Barbie's Last Dance in Ibiza.....??

Barbie

Due to all the changes going on over the last few months blah blah blah :lol: before we left for this holiday I did think it may be my last dance on Ibiza, however cos we'd had an almost non-exstent summer in England both our minxy levels were high and we giddily got up at 4.30am for our early morning flight to Ibiza. Got to the airport ridiculously early as per normal, as I'd done my usual trick of telling Tom our flight was earlier than in was when he'd booked the taxi :lol: Straight thru check in, duty free, breakfast and then the bar and then boarded our flight, landing in Ibiza at about midday Saturday to glorious (much needed) sunshine. Picked up the nice red :lol: free hire car and Tom drove to PDB. As I mentioned when we were there in June and numerous other people have said thru-out the summer, PDB is like a ghost town in the day - where all the pre/post Space casualties on the streets :confused: I miss them :lol: Anyway we decamped at Passion for food, smoothies and wines and then went to meet the owner of the private apartment which was our home for the next 10 days. We'd stayed here before - a big 2 bedroom apartment right on the beach in PDB behind Passion and 2 mins from Space so perfect location for us. We quickly unpacked, stocked up on supplies and went for a wander down the beach. Again confirming what we'd noticed in June and other people have said Bora Bora is deserted in the day, we stopped off for a drink there for old times sake and at 4.30pm then did turn the music on and a couple of people half heartedly tried to get a bit of atmosphere going but failed :confused:

In the evening we quickly met up with some friends who were coming to the end of their holiday for a quick drink and then drove over to Cap Negret for sunset and dinner at La Torre. Wow what an amazing place (thanks Sandi and Steph for the recommendation) - the setting is stunning, the people who work there couldn't be nicer and the food was excellent - stuffed aubergines to start, chicken for Tom and prawns for me, washed down with a bottle of pink champagne and the bill was a very reasonable 75 euros. They've also got the loveliest dog in the world there :lol: It was a lovely first night to the holiday and one of the nicest 'normal' nights I've had in Ibiza.

Sunday we chilled around the pool for a couple of hours, Passion for breakfast and then went to Tantra so Tom could watch Chelsea v Man U (so one reasonably happy husband :lol:), then back to the apartment to wait for everyone's favourite pizza delivery man so after a couple of hours madness with him :eek::lol:, we headed into Space for about 8pm. My first thought was 'how quiet??':confused: In all my years of going to Space I've never seen Space so quiet on a Sunday, the sunset terrace slowly got a bit busier but then at 9pm this live act (Moon Unit) came on and completely cleared the few people who were on the dancefloor. I don't know what possessed Darren Hughes to book such an act but if it was to empty the sunset terrace then it did the trick :lol: There was literally 3 people on the dancefloor, they were so bad I just wished more people had been there to see them to witness it :lol: I feel for anyone who may have been going into Space for the first time at that moment :eek: Fortunately they finished at 10pm and Alfredo came on the decks (I love Alfredo, he sums up to me all what Ibiza should be about :D) and he realised he had his work cut out to create an atmosphere on the sunset terrace so he didn't disappoint from the moment he started with Underworld, thru Depeche Mode, Yeke Yeke, the Pink Panther theme tune - it was a proper terrace set with everyone dancing and smiling like loons :D

At midnight we went onto the new terrace (Smokin Jo, Paul Woolford) but it was all a bit flat, fortunately 2ManyDjs were playing the closing set and brought the atmosphere back to how Space should be imo so we left at the end as two happy bunnys. As We Love sesh's go Alfredo and 2ManyDjs made the day for us but the rest of it was def not We Love as its best.

We emerged Monday lunchtime and drove to Es Cavallet for a few hours in the sun and then went to the lovely restaurant La Escollera for a late lunch. A bit more sunbathing and then in the evening we went to Ushuaia bar on PDB beach for drinks and food - not sure if this is a new bar but it's the first time we'd stumbled on it and it's just what PDB needs - lovely bar with big beds, comfy seats - especially now that Bora Bora is a shadow of its former self (but more of that later).

