Afterlife @ Hï 2023 - Reviews & Reports

just call it a modern art exposition already, because this is certainly not what a PARTY looks like in my books

I agree. I think when the projection and graphics get as good as this, I agree it is now verging on an art exhibit.

This is now more than people filming ‘the drop’ on their phones.

People have stopped moving, they are filming an art exhibition.

the industry is as much to blame imo. when you put djs on elevated stages, when you hype/turn them into tourist attractions, when you create massive visual displays for people to gawp at, when every single detail is designed to create a rock concert vibe instead of people dancing with each other, then this is the logical consequence.. you reap what you sow

Last edited:
the industry is as much to blame imo. when you put djs on elevated stages, when you hype/turn them into tourist attractions, when you create massive visual displays for people to gawp at, when every single detail is designed to create a rock concert vibe instead of people dancing with each other, then this is the logical consequence.. you reap what you sew

I think that’s a seperate debate to be honest. The DJ is centre stage now, and that’s not going to change. I also have no issues with people working hard all year and wanting to get a 10 second clip of a good part of a set for a memory.

But standing still for a long period, not dancing while some immersive experience goes on around you is now crossing over to something else.

The fact is production is now just too damn good at some of these events that people stop in awe of it.

It's NOT a separate debate. It's fundamental to all of this. I've been saying this for years and years and pissed a few people off but it's TRUE. They created a monster, completely divorced from the roots. They turned Acid House into Disneyland.

We’ve done Afterlife a couple of times both in Ibiza and at Printworks in London and it’s definitely more like going to a music concert than what I would call ‘clubbing’.
At Akasha and Chinois last week no one was on their phones because there wasn’t anything to film. So then people focus on the music and actually dance. This is definitely our preference but my other half does occasionally like to go see the big productions too. I guess you just have to know what you’re going for.

ToU now curate a soundtrack to go along with their visuals, simple as that.

Its absolutely shite to listen to i know that.
I think you are spot on there.
Last year at Hï closing they didn’t have any of the visuals going on and coincidentally their set was actually pretty good.

ToU now curate a soundtrack to go along with their visuals, simple as that.

Its absolutely shite to listen to i know that.
Finally some backlash, although I'm surprised it's taken so long. Apart from slightly 'better' visuals they've been peddling this schtick for at least 2 years. So dull. I get that it's popular....i just don't get it at the same time....

A lot of times when you see these clips of a sea of phones it’s usually a big moment where of course everyone wants to take a vid. But usually there are only a handful of these moments in the night and everything in between is a proper party with people dancing, phones away.

Do these big moments with the breakdowns and robot character visuals happen at like every song or only a few times throughout the night? I haven’t been to an Afterlife party since before a lot of these overdone visuals.

Last edited:
events like this one are so far removed from what 'clubbing' actually stands for. I get it the production is next level at afterlife and holo for example. but genuinely the sea of mobile phones and people just standing there are turning me off 100%.

where's the dancing?
where's the getting lost in music?
where's the escapism?
where's the dancefloor's feeling of unity?
where's the social interaction between clubbers?
where's the artitsts' spontaneity and improvisation?

just call it a modern art exposition already, because this is certainly not what a PARTY looks like in my books.
100% agree. I will say coming from clubbing in the early 90’s with zero production except for UV’s, hand painted wall hangings, this video production is mind blowing but as you say it really is like an art installation not a club, certainly not a dancer floor? It could be in a shopping mall or Art gallery and probably get more respect.
Actually quite disappointed with Hi, considering the fun, interaction joy of the likes of Glitterbox or even their club room on certain nights, but guess it’s not aimed at us but the new generation of phone people- l don’t even use socials anymore, let alone bring a phone out when clubbing half the time. Dressed to dance simple. It’s all just one big commercial money making machine now. What’s a Disco without dancing… More craic at Sunday mass :rolleyes:

Back