Automobile Advice Please

Morbyd

Alright, people. Here's the backstory: A friend of mine in the advertising business just picked himself up a Volkswagon Taureg. I asked him why he bothered driving in this city when taxis are cheap and plentiful, and he told me of the moment he sat down in yet another taxi with some smelly, annoying driver and thought "I own my own company. Why do I do this? I can afford it. Gonna buy a car."

Well, with that conversation from a week ago fresh in my head, I had a similar epiphany this week (except for the owning a company part :lol:). So, thinking of buying a car. Probably used, as I've no desire to take a hit on depreciation or wait for delivery.

Here's the thing: I don't want to spend substantial money on it. I'm going to buck the Moscow trend to buy big and expensive. Prefer to keep that money in the bank. A car, for me, is a means of transport and not a status symbol (although there are some limits... I'm not going to buy a Lada :lol:) Also, I want something as tiny as possible so that I can park anywhere.

So, without further adieux, here's what I'm looking at:
2008_smart_fortwo_passion_cabrio_top.jpg

Smart fortwo. Love these things. Big downside: there are times when you have passengers, for which a 2-seater is especially unsuited!

peugeot-107.jpg

Peugot 107. Nearly as small as a Smart, but seats 4. Don't know much about them as I noticed one on the street this week for the first time.

20060223-suzuki-swift-red.jpg

Suzuki Swift. Another couple of inches longer than the 107, but the engine is 1.5 times bigger.

Comments? Recommendations? Any other ideas in this model class?

Also, I want something as tiny as possible so that I can park anywhere.

So, without further adieux, here's what I'm looking at :

peugeot-107.jpg

Peugot 107. Nearly as small as a Smart, but seats 4. Don't know much about them as I noticed one on the street this week for the first time.

20060223-suzuki-swift-red.jpg

Suzuki Swift. Another couple of inches longer than the 107, but the engine is 1.5 times bigger.

Comments? Recommendations? Any other ideas in this model class?

As a profesional ;) I can't recommend the 107/Aygo/C1 highly enough, they are a great little car with huge ammounts of efficiency, have you seen the mpg and emissions ?? :eek: And as Citroen/Peugeot shared with toyota you get great reliability.

I love the new fiat 500's

main.jpg

Oooh... that thing is adorable!
However, just checked on auto.ru. It's selling for 15000 euros here and no one has them in stock, only taking orders :evil:

The 500's are in very high demand, are fetching premiums and you wont have the reliability of the c1/107/aygo.

The swift is a great little car, but for arounfd the city you cant go far wrong with the 107/C1/aygo !!

Last edited by a moderator:
112_0606_01l+2008_bmw_1_series

BMW 1 series coupe is the way forward, this little coupe number is a cracker!

However probably going down the status route you wanted to avoid. But hey **** it, if you've got the money treat yourself....

Liam - Thanks for the info. The 107 is the only one of three available here right now. Price is right though, as is the size.

Deano - They're ok, but I really just don't want to sink that much money into a car. Just don't see the need for it!

Em - Yellow? That's...... unfortunate :lol:

Morbs, the class of car you have identified is great for choice, reliability and economy. When i was in sorrento this year there were loads of those fiats, really nice cars - everyone from young girls to business men in expensive suits were driving them around! However, what looks cool in italy somehow doesn't translate to a wet and windy afternoon elsewhere :lol:

i like the smart cars. Not many people do, but i think they are great. The smaller renaults are great too. http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/model/newtwingo/product.aspx?WT.srch=1 Twingo?

At work the C2 and C1 are popular choices and they are reliable as hell. Why not consider second hand for an even better bargain? Or to avoid depreciation altogther can you not lease long term?

I've done this for years now as every two years i simply hand back the car and get a new one. No huge deposits - no depreciation, just a fixed cost and easy exit.

Let's be honest unless you buy the car outright in cash or keep the car for 5yrs +, no one really owns their car. But also the last car i bought was a MGTF for the missus a shortly before the MG car firm went bust. Cost £16.5k sold it less than two years later for £6.5k - now that's depreciation!!!

