Berlin....

Can we not just say 'gang'? ...
no. "we" can´t.
... It's not really a Muslim thing ...
in this case - it IS .

i recommend you and minimarc go hand in hand in that location where the 20 year old guy
was killed in front of (or areas mentioned above) ... then we´ll see ...

there was (or still is ?) even an "official" warning from the us-embassy (or consulate ?)
f.e. that jews should better not walk around wearing a kippa or gays should avoid
anything in these "no-go-areas" which could "provoke" certain people (= muslims) etcpp.

so take a look in berlin´s jails or dream on or cry me a ****ing river
but don´t spread spread politically correct nonsense way beyond berlin´s reality
with stuff like "... It's not really a Muslim thing ..."

no. "we" can´t.

in this case - it IS .

i recommend you and minimarc go hand in hand in that location where the 20 year old guy
was killed in front of (or areas mentioned above) ... then we´ll see ...

there was (or still is ?) even an "official" warning from the us-embassy (or consulate ?)
f.e. that jews should better not walk around wearing a kippa or gays should avoid
anything in these "no-go-areas" which could "provoke" certain people (= muslims) etcpp.

so take a look in berlin´s jails or dream on or cry me a ****ing river
but don´t spread spread politically correct nonsense way beyond berlin´s reality
with stuff like "... It's not really a Muslim thing ..."

I live in Bethnal Green. The Muslim population of Tower Hamlets is the largest out of all local authorities in England and Wales.

I'm therefore happy to spare you the job of painstakingly trying to educate me about what the majority of Muslims are like.

They're just people, like yourself. (only possibly less angry.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few pals were in Berlin at weekend, had an amazing time but they did get a knockback from berghain sadly.

I go back in early December and cannot wait and for the record found Neukolln in no way at all worse than certain areas of London or my beloved home town of Luton.. although I say beloved tounge in cheek..

Got a cracking deal on a pizza there too and strolled around after dark with no issues being whiter than white (Thank you Irish heritage) :lol:

City's are microcosm's of society. You get racism. You get violence. You get crime. You can also have an amazing time if you keep your head down, don't offend anyone and aren't terribly unlucky. :twisted:

2ird3s.jpg

2vw7o6f.jpg

344bbma.jpg

330hetw.jpg

246qo37.jpg

29onb6h.jpg

2yl3793.jpg

xg08pg.jpg

(berliner zeitung)

Very sad. :cry:

My heart goes out to all involved obviously.

But this is a reminder to look past religious/social/sexual/gender divides; not start pouring hate onto the Muslim community.

If I do ever get murdered by a bunch of homophobes please don't start using my grave stone to spread this kind of propaganda.

no. "we" can´t.

in this case - it IS .[/I]"
Turks are among the most secular Muslims, and Turks born and raised in Germany even more so.

Really, Icey, call it political correctness or, better yet, just call it just being an intelligent human being, but lay off it.

On a lighter note .... a guide for Brits in Berlin :lol:

Deano's Tip Top Berlin Tourist Tips For Brits:

• Go to Berghain: Any visit to Berlin must include a trip to this house & techno cathedral housed inside a former power plant. The club is extremely welcoming to stag parties of 12 or more - upon entry be sure to ask your doorman for details on a roped -off wristband-only VIP area in the famous Panorama Bar. If you get in, be aware that the bar staff are often busy, so when preparing to order your mojitos it's recommended that you get the barman's attention by waving your money at them. The barstaff are also excellent photograph re-touchers, so feel free to ask them for advice on minimising flash glare in your club snaps. (If you don't get in - they operate a strict smart casual dress code - don't forget you can still pretend you did by posing for a photographs outside anyway).

• Enjoy some alternative culture: The city's clubs encourage a free-spirited hedonistic atmosphere that makes them ideal for exploring the outer reaches of your sexuality. Football & rugby-playing lads attending Berghain are often to be found enjoying such freedoms by getting naked and enjoying some non-judgmental fun for one night only (usually Fridays, when there's not as many actual gay men there to feel threatened by).

• Visit the Holocaust memorial: Walking amongst its grid of dark grey pillars offers some time to reflect on the horrors of the concentration camps and 6 million dead at the hands of Nazi genocide. Plus it's a wicked place to pose for a funky fresh Facebook profile pic!

• Try a tasting session: While Berlin is not known for its wine, tasting sessions are available at local club The Laboratory. Yellow Facts and Fausthaus are popular with regulars and should provide entry-level fun.

• Try some local cuisine: Berlin is home to several fast food eateries, with McDonalds and Burger Kings located in Prenzlauer Berg, Freidrichshain, Mitte and Neukölln. For the more exotic eaters among you, the KFC is located close to Hackescher Markt U-Bahn.

• Indulge your wild side: Get down to one of Berlin's famous riverside rave shacks and take as many drugs as you can for four days straight. If you run out, you can always just text a Berlin friend, who must know/be a dealer because he lives here (he'll also be a perfect connection for any club guestlist you need - you +15 on the list should be fine for any night you wish to attend). If your friend isn't answering, just walk around asking people where you can buy some drugs in the most unsubtle manner possible, preferably with a lump of K encrusted on your right nostril to show you're not a narc.

