Alcohol - totally over rated!

Actually that's a bit of a myth, I used to have really weak knees but running has actually strengthened them :idea:
Not at all. Too much running destroys my knees!

I used to play ultimate frisbee a lot and I'd be crawling the next day. And that was a decade ago when I was still young :lol:
(edit: to clarify, the sport involves a lot of running)

I find biking a lot easier on the knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that's a bit of a myth, I used to have really weak knees but running has actually strengthened them :idea:

For now... I know people who've knackered their knees due to running or even just sports like football which require a lot of running. Ironically this means they have to reduce exercise and lapse into unfitness later in life.

It's why I stick to weights and walking.

Not at all. Too much running destroys my knees!

I used to play ultimate frisbee a lot and I'd be crawling the next day. And that was a decade ago when I was still young :lol:

I find biking a lot easier on the knees.

Different things work for different people, I think if people carry excess weight (not you I hasten to add :lol:;)) then running is definitely more likely to lead to bad knees because of the extra weight they are carrying around and subjecting to their poor knees :lol:

Fortunately it's had the opposite effect on me, I can actually feel how much stronger my knees have got in the last 12 months or so.

For now... I know people who've knackered their knees due to running or even just sports like football which require a lot of running. Ironically this means they have to reduce exercise and lapse into unfitness later in life.

It's why I stick to weights and walking.

And I also know people who've run for 30+ years and never been plagued with any type of knee injury and are running now well into their 50s and 60s.

We don't all fit one mould, different things work for different people.

Running will not strengthen your knees and is very bad for them hence why things like shock reducing trainers (as in footwear), cross trainers (as in gym apparatus) etc were invented. Running on grass or a tread mill is slightly better than on pavement or road. Too much alcohol on the other hand can disable your lower body leaving you in a slumped heap and hence is very gentle on the knees :)

And I also know people who've run for 30+ years and never been plagued with any type of knee injury and are running now well into their 50s and 60s.

We don't all fit one mould, different things work for different people.
. This reminds me a bit of those people who say my great gran smoked all her life and she never got lung cancer. It's known as increased risk. You are increasing the risk of damage to the knees but you won't definitely damage them. Then you can make your choice.

Some say running makes your face sag too. I decided to give up running after hearing about that and also the sound my knees make when I lower my body is akin to nails across a blackboard :)

Running will not strengthen your knees and is very bad for them hence why things like shock reducing trainers (as in footwear), cross trainers (as in gym apparatus) etc were invented. Running on grass or a tread mill is slightly better than on pavement or road. Too much alcohol on the other hand can disable your lower body leaving you in a slumped heap and hence is very gentle on the knees :)

Ok my physio obviously didn't know what he was talking about then :rolleyes:

Running works for some people, doesn't for others. In the same way the gym works for some people, doesn't for others. And every other form of exercise in between. And in the same way drinking works for some people, and doesn't for others.

I do find it really odd how some people can just switch from one extreme to the other without finding a middle ground, it's almost like they're afraid to have a drink or two in case they slip into alcoholism or lose their marbles?

:lol:

Different things work for different people, I think if people carry excess weight (not you I hasten to add :lol:;)) then running is definitely more likely to lead to bad knees
I should note that I was thin as a rail back then! :lol:

. This reminds me a bit of those people who say my great gran smoked all her life and she never got lung cancer. It's known as increased risk. You are increasing the risk of damage to the knees but you won't definitely damage them. Then you can make your choice.

Some say running makes your face sag too. I decided to give up running after hearing about that and also the sound my knees make when I lower my body is akin to nails across a blackboard :)

http://fittipdaily.com/running-can-actually-help-strengthen-your-knees-4693/ One of several thousand articles that say running can actually help your knees.

In the same way that you'll find umpteen thousand articles voicing the opposite opinion.

Different things work for different people.

Don't say we didn't warn you when you're hobbling along on a zimmer at 60. ;)

My cousin's in a wheelchair now after wearing away all the cartilage from his knees through his running habit. He had virtually no warning of this until one day his legs just gave way half way through a 10k run. Nothing they can do for him.

It would be foolish to suggest this would happen to everyone who runs but is just an example of the potential risk.

Personally, I just don't see the benefits of exclusive running for the effort employed. It works a relatively low number of muscles, obviously mostly in the lower body but is extremely taxing on other body parts such as ligaments, tendons, bones etc. Much better, and far more fun to mix it up like I mentioned above. I've done gym training for many years and yes it becomes monotonous but have recently gotten into kettle bells (which is GREAT for the core and muscles you don't often use) and circuits (which is loads of fun and is easy to mix up the routines).

My cousin's in a wheelchair now after wearing away all the cartilage from his knees through his running habit. He had virtually no warning of this until one day his legs just gave way half way through a 10k run. Nothing they can do for him.

It would be foolish to suggest this would happen to everyone who runs but is just an example of the potential risk.

Personally, I just don't see the benefits of exclusive running for the effort employed. It works a relatively low number of muscles, obviously mostly in the lower body but is extremely taxing on other body parts such as ligaments, tendons, bones etc. Much better, and far more fun to mix it up like I mentioned above. I've done gym training for many years and yes it becomes monotonous but have recently gotten into kettle bells (which is GREAT for the core and muscles you don't often use) and circuits (which is loads of fun and is easy to mix up the routines).

And yes that is very unfortunate for your cousin, but on the other hand you get 1000s and 1000s of people who run all through their life without any injury whatsoever.

As I keep saying, different things work for different people - for me personally I couldn't think of anything more boring than being in a gym, whereas there is nothing more that I love than a long run which bores lots of people senseless...but each to their own and what works for them. I'm sure you could go online and find detramental and conflicting side effects to every form of exercise going.

Maybe we're all on the wrong track and we should be drinking and chuffing away on the fags with Morbyd :lol:

Drew, a girl called Fiona Oakes ran 250km across the Sahara in the Marathon des Sables back in April. She holds numerous British records, can run 3:00 marathon. What is different about her is she has had knee replacement surgery as a teen.

Presumably the knee replacement option is not open to people ver a certain age, or not possible for the injury of your cousin?

I've done gym training for many years and yes it becomes monotonous but have recently gotten into kettle bells (which is GREAT for the core and muscles you don't often use) and circuits (which is loads of fun and is easy to mix up the routines).

I just do weights in the house. Couple of hours is a good chance to catch up on iplayer with some of the good shows R1 broadcast in the wee hours. I also keep a spreadsheet of what I do. I have my own 'system' for adding a set or moving up a weight on an exercise, which keeps me motivated and wanting to push it. Mind you, I do have a fear I'll lose balance and drop a weight on my head while doing chest presses someday. :eek:

When I go walking, it's in the country with some of the terrain quite challenging (scrambling up steep banks). I should be out of breath by the end, but I'm not moving so fast that I miss what's going on around me. I combine it with my newfound interest in nature and foraging. :D

Back