Balearic, Chill Out & Sunset Music

At the end of last year I was lucky to encounter the Balearic Sound series released by Musica Sol Y Mar between 2009 and 2013.

No smart-ass sales pitch (most descriptions and comments on bandcamp spur stomach acid... 🤢🤮), total lack of cover art and liner notes, fantastic tracklists, extended versions, and -above all- an impeccable pressing quality. It dwarfs any other contemporaneous recollection which claims the genre (like the Trujillo one). As soon as summer kicks in I'm taking these babies outside.

Not much is known on the label. Anybody knows who is/was behind it?
The only things that are mentioned on the back:

Musica Sol Y Mar
Avenida Levante No.7, Portinatx, Ibiza, 07810, Espanã
e: musicasolymar@gmail.com

Can't even find that address on Google Maps.
Who lives/d at this place? @jimmiz' hut?

🛖

This page wouldn't be complete without José Padilla.

Love this collaboration with Tornado Wallace which appeared on his last album "So Many Colours" (2015)
I read somewhere 🌪️ flew over and stayed at José's 🛖 specifically for this production.
It was his first time on the island if I'm not mistaken.
Lovely video as well.

José Padilla & Tornado Wallace - On The Road

Have a great year all

Big time. Very lucky in that Sean is due to play in sunny Belfast next month, just a few days after The Guvnor’s anniversary.

Oh wow. Jealous! Remember you mentioning another alfos a while back. Really glad he kept it going. It was always more than just AW imo. There's a whole community that's really built up, into the slower stuff. I think it's brilliant.

Écouter Sunset Grooves Podcast #212 - Mia Kober par Sunset Grooves sur #SoundCloud

thanks for reminder. need to get on that Heavenly series. somebody did share a link to much of his entire back catalogue shortly after he died. Am guessing there was several tetrabytes worth of music on there!

Back