Am I getting old?

Frankie goes to Hollywood (and related synth pop) was intended for an adult audience. The irony and smut was brilliant.

as a 10 year old I would spend my evenings with my big earphones plugged into my stereo in my bedroom listening to depeche mode, spandau ballet, human league, the normal, simple minds, devo, kraftwerk, tubeway army etc

I was mad for synth music

Frankie goes to Hollywood (and related synth pop) was intended for an adult audience. The irony and smut was brilliant.
You really believe that? Come on!

Frankie Says Relax t-shirts were the must-have taboo of the 1980s!

It was marketed at us just like all music is - through radio and video. We didn't listen to separate radio stations or watch a special kids-only MTV!

Pop music, music, and adverts are targeted at tween and teens. We old folks don't get it never will. It is all about making the dollar, pound euro, or whatever money you spend for goods. When I was a teenager I wanted to get whatever was the most under ground/ naughty. If they didn't play it on the radio it was on my tapes, 12"records or albums (CD's later on). Parents must teach kids right from wrong, You can't blame the music or movies for a child that ends up in jail or worst. I monitor what my child does at home are him with good knowledge and try to debunk the crap he hears at school.

It annoys me that it seems that everything is getting dumbed down to lowest possible denominators across the board.

There's a programme on E4 called "Suck My Pop" which is obviously meant to sound like "Suck my Cock"? Why? the outrageous is the mainstream now and it's all starting to look grubby.

You really believe that? Come on!

Frankie Says Relax t-shirts were the must-have taboo of the 1980s!

It was marketed at us just like all music is - through radio and video. We didn't listen to separate radio stations or watch a special kids-only MTV!

It was intelligent humorous irony. Still funny today and therefore relevant.

Compare this to all the mass produced tripe these days - obviously aimed at the simplistic adolescent space.

There is a clear distinction of intent here.

...and this isn't a rant that began at 30 Bez - I've been on this bandwagon since the age of 11 which clearly means I've been a hasbeen all my life. ;)

pop music died because youth subcultures all morphed into essentially one or two factions. Whereas in the past you had ravers, indiekids, metallers, casuals, grebos, crusties, skinheads, raggamuffins, mods, hippies, junglists - now you have your bling brigade on the one hand or your ashen faced, nu-goth wristcutters on the other (latter often beaten up by former) and this has had a catastrophic impact on pop culture. Whilst people like Peel would champion the weird and wonderful, there is noone doing that now on the internet (certainly, R1 betrayed his memory) so kids aren't allowed to give full reign to their imaginations, there is no outlet for it so everyone is just amalgamated into the same tribe, which is all done very earnestly and humourlessly. As Confuscious once said, 'the sunflower that sticks out gets chopped down'. Which coupled with the media's ruthless drive to pigeon-hole everyone means that you really have to travel far and wide to meet anyone with a personality, because you sure as hell won't at your local emporium. On a positive note, there still are youngish performers determined to send the pop industry up - the recent spoof Newport (state of mind) is a good example, see also Scroobius Pip and Mike Skinner (on his day) who are both very clever wordsmiths, but it is at least 20 years now since young people had anything to say and with all the injustice around and all the things they should be shouting about, the music desperately needs a generational kick up the rear. Maybe a Tory government will galavanise it like last time? but is x-box generation ready to do that? hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
^
All is not lost, BBC 6 Music has Tom Ravenscroft (son of Peel) on friday nights 9 till 12.

On the odd occassion I am afforded a chance to listen to BBC 6 Music, I'm never disappointed it is brilliant. Mark Riley's show is also one worth checking out, he even plays a lot of Fall (Peels fave band) tracks despsite his indifference to (mad) Marc E Smith :D

I've noticed that I'm betting old. I just don't undestand the music that these modern kids listen to these days. Like that Tarantula. Doesn't really ring my bell.

Actually a while ago they asked my ID in a shop when buing some booze. Ok the age limit for that is 20 so they thought that I was 12 years or more younger than I am. So, made me feel young for a while.

But then in one shop this young mother said to her kind, that the kid shoud gime way to the uncle (meaning me) when I was passing by. So, that made me feel old. Like really old. Seriously.

Cool. Something to look forward to......... its an amazing experience, especially the first.

If its a girl.......prepare to be enchanted and wrapped around their little finger:)

yeah congrats man!! second what Bez says about daughters ;)

PS before you go off on a rant about it being a conspiracy, perpetuated by the cynical, capitalist dairy companies and manufacturers of powdered forumulas................................

They do ACTUALLY NEED MILK!!! :lol:

PS before you go off on a rant about it being a conspiracy, perpetuated by the cynical, capitalist dairy companies and manufacturers of powdered forumulas................................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the little one, Olly :)

ha! nah, it's all good - cheers for the shouts - I've been told it's gonna be a boy

relations with the mother-to-be have been pretty stressful (some would say toxic) at times but you just have to look beyond that - just try and keep it smooth and help out where you can

put a deposit down to rent a 1bed in stoke newington last night and now have to wait for a couple of weeks whilst they chase for references.. if the application for the flat gets turned down (am sweating) and my current flat gets filled in meantime, then I am well and trully fcked...

none of which, of course, has the slightest relevance to the original post

Back to the OP (ahem)....
I'll unashamedly admit to being totally addicted to vocal trance. Armin Van Buuren, DJ Shah, Above and Beyond, Matt Darey, Delerium etc etc et al.... basically there's been nothing (apart from One Dove and dear old t.A.T.u.!!) since the Cocteau Twins, until a DJ decided that if a remix wasn't at least eight minutes long it wasn't worth doing.
So my (several) i-pods are full of the above. Thank you, di.fm. Thank you 1club.fm. Thank you everyone who has uploaded stuff onto the DJmixes forum here.
Oh, and I'm 52 next month.

Congrats Olly mate, its is a truly amazing time !!

someone once told me boys are better as you only have to worry about one dick, with a girl you have to worry about 100's ;)

:spank: FFS don't say that :spank: I'm dreading the day she becomes a teenager :spank:

I can see myself being horrid with the lads she brings home. you've just got to hope you've educated them well and brought them up correctly.

Do you know what the next one is JJ :?:

(sorry for hijacking thread)

i agree with this and what robert said.

but, the main thing is that i know my kids (daughter specifically) won't end up being the dumb katie perry submissive puppy dog type, because of the way they've been brought up.

blame it on the parents i say.

Nope my kids listen to what we do (god help them) and enjoy it. Always dancing and singing along whether it be dance or indie whatever. They love T-Rex I Love To Boogie and you should see the dance that goes with it.

When my son goes back every week I have to do him a new cd to take with him, always consists of Carly Simon Why withour fail! However he does have a guilty pleasure of Alex Berk and Lady Gaga due to his mother but we all have our dark secrets.

Back