Afterlife at Hï Ibiza 2018

Went last night. First off let me just say that we all had a fantastic night. Music was really good. I only caught a bit of Adriatique which sucked cause they are one of my favorites. Ame live was a nice lead in to TOU. TOU was great. We stayed on the dance floor for 5 straight hours.

The club itself is OK. I never really loved Space because I missed the after hours days. I like the updates they made other than the pod vip booths, although they did their best to hide them. The bathrooms are much better (less waiting). Outside areas are great, didn’t really miss the top terrace. Sound in the main room was pretty good. Not outstanding, but good.....bass sometimes washed out the mids.

Crowd was just OK as well. The VIP pods were laughable.....the scenes that I saw were just hilarious. But the main floor was pretty good. No aggressive pushing and generally good vibes. It was full, but you could move. Things did start to thin out starting 4:30 probably. Crowd was pretty clued up, not as good as a Cocoon crowd, but better than where I come from. Never went to the club room, but the one time I walked by it late night it didn’t seem that busy.

Overall really good night, but it could have been held in a cardboard box and it would have been a good night. I still think with Hi’s budget they could have done something more (and I’m not talking about Vegas more.....more creativity I mean)

Bonus comments:
1) Met up with my long lost brother Stivi, he is still the man in case anyone forgot
2) Donald Trump’s are indeed alive and well on the island. Very nice press. Also found a soundcloud on the floor.....lucky me.

Seems like the opening was not a one-off. Exceptional musically, lacking elsewhere

[QUOTE

Hi had to completely change from Space, whereas Pacha seems to have created an even better version of itself by taking the things we used to love: the Spanish finca feel, white walls, multiple levels - and made those things better, and turned the things that used to hate - small dancefloor, those steps we almost died on every night, and bad sound - and seems to have flipped those things into the things people are now raving they love about it.[/QUOTE]
Will be my first time in Hi next week for Afterlife, so can't really comment too much. However, I think what both Pacha & Hi were trying to do to was slightly polar opposites, but both very successful in their own way. Watch the video below, and I kind of like the concept of what they trying to do with the Theatre.

http://high-scream.com/hs_projects/hi-becoming-reality/

The idea of this blank canvas that can morph into something different each night - I kind of like the thought process behind it, and we are probably seeing that this season with Afterlife one light making the place look like a dungeon, to say Glitterbox 24 hours later where it looks like some 70s gay New York discotheque.

Hi had to completely change from Space, whereas Pacha seems to have created an even better version of itself by taking the things we used to love: the Spanish finca feel, white walls, multiple levels - and made those things better, and turned the things that used to hate - small dancefloor, those steps we almost died on every night, and bad sound - and seems to have flipped those things into the things people are now raving they love about it.

I understand what you trying to say with the blank canvas concept but to me and many others the club is nowhere near as good as space. I understand why they wanted to try and differentiate hi to space as people would compare.
They have killed the discoteca with those vip booths, the sound system isn’t nowhere near as good as space. Not only this look at the music policy. Yeah ok they have afterlife and black coffee but then there’s 3 EDM nights and that rubbish Cathy guettas got going on.

What has happened?

The terrace in space has been transformed into a room which you can pretty much get in any place in the world.

In mine and many others Ibiza has lost something special with space and it will never be replaced.

Anyway that’s enough of me moaning. Il never be a lover of Hi. Have a good night at Afterlife when you visit

Last edited:
[QUOTE

Hi had to completely change from Space, whereas Pacha seems to have created an even better version of itself by taking the things we used to love: the Spanish finca feel, white walls, multiple levels - and made those things better, and turned the things that used to hate - small dancefloor, those steps we almost died on every night, and bad sound - and seems to have flipped those things into the things people are now raving they love about it.

I understand what you trying to say with the blank canvas concept but to me and many others the club is nowhere near as good as space. I understand why they wanted to try and differentiate hi to space as people would compare.
They have killed the discoteca with those vip booths, the sound system isn’t nowhere near as good as space. Not only this look at the music policy. Yeah ok they have afterlife and black coffee but then there’s 3 EDM nights and that rubbish Cathy guettas got going on.

What has happened?

The terrace in space has been transformed into a room which you can pretty much get in any place in the world.

In mine and many others Ibiza has lost something special with space and it will never be replaced.

Anyway that’s enough of me moaning. Il never be a lover of Hi. Have a good night at Afterlife when you visit[/QUOTE]
Space won’t be replaced or repeated. The much loved owner had the best part of three decades to plan for a replacement but didn’t do so or failed to execute any plan. Space served its purpose for him. It was wonderful while it lasted. I had some amazing moments there when it was a day club and latterly as it became a night club. There were also plenty of empty events. 27 years is a very long stint for any club. Music evolves as do club customers. There are v few that are still turning out for a break in Ibiza that were there in the 90s and 00s. For the vast majority Ibiza clubbing holidays are a short term thing. For you and I hi isn’t what we want it to be but we aren’t the target market and they pack them in every night with a different sound more then space ever did, with exceptions like afterlife.

Back