actually think straight ! When your eyes open again, just being well and alive brings the richest rich rewards you could ever want.

Honestly believe that on-going contentment, at a deep level, can only be found by looking within yourself. Nothing and no-one can do it for you and it costs nowt in material terms. The greatest feelings of "happiness" for me usually come from making others happy/seeing the joy in other people, often by sharing the simplest things they never thought could mean so much.

But for all of us, it's a never-ending challenge and as they say in the pubs round these parts "There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip"...

It's so easy in a sophisticated Western culture to live with one's eyes 'wide shut' as you can't see beyond the materialistic bombardment commerce brings and the pressure to "want" what money is needed to buy. Just get out of it, turn off the TV & phone, and head into the countryside for a bit where you can actually think straight ! When your eyes open again, just being well and alive brings the richest rich rewards you could ever want.

Yeah, definitely. Connecting with nature helps. I'm lucky enough to have a decent garden and live amongst countryside with some decent walks. While I devote some time to such activities, I probably don't devote enough.

Solid. Had those feelings in my early 20s and spent a great deal of time experimenting with meditating on my own and trying to work it all out for myself. It was a long and hard journey for me to feel properly 'grounded', learn how to manage my own expectations of life and achieve internal peace desipte whatever is thown at me.

Growing up in Africa, a place where people with literally next to nothing were some of the happiest and most emotionally grounded and enlightening souls on the planet, helped a lot I think. Must confess to never having read or studied any formalised teachings per se. If buddhist or shamanic ideas help then embrace and give them a go as part of your own journey.

Honestly believe that on-going contentment, at a deep level, can only be found by looking within yourself. Nothing and no-one can do it for you and it costs nowt in material terms. The greatest feelings of "happiness" for me usually come from making others happy/seeing the joy in other people, often by sharing the simplest things they never thought could mean so much.

But for all of us, it's a never-ending challenge and as they say in the pubs round these parts "There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip"...

Hmmm... Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter8)

Back