Tuesday was Tom's birthday so he had to start the day off with half of the Passion menu :lol:, then we drove up to Benniras and had a few hours sunbathing there, then went for a drive round the north-east, climbed a mountain (well a big hill :lol:) and then went to Sol d'en Serra. Back to Passion for Tom's second Passion birthday meal and then we headed down to Bora Bora about 9pm to meet up with friends for pre-Garnier drinks. It's sad to see what Bora Bora has become imo, since Gee left it's been a bit hit or miss but this year it just a shadow of what it used to be - a few people dancing inside, nobody dancing outside, security walking round looking like they have guns and would shoot you for having fun :lol: A few jugs of sangria warmed us up tho and then we headed into Space a bit before midnight for Monsieur Garnier for the bargain-tastic price of 20 euros. Garnier played inside first til about 3am and the moved onto the new terrace and both sets were out of this world :D Space was busy (new terrace and inside were both open but parts of it were closed off) and a good atmosphere but not as busy as I thought it would be especially as there was very little else on this night. Anyway a cracking night all round :D

We went back to our apartment and carried on so Wednesday was a bit of a lost day - it's days like this I so miss the no daytime clubbing cos the weather was a bit cloudy and that was one of the best things about September how you'd often 'accidentally' end up in Space for an impromptu daytime sesh :lol: At night we just made it down to Ushuaia for drinks and a bit of food.

Thursday we drove around the south stopping off at Sa Caleta, Cala Jondal and then Cala Conta where we sunbathed for a few hours and then went to Sunset Ashram for a late lunch - good food in a lovely location. Then we popped in to Sandi and Dom's villa for roses and then quickly headed back to the apartment for a quick change and then meeting everyone at Bora Bora again before Space. Bora Bora was pretty much as it was on the Tuesday night, it really has lost that magic it had about it, it's fine for a meeting place before a night out but the days of dancing on the tables and the whole place going off seem long gone :confused: We headed over to Space and got in for the again bargain-tastic price of 10 euros, the only room which was open was the new terrace but this was already nicely busy. Wally Lopez played before Danny T who was reallyreallyreally good, altho it was Danny T who everyone had come to see, and when he finally came on he played from 3.30am til 7am - it was a good Danny T set, not vintage Danny T but I think that may be cos we've been so spoiled with him before seeing him playing 6+ hours at a time. Left at the end in the biggest hole EVER :eek::lol: and went back to our apartment for more minxiness so Friday was a completely lost day :lol:

Saturday we just did a bit of sunbathing in PDB and then in the evening drove to Cap Des Falco but someone was getting married there so the place was closed off (some people eh :lol:) so drove over to Khumaras - poor Khumaras was dead, I've never seen it so quiet even when it first opened years ago and was a bit undiscovered - it had apparently rained there a bit earlier and some people may not have known it had reopened after it was closed for drugs but I still couldn't believe how quiet it was, we almost had the bar to ourselves. After sunset we drove round to Sa Capella where we had a table booked and had a lovely last meal - soup for me, salmon spring rolls for Tom, then salmon for my main and a big hunk of cow for Tom, with a nice bottle of wine and unlimited after dinner shots the bill was a reasonable 95 euros for excellent food and service. Back to the apartment for a few Baileys nightcaps and then made the most of our last night of sleep.

Sunday we took the car back to the airport and then had the final Passion of the holiday and made our way into Space about 5.30pm, the place quickly filled up this week and within an hour was properly going off to Jonathan Ulysses, Jason Bye played next and then the unexpected bonus of the holiday was Alfredo turning up to playing the closing set (not sure where Tom Novy was who was meant to be playing - maybe he's been sacked for his endless wafflings over the music :lol:) but Alfredo was just perfect to close the sunset terrace with lots of classics and closing with Iggy Pop - Passenger :D

We quickly used our pass-outs after the sunset terrace closed and then went back in and saw the end of Hell who was pretty good. Lawler played next who was a real disappointment imo - I couldn't believe this was the same DJ who used to close the terrace of old with the whole place going off :confused: Space was busy, not as busy as previous We Love Closings but by far the busiest club we went to all holiday. Saw a bit of Woolford after Lawler who was ok but still not really peak time terrace music imo and then after a final drink left at the end with Ferd and his Barry for a final destroying :eek::lol: They left to go back to their apartment and we dragged ourselves to the airport for the 10.30am flight back to London - people always think we're mad for getting a flight back straight after Space but I quite like it, one minute you're in Space, the next few hours are a bit hazy and then before you know it you're home in your own bed :lol: Fortunately the airport was deserted (again I wondered where everyone is cos we always get this same time flight back and the airport is normally heaving) still it was nice not to have to negotiate many 'normal' people and it was a nice straightforward flight back to Gatwick, taxi and then bed.

