American Football

I got hooked on american football last year seeing as I had nowhere to go on the weekends. College Football on Saturdays and NFL on Sunday. I could never get into the pace of it when I tried to watch it years ago but seems like its clicked with me now.

I got hooked on american football last year seeing as I had nowhere to go on the weekends. College Football on Saturdays and NFL on Sunday. I could never get into the pace of it when I tried to watch it years ago but seems like its clicked with me now.
NFL reduced the TV timeouts considerably a couple of years ago and brought the speed of the game up a lot. Average game is ~ 3hours instead of 3.5-4. College went the other way with some rule changes, its 5-5.5 hrs a game now. NFL also opened up the passing game a ton with some rule changes, made for a more high scoring style of play.

NFL reduced the TV timeouts considerably a couple of years ago and brought the speed of the game up a lot. Average game is ~ 3hours instead of 3.5-4. College went the other way with some rule changes, its 5-5.5 hrs a game now. NFL also opened up the passing game a ton with some rule changes, made for a more high scoring style of play.
I'm not sure why, but I think I preferred watching college. Just seemed more competitive or something.

I'm not sure why, but I think I preferred watching college. Just seemed more competitive or something.

I agree. It's more exciting. The guys really want to "go pro" so they give it their all. More tactical variability in styles of play between teams. Also it's much more unpredictable, so more chance of an upset

No 2nd or 3rd division for NFL....
Even so, can’t imagine 80k turning out at Barnsley in the Championship.

Although I’d imagine a fair few of the college teams are in areas nowhere near an NFL side, so have a captive audience locally

Even so, can’t imagine 80k turning out at Barnsley in the Championship.

Although I’d imagine a fair few of the college teams are in areas nowhere near an NFL side, so have a captive audience locally
Correct, there is a captive audience of 100K students, plus alumni (which grows every year). I still follow muh' university team (on TV) and I graduated 19 years ago.

Only the largest schools have an 80k stadium, btw. Most would be lucky to bring in 20-30K attendees on a weekly basis! My school's stadium had 66K capacity and it was a major division school.

Correct, there is a captive audience of 100K students, plus alumni (which grows every year). I still follow muh' university team (on TV) and I graduated 19 years ago.

Only the largest schools have an 80k stadium, btw. Most would be lucky to bring in 20-30K attendees on a weekly basis! My school's stadium had 66K capacity and it was a major division school.
Almost every D1 football program (127 schools) has a 50K + stadium now. Most are much larger, a couple in the 40k range. College football got absolutely insane a few years ago when they redid their broadcasting rights. Divisions started getting HUGE TV contracts (looking at you SEC...) and schools started getting paid.

College is almost unwatchable for me now. It's WAY too long for a game now, vastly uncompetitive, almost zero defense, and recruiting makes for a wildly unfair environment. Still fun to go tailgate and go to games tho :D

I love watching Red Zone on Sky here in the U.K. on a Sunday ... somehow I’m a Vikings fan because of some pre-internet online NFL play by email game I was playing back in the 80s

I love watching Red Zone on Sky here in the U.K. on a Sunday ... somehow I’m a Vikings fan because of some pre-internet online NFL play by email game I was playing back in the 80s
Red zone is amazing, love Chris Hanson. If you play fantasy RZ makes Sundays 10x more fun

Back