American Football

BTW, when we were in NY we went to see a Nicks' game at the Madison Square garden and we were really disappointed. The place is huge and great, but there's not atmosphere till the very last minutes, people seems to be more worried with their burgers and XXXL drinks than in what's happening in the game and I also think the NBA game is boring and too individualist.

we went to the knicks nets derby game and it was fantastic. the gardens were half empty but there was still a good atmosphere..........nowhere near like at a football match but thats not comparing like with like.

i thought entertainment wise, it was great. in terms of a passionate sporting affair, it was nothing.

we went to the knicks nets derby game and it was fantastic. the gardens were half empty but there was still a good atmosphere..........nowhere near like at a football match but thats not comparing like with like.

i thought entertainment wise, it was great. in terms of a passionate sporting affair, it was nothing.

We watch an average of 3 live games/month, barça Palau is a toy sports center compared to the Madison but people here is supporting, singing and shoutting from minute 0 to minute 40. Spanish supporters are considered player number 7 (player number 6 is the trainner). At the Nicks' game everyone seemed sleepy and bored.

BTW, when we were in NY we went to see a Nicks' game at the Madison Square garden and we were really disappointed. The place is huge and great, but there's not atmosphere till the very last minutes, people seems to be more worried with their burgers and XXXL drinks than in what's happening in the game and I also think the NBA game is boring and too individualist.

I know what you mean Erin and I went to a Knicks game in Decemmber 05 and I had a great time everyone was asleep till the last quarter! I just loved the whole spectacle of it with the half time show and all the entertainment.

We watch an average of 3 live games/month, barça Palau is a toy sports center compared to the Madison but people here is supporting, singing and shoutting from minute 0 to minute 40. Spanish supporters are considered player number 7 (player number 6 is the trainner). At the Nicks' game everyone seemed sleepy and bored.
I went to a Washington Wizards game a few years back and the atmosphere was great. People chanting players names and all. I also don't remember seeing a lot of people with burgers and XXXL drinks!

The one difference I noticed in European basketball games, at least as far as CSKA Moscow is concerned, is that the fans have more coordinated songs and chants. Those are the diehard fans, of course.

I went to a Washington Wizards game a few years back and the atmosphere was great. People chanting players names and all. I also don't remember seeing a lot of people with burgers and XXXL drinks!

The one difference I noticed in European basketball games, at least as far as CSKA Moscow is concerned, is that the fans have more coordinated songs and chants. Those are the diehard fans, of course.

Maybe what you consider a standar size of a drink is a XXXL to me.

The games are totally different, NBA has special rules. If you can't notice them you don't know too much about bkt.
have you been to a Spanish BKT game, btw? :confused:

have you been to a Spanish BKT game? :confused:
Sil, I think it depends on what you're used to. You're right when you say the European game is more team-based. But there is also a bit of showmanship when teams are built around one or two outstanding players who do amazing things, as you'll often find in the NBA. Both styles have there merits.

Though I think you'll find a lot of American basketball fans do prefer our university-level game to the NBA. It's closer to what I think you're used to. Which reminds me, March Madness (the university finals tournament - top 64 teams in the country) is coming up soon :)

No, haven't been to a Spanish game. I do want to catch a Barca - CSKA match someday.

Sil, I think it depends on what you're used to. You're right when you say the European game is more team-based. But there is also a bit of showmanship when teams are built around one or two outstanding players who do amazing things, as you'll often find in the NBA. Both styles have there merits.

Though I think you'll find a lot of American basketball fans do prefer our university-level game to the NBA. It's closer to what I think you're used to. Which reminds me, March Madness (the university finals tournament - top 64 teams in the country) is coming up soon :)

No, haven't been to a Spanish game. I do want to catch a Barca - CSKA match someday.

Of course, I totally agree with you, it's all about what you are used to. I stick on my european basketball, I find it more interesting and entertaining, it's a team game and in the NBA looks more of an individuality game.
And trust me, Madison Square Garden is amazing, but how disappointing the lack of interest and self motivation of the attendants. Thanks god it was Nicks - Spurs which was supposed to be a good game :eek: :lol:

BKT here is great. We are best league in the world and bkt has the most unconditional supporters in Spain
CSKA is playing with DKV Joventut (they are from here), which are much stronger than us this year

I know what you mean Erin and I went to a Knicks game in Decemmber 05 and I had a great time everyone was asleep till the last quarter! I just loved the whole spectacle of it with the half time show and all the entertainment.

same here...........more entertainment than sport. enjoyable to see something different.

the half time show consisted of some 5 year olds trying to slam dunk on mini size nets. some girl failed miserably and everyone started booing her and proper shouting at her "you suck man", "get off you loser", etc - only in america!:eek: :lol:

No. It's the top 16, and the round starts 15th february
The Top 16 is the second group phase! 4 groups of 4 teams.

