Amy Winehouse... (again)

Love the way people don't give a **** cos she was an apparent junkie - hadn't touched drugs for some was an alcoholic but its terrible when some dies. From taking ecstasy at a nightclub no difference. I don't understand why she doesn't deserve respect addiction is an illness easy to sit and judge. We don't know what demons she was battling. In any event they say it might be seizures which she has suffererd with. At the end of the day she was not a murderer or anything evil and her parents have lost their daughter.

It's an interesting question - why does Winehouse, a single death, appear to resonate with so many people in comparison with the multiple murders in Norway?

The simple answer, I think, is that art, and in particular music, bind us together in a way that Xmas trees don't. I don't mean that flippantly - I just mean I don't have a 'hook' in Norway. I've never been, don't really know any Norwegians (lovely though I'm assured they are) and it's not somewhere I recall coming up in conversation.

Winehouse, without being a big fan or anything, I've discussed countless times, I've sung along to a few of her songs in the car (more reminiscent of some of her more chemically-assisted wailing, I can tell you!) and I've read more junk press about her than I should really have given time to. And I guess, that'll be the same for a lot of people.

Winehouse, without being a big fan or anything, I've discussed countless times, I've sung along to a few of her songs in the car (more reminiscent of some of her more chemically-assisted wailing, I can tell you!) and I've read more junk press about her than I should really have given time to. And I guess, that'll be the same for a lot of people.

Probably right to a degree or whatever there - that and the fact that some of us had a bit of a soft spot for the gal if truth be known ... who couldn't fail to be left with a big impression from a sight of Amy in all her glory, in various states of disarray !

So the Norway killings are more important than Amy Winehouse but is Norway more important than some place like Somalia where people get butchered every day?
This is a clubbing forum where some people come to talk about stuff related to music. Amy Winehouse fits into that category so it's more likely to be a topic of conversation.
Go to a right wing forum and there will probably be a whole load of people talking about the killings in Norway and not a mention of Amy Winehouse.
It makes me laugh when people on a clubbing forum think that whatever they are talking about is what everyone else is talking about. Nobody cares what clubbers think, apart from other clubbers. :lol:

As noted above, sad but not surprising.

I'd take it a step further and say that it was expected. We knew this day would come.

She put out some great music. I'd even say she was an engaging live act although bordering on train wreck.

As for the comparison with the Norway tragedy, I've certainly read more articles about the latter. It's sad to see anyone die young whether it's one tragic artist or 90 innocent young people. If I were a crying man, I'd shed one tear for Amy and 90 for those unfortunate Nordic souls.

So the Norway killings are more important than Amy Winehouse but is Norway more important than some place like Somalia where people get butchered every day?
This is a clubbing forum where some people come to talk about stuff related to music. Amy Winehouse fits into that category so it's more likely to be a topic of conversation.
Go to a right wing forum and there will probably be a whole load of people talking about the killings in Norway and not a mention of Amy Winehouse.
It makes me laugh when people on a clubbing forum think that whatever they are talking about is what everyone else is talking about. Nobody cares what clubbers think, apart from other clubbers. :lol:

It's funny old world, right enough. I can only speak for myself, but I definitely didn't rate any of the deaths discussed in order of importance.

You wrongly assume that in saying it resonates for many as meaning here?

Would you like a hand getting back in your box sir, or are you ok on your lonesome?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day how the f*** can you compare the two tragedies, you cant?They are worlds apart. I have alot of Scandinavian clients, Norweigan in particular. And they are very quiet unasuming soft natured people, I havent met an arsehole yet. So it has rather upset me this tragedy like uit has alot of people.

As for Amy, We could prolly all see it coming, hell I even poste a couple of vids pages previously of her car crash come back tour. I think the thing with her though which was the same with the like of many other talented people who died too young, is that we can recognise it is such a sad tragic waste of not just a huge talent, but of a young life, probably not much younger than most of us.