Lada's are a style classic! :lol:

im a bit biased, but howsabout a MINI Cooper or MINI Cooper Clubman.

bit on the pricey side BUT hassle free motoring for 3 years. ;) with hardly any depreciation.

Ive owned 2 french made motors previously and can say i will never own one again.

Do you want to look cool or have a reliable practical, cost effective car?

I bought my Mother a car recently and we simply listed the things that were important for her:

Power steering
Air conditioning
Long warranty
good visibility
etc. etc.

After all the 'cool' factor is stripped away, you've got to live with it every day so make sure it does what you want it to do and there's nothing that will annoy you every time you get in it / park it / fuel it etc.

On that basis, it's hard for anyone to give you a reccomendation because pnly you know the answers to the questions.

Once you've narrowed it down, read the reviews then go and test drive some.

We got her one of these...

1100857030_60fd671976.jpg

Ridiculously expensive when launched so they are pretty rare but the 1.4tdi will do 70mpg on a run and they are very spacious & reliable.

All boxes ticked for her...

Liam - Thanks for the info. The 107 is the only one of three available here right now. Price is right though, as is the size.

Normally i'd steer clear of french cars, like Chew said. but the 107 is a different kettle of fish, they have the reliability of the toyota like i said. I've been selling cars for 15 years (god i feel old), and i can honestly say it's one of the best little cars i've driven. So much so we got my wifes secretary one, in 2.5 years it's never missed a beat, and the mpg she's getting is amazing (She's got the petrol 1.0 3 cylinder, and it's quite nippy about town, but also very frugal) I'm 6 ft 2in and theres tonnes of headroom, its really quite spacious inside.

I'd get the 5 door, if you do, and also the later you leave it towards the end of the year the better deal you'll get. :lol:

I don't think the Tata Nano isn't in full production yet, Nitefly :lol:

Chewie - I thought about the Mini. But it's not really that small of a small car, is it? It's as long as a lot of cars that appear to be larger.

My main concern is that parking is a nightmare in this city and a tiny car could easily slot into spaces that all the full-sized Mercs, BMWs, Audis and various 4x4s that clog the city can't quite access.

Then, of course, you want ABS, power steering and A/C.
MARKB said:
Why not consider second hand for an even better bargain? Or to avoid depreciation altogther can you not lease long term?

I've done this for years now as every two years i simply hand back the car and get a new one. No huge deposits - no depreciation, just a fixed cost and easy exit.

Let's be honest unless you buy the car outright in cash or keep the car for 5yrs +, no one really owns their car.
Yes, 2nd hand is the way to go. That's what I'm planning.

Although, I should note, people here have a very poor idea of depreciation. I've been perusing the top auto website and used cars that are 1-3 years old sell at only a small discount to a new car.

The other reason I wanted a small inexpensive car is so as to pay cash for it. Once you add the cost of borrowing to depreciation, cars are a poor investment!

Thanks everyone for all your advice, especially you Liam (here and in person)
In the end, decided to buy a new car as the one I wanted has only been around here for 2 model years and buying used was going to save very little... less than $1k.

After contacting all ~10 of their dealerships in the city, I found the one place that had a 5-door automatic Peugeot 107 in stock. Yes, just one in the whole city. Apparently the European habit of practically shutting factories down in August meant less availability this month.

This one car was silver... I wanted black, but silver was 2nd choice. Trekked 20-odd km to the place and found out the one in stock had no A/C and that the dealer couldn't install it. :evil:

So, after a bit of grumbling at a system (managed by the auto manufacturers) in which a whole damn city/region of 18 million plus doesn't have one simple little car in stock, I took the plunge and ordered this:
107.jpg

The Morbyd Mobile
Peugeot 107
5-door
2-tronic (automatic... actually, a "robotic" manual which supposedly boosts efficiency & reliability)
"Trendy" package (A/C, CD player with Aux plug, electric windows, airbags, power steering)

Delivery within 31 business days
:D
8)

Back