Afterlife @ Hï 2023 - Reviews & Reports

Reading some of these comments I have been starting to doubt seeing ToU in September. However im currently watching Anyma at Tomorrowland and I have been firmly pulled back in. So good and clear evidence of dancing. I'm blaming the July crowd for the video above!

Reading some of these comments I have been starting to doubt seeing ToU in September. However im currently watching Anyma at Tomorrowland and I have been firmly pulled back in. So good and clear evidence of dancing. I'm blaming the July crowd for the video above!
I was watching also. Interested to see the Tale of Us set tonight too.

The problem with the vid clips posted on here and on social media is that they don’t really represent the full party. I said it a few posts ago, but those moments are usually the big production moments where everyone takes a video and stands around. Was glad to see it wasn’t like that for every song, was more like every 2-3 tracks…..and this is a short Tomorrowland set, so I image it’s not as bad at Hi.

Having that said, some of those visuals are just straight up cheesy. The characters doing dance moves make me cringe hard. Some of the visuals are actually pretty cool though and add to the experience.

Speaking of cringe, wtf was Matteo wearing?? He has some sort of plastic contraption on his shoulder that looked ridiculous. He also has become more and more douchey behind the booth….arm movements reminding me of Armin or Tiesto. He has too many “yes” men in his camp clearly.

Music was meh. Tough to judge because all the vocal cheese comes out at Tomorrowland. Some good tracks, but too many vocals and long breakdowns for me. The long breakdowns almost need the visuals tbh.

All things considered though, don’t think it’s as bad as perceived through the 10sec video clips. I think the overcrowding situation in Hi is a bigger problem from what I hear.

Im not knocking Hi as a club as ive only experiened one night ... But Afterlife at Vista compared to Hi i can comment as ive experienced both. Vista wins hands down. These visuals are great for 20 seconds! Are we going out to listen to music or enjoy a cinematic show. Its pure bollocks.

Are we actually close to going out clubbing and the night being judged on how spectacular it was visually as opposed to the music being played!? Very sorry state of affairs if so

One thing I’ve noticed over the last week (across a number of parties and clubs)… a lot more clips on IG of faster music, people dancing and moving and clips when there are less phones in the air…

I was watching also. Interested to see the Tale of Us set tonight too.

The problem with the vid clips posted on here and on social media is that they don’t really represent the full party. I said it a few posts ago, but those moments are usually the big production moments where everyone takes a video and stands around. Was glad to see it wasn’t like that for every song, was more like every 2-3 tracks…..and this is a short Tomorrowland set, so I image it’s not as bad at Hi.

Having that said, some of those visuals are just straight up cheesy. The characters doing dance moves make me cringe hard. Some of the visuals are actually pretty cool though and add to the experience.

I much prefered Tale of Us in the end, there was a lot less of the cheesy visuals and the music was alot like their classic sound with less vocal breakdowns. So they didn't really need the gigantic butterfly near the end.

The problem with the vid clips posted on here and on social media is that they don’t really represent the full party. I said it a few posts ago, but those moments are usually the big production moments where everyone takes a video and stands around. Was glad to see it wasn’t like that for every song, was more like every 2-3 tracks…..

People standing still every 2-3 tracks to record for Instagram and Snapchat sounds like hell

Thursday busiest I’ve ever seen Hi. Was at Prydz on Monday as well but Thursday significantly busier, pretty much shoulder to shoulder to the door. Tale of Us coming on at 4 feels pretty late and they only played themselves until about 5.35 before going B2B with Camelphat until 6.30. Key for Hi definitely seems to be the further forward you get the more space you’ll eventually get

I was there on Thursday. Absolutely rammed. First time in Hï. I'm a veteran of Space and have so many good memories of that place and the original open air terrace, so it was fun to try and spot what was still there and what had been changed.
Brina Knauss was playing a solid set in the club room. We went to the Theatre for Sven - really loved his set. A real bouncy mix just made for dancing, including dropping Talk Talk's It's My Life at about 3.30am. Me and the more "mature" clubbers going crazy - the younger ones standing around confused. Haha. The screens were pretty static and not distracting during his set - the Afterlife upside down guy spinning.
Tale of Us absolutely as expected - it's a show/experience rather than a DJ set. The huge disjointed breakdowns did become a bit tedious I have to admit. I like to know when the beat is going to slam back in and with them you can never predict it, which really upsets my OCD and my four-on-the-floor sense of rhythm. But there were some good tracks with the occasional big video moment when the phones came out (including my own on a couple of occasions - I admit that here with a sense of mild embarrassment ;)).
I was really impressed with the sound system in the main room in Hi when Tale of Us came on. That is one powerful f*** off system. After a couple of hours of Tale of Us however I actually felt physically assaulted by some of the music and had to go to the garden to escape for a bit.
Unfortunately I left Ibiza yesterday - I'd love to go back to Hï for Black Coffee or another night more purely geared towards the music and dancing. Hopefully next year.....

I was really impressed with the sound system in the main room in Hi when Tale of Us came on. That is one powerful f*** off system

That’s good to read. I always thought it was awful sound in there, so maybe they’ve sorted it. By ‘awful’ I just not as good in comparison to the other big clubs (it’s all relative).

That’s good to read. I always thought it was awful sound in there, so maybe they’ve sorted it. By ‘awful’ I just not as good in comparison to the other big clubs (it’s all relative).
It's certainly not the beautiful rich sound of Pacha - but it's punchy and hits you in the chest when Tale of Us had it going full pelt.

Back