I like to remember her before the drink and drugs took hold, she was a massively talented singer and musician. Take a look at this vid of her in her younger years, you can appreciate really what she was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0wDr3Uqj8

And as for Back to Black, it will now go down in history as a seminal album imo. She was very unique. It is such a shame we didnbt get to see th reformed Amy have her comeback.

RIP to both Amy and all the Norweigans :cry:

It's an interesting question - why does Winehouse, a single death, appear to resonate with so many people in comparison with the multiple murders in Norway?

Because I have everything to say about music and nada to say about terrorism. Doesn't mean I'm devoid of compassion.

Saw this on another forum too - on the button?

If consumer-capitalism ever does enter an entropic phase and begin to shut down, I hope the first institution to go is the vile pop music industry. Too many young people like Amy are sacrificed to its twin imperatives of authorising hedonistic excess and ecapism and pushing performers into bursts of creativity that they are not capable of responding to. She was not 'great', she was just a young girl with a pretty decent voice and a few songs - nothing more and nothing less - and she should have lived a happy life singing them to appreciative audiences.

Please allow me to extend my deepest sympathy to her family, and the families of all young people who fall foul of the irredeemably exploitative and decadent culture of late capitalism. At least Amy can rest in peace and not worry about having to endure decades of drug-induced pressure just to end up advertising butter or car insurance.

Because I have everything to say about music and nada to say about terrorism. Doesn't mean I'm devoid of compassion.

Saw this on another forum too - on the button?

If consumer-capitalism ever does enter an entropic phase and begin to shut down, I hope the first institution to go is the vile pop music industry. Too many young people like Amy are sacrificed to its twin imperatives of authorising hedonistic excess and ecapism and pushing performers into bursts of creativity that they are not capable of responding to. She was not 'great', she was just a young girl with a pretty decent voice and a few songs - nothing more and nothing less - and she should have lived a happy life singing them to appreciative audiences.

Please allow me to extend my deepest sympathy to her family, and the families of all young people who fall foul of the irredeemably exploitative and decadent culture of late capitalism. At least Amy can rest in peace and not worry about having to endure decades of drug-induced pressure just to end up advertising butter or car insurance.

Yeah, makes sense (your comment and the quote)

If consumer-capitalism ever does enter an entropic phase and begin to shut down, I hope the first institution to go is the vile pop music industry. Too many young people like Amy are sacrificed to its twin imperatives of authorising hedonistic excess and ecapism and pushing performers into bursts of creativity that they are not capable of responding to.
To be fair, her record company did try to make her get straight. Her biggest hit was about how they tried to make her go to rehab!

It's funny old world, right enough. I can only speak for myself, but I definitely didn't rate any of the deaths discussed in order of importance.

You wrongly assume that in saying it resonates for many as meaning here?

Would you like a hand getting back in your box sir, or are you ok on your lonesome?:lol:
I know I rarely post in this forum but that's because I really don't care much about what anyone here has to say. :lol:

The simple answer, I think, is that art, and in particular music, bind us together in a way that Xmas trees don't. I don't mean that flippantly - I just mean I don't have a 'hook' in Norway. I've never been, don't really know any Norwegians (lovely though I'm assured they are) and it's not somewhere I recall coming up in conversation.

I think you should add 'adversely' before the word resonate, in many cases anyway..me included.

No sympathy, no comparison to the nightmare in Norway.

None at all. I can't believe how you can even compare the two?

Whatever everyone's views on addiction, she died because it was her choice. She chose to die. Plain and simple.

The 98 innocent people in Norway had no such luxury.

Drug use is a choice it is tragic that a death occurred. She took the path that led to her death unlike the lost souls in Norway.

If I were a crying man, I'd shed one tear for Amy and 90 for those unfortunate Nordic souls.

Well put.

Every death is a tragedy.

Not pleased but unsuprised to see some using it as a platform to either a - underline their own morality the 'why are people bothered about her when 90 have died in Norway' or worse, highlight their musical taste 'she is no Morrisson/Cobain etc'.

Back