Berlin - thoughts?

We're looking at attending the Union Berlin v Ajax match, does anyone have any experience in getting tickets for this kind of game? Easy/difficult? Champions League games are usually easier than league games to get hold of in the UK

We're looking at attending the Union Berlin v Ajax match, does anyone have any experience in getting tickets for this kind of game? Easy/difficult? Champions League games are usually easier than league games to get hold of in the UK
Pretty small ground (22k), so definitely trickier than a much larger ground.

The English fan website says: "Tickets for games are generally only available a few weeks before each match. Since the 2019/2020 season and the promotion to the 1. Bundesliga, the club policy has changed considerably and made it next to impossible for non-members to get tickets for home games"
Official ticket site is at: https://tickets.union-zeughaus.de/unveu/Model

Feels like a bit of a stretch for this one. Bit of a splurge on hospitality maybe?

Pretty small ground (22k), so definitely trickier than a much larger ground.

The English fan website says: "Tickets for games are generally only available a few weeks before each match. Since the 2019/2020 season and the promotion to the 1. Bundesliga, the club policy has changed considerably and made it next to impossible for non-members to get tickets for home games"
Official ticket site is at: https://tickets.union-zeughaus.de/unveu/Model

Feels like a bit of a stretch for this one. Bit of a splurge on hospitality maybe?

Thanks for this. Looks like it could be a struggle, and don't really want to try go down the tout route. Plan B is Hertha Berlin are at home a few days later and it seems easier to buy those. But I think Union v Ajax will be a better atmosphere

Thanks for this. Looks like it could be a struggle, and don't really want to try go down the tout route. Plan B is Hertha Berlin are at home a few days later and it seems easier to buy those. But I think Union v Ajax will be a better atmosphere
You'll be fine for Hertha, they don't often sell out the Olympiastadion as it's fooking huge- you'll have no problem for the Augsberg match, you will be able to pick up a ticket in one of the club shops in town HERE.

I would still look at going down to the ground at Union on matchday though, it's a pumping atmosphere, plus Kopenick/Muggelsee are really nice and away from the Berlin madness. Can recommend the restaurant in Kopenick Rathaus HERE. Nom nom

The one and only time I went to Berlin we went to watch Hertha and it was superb. We bought directly from their website. The whole match day experience and atmosphere was superb! Selling beer in the stands is a joy.

Enjoy!

The one and only time I went to Berlin we went to watch Hertha and it was superb. We bought directly from their website. The whole match day experience and atmosphere was superb! Selling beer in the stands is a joy.

Enjoy!
Couldn't agree more, great football experience and having a beer in the stand a definite plus! Shame Hertha are always crap, make sure its a good fixture!

Couldn't agree more, great football experience and having a beer in the stand a definite plus! Shame Hertha are always crap, make sure its a good fixture!
They won the game I went to they won 3-1! Ex-Chelsea player Kalou bagging a hat-trick!

Last edited:

Enjoy!

Cheers dude we have now spotted that Kerri Chandler is on at Watergate on the Friday night so it remains to be seen if we will have the stamina for the football 😄

Changed our minds. Mia Mendi the night before suits us better musically and hopefully have a better chance of getting in on a Thursday. So the footy is a strong possibility now :cool:

we did our annual berlin winter trip last weekend. this time it was purely about clubbing. my wife and I didn't get to go out as much as we used to during the ibiza season (I'll say more on this in the 'how's your year been' thread soon) so we were really looking forward to go and let loose for a few days and nights (it wasn't that crazy though).

thursday night we finally went to kitkat - it's a club that's been on my bucket list for years and finally we made it. if you don't mind it kinky, it's a great experience - we shall be back at some point! this was the appetizer to our weekend.

friday we went to watergate, nothing new for me, but a friend of ours was playing so we thought we might as well. it served perfectly as a first course.

and then saturday and sunday was the main course. on saturday evening we first went to heideglühen, another venue that's been on my to do list for a while. such a cool place. italojohnson had the place rocking early evening and we stayed until about 4am. this is a club I would love to see one day in the summer months (very tricky though if you live and work in ibiza...).

then we made a pitstop at a friend's place and at around 7am we were in the queue for berghain. in contrast to what @sir! says here:

we almost always go on early sunday morning and so far the longest we've queued was half an hour. last weekend was berghain's 18th anniversary so we knew it would be busy, but again, we timed it well and the queue was absolutely bearable. we all made it in (we were a group of five) and so we spent the next 15hrs in berghain and panoramabar.

we left berghain sunday night, by then the club had gotten super busy, and we'd been dancing for over 24hrs. also I had to catch a flight back to the balearics on monday and I had to be in fine form for monday night, so from the get-go I'd known we would have to stop sunday night to get some decent sleep before I traveled back.

resuming...well what can I say? berlin's still one of the best places in the world for clubbing, period. in most venues people are super friendly, prices are OK - even though it definitely has become more expensive. I remember paying 17€ to get into berghain, now it's 25€ and it was actually 30€ for us because we hit the anniversary weekend. but if you consider that you get over 24hrs of clubbing for that (if you've got the stamina), I think that's still really fair. drink prices are cool as well.

can't wait for the next berlin visit - one day I'm gonna make it in summer to see those venues when the outside bits are open!

I just saw this message - the berghain queue situation changed a lot since the pandemic is "over". there were hardly longer queues in the last months (only on Saturday evening, but not every week), but still a normal/high rejection rate. There is a telegram group with good information about the door situation - feel free to PM me for the link :)

Heideglühen in summer is 😍 - and still an insider tip.

Changed our minds. Mia Mendi the night before suits us better musically and hopefully have a better chance of getting in on a Thursday. So the footy is a strong possibility now :cool:
It's not too hard to get in on a Thursday (and also on the weekend if you go early or late). Just don't overdress and know the line-up, but you already do. The more authentic Berlin vibe usually starts from 4am when tourist groups leave 😊

A Berlin-based pal DJed recently at Georgia Bar, says it's really good. A proper old school sweatbox with a killer system (Georgenstraße 194, 10117 Berlin)

It's not too hard to get in on a Thursday (and also on the weekend if you go early or late). Just don't overdress and know the line-up, but you already do. The more authentic Berlin vibe usually starts from 4am when tourist groups leave 😊

Thanks for this. I've just noticed you're from Berlin and we're the same age, give me a shout if you're out on Thursday!

Going to Berlin next weekend, was looking at attending the Drumcode event @ Watergate. Will buying tickets in advance guarantee my chances of getting in? I'm going with the missus so hopefully shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't want to buy tickets and get refused.

Going to Berlin next weekend, was looking at attending the Drumcode event @ Watergate. Will buying tickets in advance guarantee my chances of getting in? I'm going with the missus so hopefully shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't want to buy tickets and get refused.
Don't think you're ever 100% guaranteed in Berlin, even if you have an advance ticket. Watergate does still have door pickers, but won't be as selective as Berghain for example.

Back