In all the years I've been to Ibiza I've never seen the place so quiet especially at this time of year (I would even say this September was quieter than our trip in June) but sometimes this was quite a nice thing cos it does give you a bit more room in the clubs. However everyone we spoke to who works out there tho has said it's been their quietest season ever and a lot of businesses have really suffered - a lot of this they feel is due to the change in laws but obviously other wider factors have had an impact too. For me personally the new laws have had a massive effect, for years Ibiza has been this free party island, whereas now yes it still has some of the best club nights in the world but there is nothing that really separates it from anywhere else.

So will we be going back?? After 13 years going at least twice a year for holidays then I've seen so many changes to the island, most of which I've come to accept but I think if it still wants to be seen as this clubbing capital of the world, then this year has been a change too far. Don't get me wrong I still love Ibiza and had an amazing holiday and it holds some of the best memories of my life but I think in future my love affair with Ibiza is going to be just restricted to a short fling (ie a cheeky long weekend :lol:) rather than a full-on love affair (spending 3/4 weeks holiday a year over there :lol:).

Great review Babs :lol:

I find it quite sad to read about the things that have changed, partly because half of it I havent experienced in my 2 trips there and also because I would love to take my other half there and for him to experience it all. But hey I am sure we can still do it a fun way :lol:

Really must check out Passion the next time I go :lol:

As always, it's great to read your review, Barbie. This one though is tinged with sadness:cry: There is no doubt the authorities have taken a sledgehammer to crack a nut and could well pay the price. At a time when the world is in crisis, they have potentially destroyed thier own economy. To hear someone who has always been so very positive about the changes over the years, to post the above, it tells a tale imho.

Even after this summer, no doubt the politicians will be blaming the huge drop in numbers on the nasty, evil and vile clubbers:eek:

At least you sounded to have made the best of the current situation :lol::lol:

A superb read there Barbie .... brilliant review!!

you'll be back twice again nxt year ;)

Bora Bora is deserted in the day, we stopped off for a drink there for old times sake and at 4.30pm then did turn the music on and a couple of people half heartedly tried to get a bit of atmosphere going but failed :confused:

headed down to Bora Bora about 9pm ..... a few people dancing inside, nobody dancing outside, security walking round looking like they have guns and would shoot you for having fun

Bora Bora was pretty much as it was on the Tuesday night, it really has lost that magic it had about it, it's fine for a meeting place before a night out but the days of dancing on the tables and the whole place going off seem long gone

We headed to Bora Bora on the Saturday evening aroun 17.30 till 23.00 and it was rammed from start to finnish, music wasnt the best but it did go off !!

made our way into Space about 5.30pm, the place quickly filled up this week and within an hour was properly going off to Jonathan Ulysses, Jason Bye played next and then the unexpected bonus of the holiday was Alfredo turning up to playing the closing set (not sure where Tom Novy was who was meant to be playing - maybe he's been sacked for his endless wafflings over the music :lol:) but Alfredo was just perfect to close the sunset terrace with lots of classics and closing with Iggy Pop - Passenger :D

The sunset (where the funk is the sun ??, Think they should change the name to covered dark terrace :confused: ) was great, enjoyed Ulysees and REALLY enjoyed Alfredo.

