Automobile Advice Please

So that I can "roll" with you and your "homies" down in Bognor, Super P? :lol:

(I did think about the tinted windows though :oops:)

Mark - thanks, mate... quite excited!

Thanks everyone for all your advice, especially you Liam (here and in person)
In the end, decided to buy a new car as the one I wanted has only been around here for 2 model years and buying used was going to save very little... less than $1k.

107.jpg

The Morbyd Mobile
Peugeot 107
5-door
2-tronic (automatic... actually, a "robotic" manual which supposedly boosts efficiency & reliability)
"Trendy" package (A/C, CD player with Aux plug, electric windows, airbags, power steering)

8)

No problem pal, for a city car you cant go wrong. Although i've never driven an automatic :confused: You americans sure love your autos !! Are they as popular over there also ?? I prefer 'stick shift' on the smaller cars personally.

It's just that Moscow has a lot of traffic and my route to work is right through the dead center of town (if I could drive across Red Sq, I'd shave 2.5 km off my trip :lol:). I can't be bothered to sit there shifting all the time.

But this automatic is quite different. It's really just a robotic manual, as the dealer put it. You put it in one mode and it shifts itself. Or you can switch to a pseudo-manual mode that allows you to shift up/down through the gears (only sequentially so you can't skip gears)

Following up on Pup's dead car thread, an update on the Peugeot 107:

I just went a WHOLE FRIGGIN' MONTH without stopping at the petrol station :D 8)

I drove daily to and from work (about 15km round trip) in the notorious Moscow traffic, and took a couple of longer trips to Ikea and Sheremetovo 1 airport. Over the course of 32 days, I used 33 liters of petrol to travel around 420 km. That works out to 7.85 liters/100km or 31 mpg. Not quite the 51 mpg city rating advertised, but I'll chalk that up to the traffic since I'm still driving for about 40 minutes a day.

I used to spend 400 rubles/day on taxis to and from work. That’s about $11 now, but for most of last year that worked out to around $16 (the ruble has taken a beating over the past 2 months). By contrast, I spent about 33 rubles per weekday on fuel for the month ending February 25, and that’s assuming no weekend driving, which was not always the case. That is less than a dollar a day, and less than a 50 ruble round trip on the metro. I saved $240 over the course of a month. Even factoring in depreciation and (future) maintenance, this car is paying for itself! :D

ha ha, no... bought a new cabinet to put around my washing machine.... along with the various impulse buys required of any Ikea visit :lol: I was surprised how easily the cabinet fit in the back with the seats down! Plenty of space.

Oh, and Swedish meatballs :lol:

Loving the car 8)

My fiancè had for 3 years a Smart (now it's turned into a new Fiat 500, very nice car): it's a useful car for a chaotic city as Rome, but it's not comfortable for long distances.

I mean that the best choice among the 3 you mentioned is the Peugeot.

P.S.: this is my new car, Audi A3 2.00 TDI 140 Hp S-Line, sorry I had to share my happiness.... :) :) :) :)

picture.php

P.S.: this is my new car, Audi A3 2.00 TDI 140 Hp S-Line, sorry I had to share my happiness.... :) :) :) :)
I know how you feel, friend. There is something exciting about acquiring these little hunks of metal. It's your personal, mobile space. Congrats on your purchase :D

I know how you feel, friend. There is something exciting about acquiring these little hunks of metal. It's your personal, mobile space. Congrats on your purchase :D

Thanks and congrats to you too for Peugeot :):)!!!

What about the gear-tronic ? Shfting is fast ?

And also: have you ever tried to plug an MP3 reader into the Aux input ?

I have got an AUX in my car, but never tried to plug in my IPod Touch....

Just curious to know how this interface works.

The first month I was driving I had my iPod Nano plugged into the Aux. It worked just fine.

Since then, I bought one of these
thumbnail_product.php
(Fujitsu Lifebook u820) and velcroed it to the dashboard. I use it for MP3 and GPS.

The gear-tronic works just fine about 90% of the time. Sometimes it shift gears a little earlier than you would manually. Once you get used to it, it's fine... you learn how to regulate it based on speed and how hard you press the gas pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not tried the Ipod cause I gotta buy the Apple cable, but I was told that Aux interface is really poor since you can't manage the Mp3 reader via car stereo commands, but you must switch tracks by the Ipod. This is cause Aux in is merely an input interface.

So you want a better interaction an Usb port is needed.

Following up on Pup's dead car thread, an update on the Peugeot 107:

I just went a WHOLE FRIGGIN' MONTH without stopping at the petrol station :D 8)

I drove daily to and from work (about 15km round trip) in the notorious Moscow traffic, and took a couple of longer trips to Ikea and Sheremetovo 1 airport. Over the course of 32 days, I used 33 liters of petrol to travel around 420 km. That works out to 7.85 liters/100km or 31 mpg. Not quite the 51 mpg city rating advertised, but I'll chalk that up to the traffic since I'm still driving for about 40 minutes a day.

I used to spend 400 rubles/day on taxis to and from work. That’s about $11 now, but for most of last year that worked out to around $16 (the ruble has taken a beating over the past 2 months). By contrast, I spent about 33 rubles per weekday on fuel for the month ending February 25, and that’s assuming no weekend driving, which was not always the case. That is less than a dollar a day, and less than a 50 ruble round trip on the metro. I saved $240 over the course of a month. Even factoring in depreciation and (future) maintenance, this car is paying for itself! :D

a very useful thread - glad I found it, thanks Morbyd

basically, need a new hatchback for both city and autopista use - and am leaning towards the Peugeot 207. Do you find petrol cheaper than diesel, after factoring in taxes (this presumably depends on which country you're in) and is it reliable for long-distance travel, as I will need to take it to Spain next year. Also do any new models still include casette players? :confused:

Hey Olly.

I think the 207 would be fine for longer trips. It's got a bigger engine than the 107 so the extra power should do you fine on the highway.

Not a big difference in gas and diesel prices in Moscow at the moment. At least, not enough to make up for the louder engine and smelly exhaust (yes, I know diesel engines have come a long way, but I still don't like them!)

My car was built at there Czech joint venture factory with Toyota, and the underlying design is Toyota's, so the quality build is quite good for a low-end model. But a friend of mine who drives the 207 was similarly pleased with the quality.

The French have come a long was in car manufacturing. I have a Renault rental right now and I really like how it drives.

Not sure what they are like in terms of resale value. There are a lot of 207s on the road, so that could be an issue. Also, check to see when the 2010 model 208 is coming out.

ok - looks like the 207 for me - a Mini would be pretty cool but probably too small (style over substance imo - although minimal depreciation?)

Not looking fwd to the test-drive though - not driven for a year and a half!

Back