American Football

F**K off! :lol:

Though, admittedly, the addition of about 1,000 commercial breaks into the television coverage has made it a lot more difficult to watch than when I was growing up.

As for the pads thing, these aren't some wussy little rugby players. If you had a 350 pound guy hitting you head-on at full speed, you want some protection to! In a way it makes the game more vicious - no one's afraid to put their head down and knock the hell out of you.

It's an amazing game. If (proper) football and cricket weren't my religion, I'd almost declare it the greatest sport in the world.

It's the ultimate example of a group tactical combat.

And, as leagues go, American sports are unique in the way they have structures in place that balance out teams season on season, so there's rarely long-term whipping boys, or dominant forces that can buy up all the players.

I got through phases of getting really interested in it (and I haven't watched it seriously for a good few years).

Oh, and the comparison to rugger's unfair. Big rugby players are mad. Nothing more nothing less. They also drink each others piss though, so I'm less impressed with their desire to stand in front of 12 foot kiwi's that can do sub 11 second 100m. You should compare American footyers them to the bunch of pussies and tarts we call (proper) footballers. Ronaldo being the one that first springs to mind.

I've never watched a game of it in my life but I felf compelled to watch the Superbowl last night. I knew it took a long time to play the game but 3 hours to play 60 mins was pretty amazing!
I really enjoyed it despite not understanding anything about the game, the terms such as "rushing" (which I always thought was something you get clubbing if you're really lucky):)

Bit tired this morning but it was worth it ,not sure if I'd be that keen to sit that long to watch a game again though?

I much prefer Basketball, and Baseball (played on the Nintendo Wii)

I've never watched a game of it in my life but I felf compelled to watch the Superbowl last night. I knew it took a long time to play the game but 3 hours to play 60 mins was pretty amazing!
I really enjoyed it despite not understanding anything about the game, the terms such as "rushing" (which I always thought was something you get clubbing if you're really lucky):)

Bit tired this morning but it was worth it ,not sure if I'd be that keen to sit that long to watch a game again though?

You only watched it because youre not at work today ;)

I still dont undersand the whole "2nd & 20" terms they use

I'm beat as well... the game was on from 2:30 until 6:00 here. Even with the post-game nap I took before going (3 hrs late) to work, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Despite having grown up on American football, I don't watch it so much anymore. Partly, it's because of the time difference and the fact you have to be at a sports bar with Sky Sports or North American Sports Network to see it. Also, the endless commentator babbling and commercial breaks in the modern game drive me nuts.

That said, I'm always up for a Washington Redskins game or a good playoff matchup... and the SuperBowl of course.

Dan - you're generally right about the league's revenue sharing and salary cap keeping things interesting. Nevertheless, some teams seem steeped in mediocrity for far too long. Eg: The Redskins! A decade of heartbreak.

And lastly, there was a commercial last night advertising the first-ever regular season game to be played outside the US - Oct. 28, Miami v NYC, at Wembley!

On offense, the team gets 4 plays to move the ball 10 yards or else the other team's offense takes over. If they move 10 (or more) yards, then they get 4 more plays.

So, the first attempt (first "down") with ten yards to go is 1st & 10.

You'd only get 2nd & 20 if there was a penalty that backed the offensive team up, or if the defense tackled an offensive player behind the "line of scrimmage" (i.e., the place where the play started).

Got it? ;)

You only watched it because youre not at work today ;)

The sense of satisfaction I have about knowing all of this is half the fun sometimes. Most of this was built on Cyberball, and then Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football on the Megadrive (pissed on John Maddens IMO).

I don't mind baseball (I have actually seen a game live, and it was amazing!), but Basketball, for all the fun it is to play, is possibly the dullest game to have to endure for the length of time it's on. It's like a test match, but with ou the fun of cricket!

I also watched the Superbowl last night....:confused:

1 - I got into it after about an hour...but as soon as things started getting exciting and the commentator a little heated....it stops and they start all over again! What is that all about?

2 - Dont understand the rules at all!:confused:

3 - Is it just me or do you have no idea where the ball is...there just appears to be random men running around the field shoving and pushing each other.

I think I´ll stick to football.

The sense of satisfaction I have about knowing all of this is half the fun sometimes. Most of this was built on Cyberball, and then Joe Montana's Sports Talk Football on the Megadrive (pissed on John Maddens IMO).

Quality game Dan, amazing how it didn't survive the endless reincarnations we have to endure on Madden:?:

3 - Is it just me or do you have no idea where the ball is...there just appears to be random men running around the field shoving and pushing each other.

No, I also struggled to track the ball too they need a premiership style dayglo yellow I think!

I don't mind baseball (I have actually seen a game live, and it was amazing!)
Live baseball is great... if not so much for the game then for the atmosphere, comraderie, & beer consumption. There are moments of excitement though...

Also CFL (Canadian Football) nis different than NFL.. different league different rules

Which American football are you talking about Badger ?... or did you even know there are two leagues? :lol:

my old housemate played for the GB team as well as being in the Herts uni team (they were one of the best college teams in the country but now they are a bit pap). I think he plays for london O's now. He never used to shut up about the game! His enthuiasm did rub off on me a bit. I've never watched a full game but i do find it entertaining. There's something satisfying about watching someone get sacked and the proceeding taunts from the crowd!

:lol:

Half the fun of watching the super bowl is for the commercials, they are crazy/hilarious which is why the super bowl has a little more commercial time than a usual game. Tracking the football becomes easier the more you understand the game. Take a rugby team and strap pads on them and they would be killed by football players (football gets the biggest, strongest, fastest, athletes in the US), there is just no comparison.

Athletes who can fail random drug tests up to 4 times before action is taken.
Wrong...

For recreational drugs, suspension after the 2nd positive test.

For performance-enhancing drugs, 4-game suspension for the first positive, 6 games for the second, one year for the third.

Basketball, for all the fun it is to play, is possibly the dullest game to have to endure for the length of time it's on. It's like a test match, but with ou the fun of cricket!

Years ago London Towers were on the Euroleague. They played here and I was there. I totally understand you don't like basketball, Dan, if your only reference is LT, which looked to me closer to Globe Trotters to a "normal" team ;)

Basketball is a great sport to watch and hundred times more exciting than football, but of course, as in every sport, the fun depends on the quality of the team / league.

BTW, when we were in NY we went to see a Nicks' game at the Madison Square garden and we were really disappointed. The place is huge and great, but there's not atmosphere till the very last minutes, people seems to be more worried with their burgers and XXXL drinks than in what's happening in the game and I also think the NBA game is boring and too individualist.

Back