And it was great seeing you guys and the gang !! ;)

We quickly used our pass-outs after the sunset terrace closed and then went back in and saw the end of Hell who was pretty good. Lawler played next who was a real disappointment imo - I couldn't believe this was the same DJ who used to close the terrace of old with the whole place going off :confused: Space was busy, not as busy as previous We Love Closings but by far the busiest club we went to all holiday. Saw a bit of Woolford after Lawler who was ok but still not really peak time terrace music imo and then after a final drink left at the end with Ferd and his Barry for a final destroying :eek::lol: They left to go back to their apartment and we dragged ourselves to the airport for the 10.30am flight back to London - people always think we're mad for getting a flight back straight after Space but I quite like it, one minute you're in Space, the next few hours are a bit hazy and then before you know it you're home in your own bed :lol: Fortunately the airport was deserted (again I wondered where everyone is cos we always get this same time flight back and the airport is normally heaving) still it was nice not to have to negotiate many 'normal' people and it was a nice straightforward flight back to Gatwick, taxi and then bed.

I though you guys had left, and Ferd and Tamsin (thought they left to take their friend to the apartment for her return flight, what was her name again :confused: ?? And didnt return) When you left us on the terrace we headed in the discoteca shortly afterwards for Zabiela who was fantastic :lol:

In all the years I've been to Ibiza I've never seen the place so quiet especially at this time of year (I would even say this September was quieter than our trip in June) but sometimes this was quite a nice thing cos it does give you a bit more room in the clubs. However everyone we spoke to who works out there tho has said it's been their quietest season ever and a lot of businesses have really suffered -

We arrived on the friday and i was quite suprised how busy it was, maybe it was long weekenders like us :confused:, pacha was busy on the friday, not rammed like, but pleasantly busy, and amnesia was busy on the saturday. It still annoys me how theyve got the Large VIP on the terrace though, the rest of it was like a meat market :spank: I think the opening and closings are quiter now due to the clubs spreading the openings over such a long period (aswell obviously the new regs and the credit crunch), i remember years ago the openings and closings were over say a 10 day - 2 week period. I could be wrong :confused: Obviously peeps will come for that period ??!!

So will we be going back?? After 13 years going at least twice a year for holidays then I've seen so many changes to the island

Don't get me wrong I still love Ibiza and had an amazing holiday and it holds some of the best memories of my life but I think in future my love affair with Ibiza is going to be just restricted to a short fling (ie a cheeky long weekend :lol:) rather than a full-on love affair (spending 3/4 weeks holiday a year over there :lol:).

Yeah i think 2 weeks a year is too much now, esp at your age :lol: we did a week in june this year, mostly chilling with a few nights out, and we really enjoyed it. Then ofcourse the long weekend for the closings at the end of the summer. Both were great !!

I feel like I have just read about the demise of a very old friend......... :?:?:?:?

I cant believe the place was quieter than June when we were there - I really through Sept would have the place kicking off - last days of the season and all that..... really surprised...

If im honest, i found PDB to be very busy on the day we attended We Love (7th Sept). Just as busy as i have seen it in previous years. Dont realy venture there other than on the Sunday or for Carl Cox on a Tuesday, so it could be a different story on the other days of the week.

Great review by the way :)

Great review, thanks. Glad you had some good times despite the lack of daytime minxiness (loving that btw, thanks for enriching my vocab with such an evocative word:))
Think the long weekend is a good way to do Ibiza now, that's true.

I didn't experience things quite as "bad" as I was there July / August (pretty lively) and I don't spend so much time in PDB or Bora Bora and haven't done for eons. However, numbers were definitely down and the government really went OTT in their desire to control things, that's for sure. Very sad and very bad timing too for Ibiza's economy !! Hope they are regretting things now and reassessing for the future... Maybe the pendulum will swing back a little ?

Luckily there are still some fab people and great things to do, even in the clubbing/party field - I had some unique experiences this summer at Cocoon afterparties (don't ask, my hubbie has unique skills in befriending the "right" people or sniffing out these things:)), loved the Zoo, and my rediscovery of DC10 etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
:cry: so sad.

a) because I missed Hell doing a disco terrace set. :eek:

...and b) because Ibiza is o-verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :cry:

Still, I'll definitely be going for a short break next year.

I guess it's not all bad though - I feel unbelievably lucky to have experienced the place at its best over the last 10 years.

