Am I getting old?

Robder

In the 90s, chart music had some good moments and it wasn't unusual to find Prince, 808 state, the farm, Suzanne Vega, Soul2Soul etc etc all sharing the top 10. 8)

Then the under/overground divide got bigger and now it's primarily an industry aimed at kids (along with suburban saddos).

I happened to catch a Katie Perry video premiere last night and it dawned on me that this was teeny bopper music. Unlike Madonna's pop in its day (Erotica was marketed as an adult album and banned from TV etc) it's clear this stuff is just not aimed at adults by any stretch of the imagination.

Why then are record companies speaking directly to children using images of KP ripping her clothes off and getting her jollies with some bloke? To me there's something a bit sinister about the whole affair...and it's not the overt sexual imagery that annoys me, it's more the Americanised sexist sh!t that's pedalled down their throats as something normal.

Example - fit shirtless bloke pumps iron while KP hangs in the background with innocent eyes, looking on like the submissive female puppy dog that she is. FFS at least empower young girls with their sexuality - it saddens me that the next generation of girls is likely to subscribe to this cheap razzle R&B styled slut giving all her power away to the next bloke.

2010 and we're still subscribing to this Christianised 'all women are whores' model.

Kill the record industry. Ugh.

Had to get that one out. :lol:

Robder (Mary) Whitehouse.

No - I'll feel a bit better when Pete Waterman and his American counterparts are all publicly hung drawn and quartered - preferably on a prime time TV slot. :lol:

...or maybe my anarchist tendencies are more suited to the bus pass generation these days. :oops:

I'm sure every generation thinks the pop music of the next generation is a load of trash.

And there certainly are fewer boundaries as to what we show the kids these days.

Is it worth getting upset over? I don't know... I don't really pay much attention.

As someone who has kids (not girls though), I tend to agree with Robder.

Too many times I have to change channels when the latest "Pop Diva" is rubbing her twunt at the camera and Mini Jam's head cocks to one side like a confused collie dog...

Nice one. ;)

Children shouldn't be covered in cotton wool and shielded from the world but equally, they're being brainwashed with sh!te around regressive gender stereotypes which should've died out years ago.

no, you're not getting old. when you're old you don't give a monkeys about chart music.

I'm sure every generation thinks the pop music of the next generation is a load of trash.

And there certainly are fewer boundaries as to what we show the kids these days.

Is it worth getting upset over? I don't know... I don't really pay much attention.

i agree with this and what robert said.

but, the main thing is that i know my kids (daughter specifically) won't end up being the dumb katie perry submissive puppy dog type, because of the way they've been brought up.

blame it on the parents i say.

This is something I've noticed more and more lately. There a definate change in what you will hear on the radio or see on TV.

Not sure whether it's because i've got two little girls now or if i'm "getting old" but so much on TV and in Music is getting more and more smutty.

I was listening to a pop song the other day on the radio 1 and the lyrics were " can i get you out of your panties".

I immediately thought "what the hell must kids think when they hear this"

I expect if it continues too far all the kids will rebel and grow up celibate because they'll get sick of having it rammed down their throat. :lol:

But I also remember how much i loved NWA, 2 Live Crew etc when i was at school and it didn't turn me into a homophobic misogynistic screwball, so i suppose it's best not to get too carried away. But then again none of this music i listened to was acceptable mainstream stuff, although everyone seems to have the tapes and CDs.

I wouldn't under estimate most kids ability to put things in context themselves, but like Grego says that's where the parents come in.

i agree with this and what robert said.

but, the main thing is that i know my kids (daughter specifically) won't end up being the dumb katie perry submissive puppy dog type, because of the way they've been brought up.

blame it on the parents i say.

:lol:

the real skill in parenting is helping them make the transition from dancing around to "the doctor is a friend of mine", "the dino dance" and other Barney classics to air guitaring to "communication breakdown" by led zepp!! :lol:

I also ask if im toom old because im definately not "down with the kids" with 90% of todays chart music, however there is still some excellent "new music" out there

the xx, delphic and foals to name 3 relatively new bands that have lit up my world recently.

I was listening to a pop song the other day on the radio 1 and the lyrics were " can i get you out of your panties".
I heard some old old song the other day (can't recall which one) and I remember thinking that the lyrics were very easily interpreted into something rather risque. Something from the 60s. Basically said something similar but in a more roundabout way.

I don't think suggestive songs are anything new. The language has changed. And perhaps we've taken to less obscure ways of saying the same things. Either way, people understand what's being said.

What gets me is the images... they don't much cover up the boys and girls in the videos these days. What happened to modesty? :lol:

I remember my parents banning me from buying "Relax" by Frankie goes to Hollywood after they saw on the news it had been banned from Radio stations & Top of the Pops.

Sadly they failed to check the tracklisting on "Now that's what I call Music II" that they bought for my birthday a few Months later...

:rolleyes::lol:

the only access I have to that whole dreadful world is when unfortunate enough to travel with the plebs on public transport, and forced to hear kids phones (an experience usually leaving you want to go on a murderous rampage)

the rest of the time it is actually possible to live in splendid ignorance if you plan your leisure time carefully

I think kids (anyone from 4-21) should NOT be allowed to infiltrate festivals for discerning/older ravers either - the reports from the big chill all ran along the lines of "great music, shame about the balloon-inhaling, beer-swilling teenagers everywhere"

I've got a baby due in a couple of months and it will difficult to know in a few years time (on the days when I have access) to know what is acceptable - because your instincts go on what you were allowed at the same age. But I think I was very innocent and not sure you can apply that to the modern age when there is more information and people need to be smarter and more streetwise than they used to be. I will warn him though that he will be disinherited if he even thinks about wearing a Green Day t-shirt! :)

I don't think suggestive songs are anything new.

Nope.

But the market has changed.

Frankie goes to Hollywood (and related synth pop) was intended for an adult audience. The irony and smut was brilliant.

Today's pop music is made especially for 12 year olds as the intended audience. The language is simplistic and the delivery is accessible. This is the part I find disturbing - again not for the sexual content per se, but more for the naff portrayal of women to minors.

I think its the music that is changing. Back in the 90's there was more writing talent and bands about that could last a few years on the circuit and come up with one or two good tracks. You could make a living doing gigs if you had a Top 40 entry.

Today its all about quick turnover and production. People like Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh now decide what kids listen to these days. All Cowell and Wlash are interested in is money and success. They are not going to waste their time and money trying to manage some troblesome band that wont do what they tell them to do.....instead they produce talented but naive performers that will work very hard, taking a smaller percentage and be happy to do so just for the fame and stardom that Cowell can easily fastrack.

Music today is just a buisness so we may as well get used to over produced, marketed, slick and by the numbers routines. The days of music being associated with hellraisers doing groupies and drugs backstage is long gone. Its all sugar and teasing spice now.

Can you imagine Simon Cowell or Louis Walsh trying to manage the Happy Mondays:D

the whole cowell phenomenon shows how the country is increasingly polarised between the very smart and the very thick

and there is really very little you can do about it - the internet was supposed to democratise everything and open minds but the opposite has happened - how are you supposed to find a maverick, a Peel on the internet now? people consume pop like they consume burgers - it is more crude and cynical than ever

you can't hold back the tide, all you can do is find your kindred spirits and retreat to the dark corners - which is exactly what I did when pop culture died, at some point in the 90s

Can you imagine Simon Cowell or Louis Walsh trying to manage the Happy Mondays:D

would love to see sean ryder holding a gun to those two in dry bar, backed by a couple of salford scallies while he hands over a tape full of nothing :lol:

Back