• Visit Checkpoint Charlie: ask your beer bike driver to make a stop at the home of the famous landmark on Friedrichstrasse. We're not sure exactly who Charlie was, but there's a McDonalds there, and a tatty old Russian flag you'd think they'd have replaced by now.

• Enjoy a bar crawl on one of Berlin's many Ibiza-style strips: don those angel wings & devil horns/pop on that 'Lads On Tour 2013' polo shirt and get yourself down to one of the city's many party bars, with the local punk haunts an ideal location to get your night started right.

• But most of all - have fun: Remember, you're British - the world's sweethearts! So make sure to let everyone know where you're from and feel the love in return!

Potential location for a stag do of a close friend next year....would you recommend yay or nay?

No one expect me is into the clubbing aspect of life so there will be no attempt to go to Berghain / Pan from the masses.

How are groups of 20 ish lads viewed there?

I wouldn't have picked it for a typical stag do. But if your friends are more open minded about activities you might do perhaps it could work. Great city for a short break jus not sure it ticks the boxes for stag?

^^ agree. Not sure it's the friendliest place for groups of 20 lads on a stag do. Can think of lots of places much better suited.

two months late, but here's a quick review of the clubs visited when we were in berlin in february

we started off our berlin clubbing tour with hopetosse (by the 'club der visionäre' crew) on thursday night - great place, a moored boat with low ceilings & a very intimate vibe, pretty small but absolutely recommendable.

on friday night we went to ritter butzke - another cool place, but an extremely young crowd when we were there. went to golden gate after that, which is a proper after hour place. pretty small, dark & dingy. we basically only went there because we had friends playing there, so stayed for another few hours and then home.

saturday night we went for the big ones. watergate first. a very cool club i think, love the view out on the river spree from the dancefloors. the fact the toilets are at the far end of the dancefloors and you have to fight your way through the floors first is a pretty big minus though. powerful sound system, especially on the main floor (dominik eulberg was really good!). lower floor with niconé. sascha braemer and philip bader were very nice too!

off to berghain/panorama bar directly after that. holy sunday mass at 10am with margaret dygas kicking it at panoramabar (berghain itself was too dark/industrial musically at that point).

the idea of 'let's go, try to get in and see what's all the fuss about' was quickly swiped away for a proper berghain session...we didn't leave the building for the next 12hrs. we spent most of the day up in panorama bar, but also got a pretty big chunk of the most banging set i've ever heard of marcel dettmann (banging in terms of playing at a MUCH higher BPM than anywhere else currently). up in panorama bar, apart from margaret dygas, i really liked andy baumecker's set as well as efdemin's. bailed out just before midnight on sunday so unfortunately missed ryan elliott.

anyway, to make it short. it is true, berghain/panorama bar is easily one of the world's best clubbing places i've seen so far. the atmosphere, due to the quality of music (and also the sound) and the mix of people, is unique. also reminds me of how dc10 used to be up until 2006/2007.

general berlin pluses and minuses:

good:
- cheap entry & cheap drinks in clubs
- cheap food everywhere

bad:
- whoa, i had forgotten how bad it is when people are smoking in clubs. urgh. here in ibiza less people smoke in clubs (because officially it's forbidden) and due to the fact the ceilings in the clubs on the island are high (ok, apart from sankeys), you never get out of a club stinking like an ashtray. ugly.
- in contrast to ibiza where tourists are the main part of the clubbers, i felt the locals are sometimes a bit annoyed with party tourists...

will definitely be back for another cheeky berlin weekend next winter at some point!

Heading over for this. Will take in various other bars & clubs on offer when there too :)

Attachments

• 10168014_10152334975184593_4362480965052223279_n.jpg
    10168014_10152334975184593_4362480965052223279_n.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12
I reckon the Germans have the right idea - they need to protect that sense of exclusivity otherwise their clubs will just get overrun by tourists.

that rings true untill your on the receiving hand of tourist justice. I pride myself on not being a knob 'ed but being rejected from church did piss me off

that rings true untill your on the receiving hand of tourist justice. I pride myself on not being a knob 'ed but being rejected from church did piss me off
exactly. its great when you are in the club, not so much if you are left outside!

when we went - people were getting rejected at the door at Watergate left, right and centre. I am fairly certain that we only got in because we were on the guestlist. The couple of lads in our group who werent on the list made friends with 2 girls in the queue and got in too, but if you were a tourist and in a group of more than two people, you were struggling!

berghain on the sunday was different, there were only two of us and we didnt go until 11am sunday morning. As we walked down the path towards the front door, it suddenly closed over. So we were standing outside, on our own for about 5 minutes until the door opened slightly and a doorman poked his head out. We explained we were on the list and they were all really welcoming.

A last minute jaunt to berlin has popped up end of the month. What do people do for fun over there these days? Any recomendations on good restaurants , bars/areas and clubs abit off the beaten track would be great

A last minute jaunt to berlin has popped up end of the month. What do people do for fun over there these days? Any recomendations on good restaurants , bars/areas and clubs abit off the beaten track would be great

I quite enjoyed Suicide Circus when i went!

Back