Surely Berlin can't take the crown for clubbing capital of the world?!? There's no beaches! :rolleyes:

Lot's of men in leather tho I guess. :lol: (sh!t did I say that or think it?)

Glad you enjoyed all the same. :D

a) because I missed Hell doing a disco terrace set. :eek:

...and b) because Ibiza is o-verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :cry:

Still, I'll definitely be going for a short break next year.

I don't think it is over, yeah it's changed, but it is still very very special. We had a wicked time. (see above) The day clubbing thing didnt really affect me as i used to go to space and DC10 around 4.30pm anyway !!

And i didnt rate Hell btw :spank:

What did he play? Was it all original disco classics or did he try and be all avant guard and mix it with bleepy minimal nonsense?

... Alfredo turning up to playing the closing set
(not sure where Tom Novy was who was meant to be playing -
maybe he's been sacked for his endless wafflings over the music :lol:) ...
:lol: :lol:

ps:
very good review -
especially what you wrote about borabora and the rotten
day-ghosttown playdenbossa !

... However, numbers were definitely down and the government really went ott in their desire to control things, that's for sure.
Very sad and very bad timing too for ibiza's economy !!
Hope they are regretting things now and reassessing for the future...
Maybe the pendulum will swing back a little ?
! ! !

Great review as always. Glad you got back ok Sarah, you were in a relative normal state compared to other years when we left you :lol:

This had to be one of my best trips ever!

Great to meet you Liam. No we didnt leave Space till about 6am. I have to agree with you regarding James Zabiela and Fanciulli.. I thought they were AMAZING. Where were you? we were dancing right by the front. When the break downs kicked in and the lights and the ice cannons came on the atmosphere was electric in the discoteca.

I even really enjoyed Steve Lawlers set.. (all this in stark contrast to Barbie's view lol)
We were in the middle of the dancefloor in the new terrace and again it was going off from what we could see. (Liam, my mates name was Louisa ;))

Regarding the other nights Cream was a great fun, PvD was excellent playing lots of bouncy euphoric trance.
People From Ibiza took a bit to get going on the saturday, a bit too techy for some of my friends, but the final set in the main room more than made up for it.

Basically we can't wait to book two weeks again in 2009 8)

(hi to all the the usual faces from here and to the new ones too :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review as always. Glad you got back ok Sarah, you were in a relative normal state compared to other years when we left you :lol:

:lol: I think you had more work cut out getting Tamsyn back to your apartment than we did getting to the airport and getting on a flight :lol:;)

I thought Space and Bora Bora were ****e an all but I had an amazing time by checking out other places: the new Eden back room, The Zoo Project, Privilege Anniversary Party after the Zoo Project, Underground...

nice to see you again sar. :D

and hello to everyone else too.

sorry for missing cocoon with you guys, still hurting from sunday now.:spank:

Nice review Barbie you seem to know Ibiza more so than most on here so ill take on board what you say.

I deliberately avoided Bora Bora this year as ive heard terrible reports from many people about it and looks like ive been justified,even 3 years ago the place was rocking but after that it went rapidly downhill, in fact if i go back next year ill be going to smaller places like that Zoo Project which i missed this year as it wasn't on when i was there, ill be checking out more underground places as opposed to the rip off big clubs.;)

Great to meet you Liam. No we didnt leave Space till about 6am. I have to agree with you regarding James Zabiela and Fanciulli.. I thought they were AMAZING. Where were you? we were dancing right by the front. When the break downs kicked in and the lights and the ice cannons came on the atmosphere was electric in the discoteca.

We were in the middle of the dancefloor in the new terrace and again it was going off from what we could see. (Liam, my mates name was Louisa ;))

yeah and lovely to meet you and the gang, look forward to partying with you again !! We were probably 10 feet away then, just to the right of the dJ box with James and his mates, Greg, stu hirst and the rest.

The lovely Louisa, how could i forget. I met sooo many new peeps this trip, and with my hearing problem. (hence calling Tamsyn Toby :confused: and thinking Toni was Scottish :spank:, it was difficult) Did louisa get home ok, did she have a good time ?? And how was Smiley (killer Tracey off Corrie) get on ?? :lol:

Back