I just don't remember how it goes after that. Is it the top 2 teams in each group go into the quarterfinals? Or do you go straight from this to the final 4?

The Top 16 is the second group phase! 4 groups of 4 teams.

I just don't remember how it goes after that. Is it the top 2 teams in each group go into the quarterfinals? Or do you go straight from this to the final 4?

Err.... I don't know :eek: :oops: :lol:
Anyway, I doubt this year we arrive to the final. We are the most expensive team in europe but it's being a quite disappointing season for us :(

Wrong...

For recreational drugs, suspension after the 2nd positive test.

For performance-enhancing drugs, 4-game suspension for the first positive, 6 games for the second, one year for the third.

I think i plucked that figure out of the air... :lol: It was a guesstimate of what i was told back at uni. Thats still bad that its only 4 then 6 games suspension. In the grand scheme of things its not alot considering that they have to be unlucky enough to get caught on one particular day. I still think a great deal of the defensive line will be on roids.

TBH Silv, I wouldn't know one end of the European league from another.

My only knowledge of 'ball comes from the days when I used to be into the magic Bulls team of the mid 90's.

I love the glamour of the dunks n stuff, but it's just the principle that the entire game is attritional attack/defend, merely to set yourselves up to be in with a shout for the last couple of minutes of a game. I could watch a 100 games, if I could only watch the last 5 minutes, but the prior 35 (or how many) just seem like biding time, making sure you don't make a mistake/so you can keep up with your opponents.

Watching American sports is amazing though, As I said before, I can't recommend enough going to watch a baseball game (it sounds like the Basketball games are similar)

My only knowledge of 'ball comes from the days when I used to be into the magic Bulls team of the mid 90's.

I love the glamour of the dunks n stuff, but it's just the principle that the entire game is attritional attack/defend, merely to set yourselves up to be in with a shout for the last couple of minutes of a game. I could watch a 100 games, if I could only watch the last 5 minutes, but the prior 35 (or how many) just seem like biding time, making sure you don't make a mistake/so you can keep up with your opponents.

Watching American sports is amazing though, As I said before, I can't recommend enough going to watch a baseball game (it sounds like the Basketball games are similar)

Went to a baseball game a few years ago while on holiday in US on the recommendation of a mate. I found it deadly dull to be honest. Just went on and on. But each to their own

- really liked Basketball when we went to watch Miami Heat last year tho

Also CFL (Canadian Football) nis different than NFL.. different league different rules

Which American football are you talking about Badger ?... or did you even know there are two leagues? :lol:

No, I didn'e realise that there was Canadian Football too. In my quest to learn more I've looked at the rules and now I understand everything about it. Including all the funky moves the referees pull... such as

conkick.gif
illsub.gif
ground.gif
tripping.gif

Although I now understand both American and Canadian football, I have come to the conclusion that there is only one football... Football!

No, I didn'e realise that there was Canadian Football too. In my quest to learn more I've looked at the rules and now I understand everything about it. Including all the funky moves the referees pull... such as

conkick.gif
illsub.gif
ground.gif
tripping.gif

Although I now understand both American and Canadian football, I have come to the conclusion that there is only one football... Football!

:lol:
Well if you saw it on TV you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference... i can't usually... america has the superbowl and Canada has the grey cup..

I only have ever been once to an 'American' football game (Canadian.. CFL) but that was because i was at the time stalking someone and he ended up hooking up with some girl... so from then I dont' like CFL football:lol:

Bulls on the 90's, not a bad choice ;)

I see your point and I imagine you are right. But I belong to the team that always wins or looses on the third time so the perspective of the games are different :lol:

When I immigrated to the US, I started watching football; mainly NFL (Dallas Cowboys and SF 49ers). Morbyd, these were the days of Emmit Smith, Steve Young, etc. Dallas was my favorite team. After that rivalry ended, I stopped watching the game as the players bounced around quite a bit.

Even though I went to University of Texas, where football is huge, I was not too much of a football fan. But, that all changed in 2002 when I first saw Vince Young (now with Tennessee Titans). For those of y'all who are interested in football, watch the National Championship game which was held at the Rose Bowl in 2006. The amazing thing is that while many critics doubted his style of game would work in the NFL, he has done very well. I have watched all his games this year by going to sports bars. Next year, I will get the Dish Network and subscribe to the NFL package just to watch his games.

Back