ACS custom pro ear plugs

lee111s

Afternoon all,

I'm going to get my ear impressions taken on Saturday to get some ACS custom pro's as I'm starting to get pain the day after clubbing and I'm not getting any younger.

Does anyone have these? I'm unsure whether to get the 15 or the 17 filter? They offer one free filter swap in the first 30 days after purchase so I may try the 15's and if they're not giving the protection I need, go for the 17's. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Lee

I have 15dB and for me that's enough. I'm actually sometimes more on the side of thinking 'I could do with a little less' (something like maybe 12dB?). so, again just for me, 17dB would definitely be too much.

but everyone is different - I'd try the 15dBs, go out a lot during one month and you'll know whether it's enough or not. also bear in mind that you'l have to get used to them - the first few nights felt a bit odd for me. also if I'm going out after having a quiet period the first night is a bit weird again. but in summer when I'm out all the time they feel totally natural to me. best purchase I've made.

Thanks Stivi. I definitely need something and I understand that everyone has different levels of ear sensitivity. The ringing is lasting longer and longer each time I'm out though...

I'm going to Elrow at Digital Newcastle on the 15th April and then Adam Beyer on April 29th, both should be a good test. I think I'll go for 15's and see how they go.

I don't go out THAT often but I'm at a loud club at least once, maybe twice a month, plus my trips to Ibiza so I definitely need some sort of ear protection as I don't wanna be deaf by 30!

I use -24db ones (link below), which I find fine in most venues, but some are louder than others. Pacha I'm sure must get up to 120+db, ushuaia on other hand db meter showed 90-100 and been open air seemed less of a problem.

I lost one of the green filters on my last night few years ago in Pacha and ever since that ear has noticeable tinitus; the rest of the group who used no ear protection where pretty much deaf when we left for a good while!!

Defo a very good investment, pro or otherwise ear protection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proguard-Noizezz-Attenuating-musician-earplugs/dp/B006ZWWHBC

Custom fit need to remove less DB I believe, as they are moulded to your ears.

The standard ones (I've got a pair of Alpines, on my fourth pair in five years, due to get custom fit ones this year) tend to take out more DB through the filter as they let in sound round the edges, in an attempt to compensate for that gap.

If you've got the money and you don't loose things on a night out, go custom!

ah definitely only custom. if you want ear plugs go for the real deal. it's not cheap, but SO worth it.

I'm going for custom plugs for sure. I seem to have small ear canals and in the past when I've tried the generic ones, they either hurt, or get pushed out. I go out regularly enough to justify the cost and really, I don't think that £125 is bad for something which allows you to enjoy something you really enjoy doing. I'm going for the pro 15. They're said to give a flat 12db reduction peaking to 15db for the high's that can be dangerous.

Hopefully they come before Elrow on April 15th! :D

Have you guys ever used these when djing?

My ears have taken a real bashing recently and worried I might end up with permanent tinitus. It isn't the clubbing so much but djing when monitors are bad and you end up making headphones really loud to be able to mix.

They also make some very well regarded in ear monitors. They're not cheap at around £650 however, can you put a price on your hearing?

I have a little amount of tinitus which is what has prompted me into getting them!

They also make some very well regarded in ear monitors. They're not cheap at around £650 however, can you put a price on your hearing?

I have a little amount of tinitus which is what has prompted me into getting them!

Most DJs I've seen use them (Menno De Jong and Eddie Halliwell) don't actually take them out at all when they DJ

Most DJs I've seen use them (Menno De Jong and Eddie Halliwell) don't actually take them out at all when they DJ
Yeah ACS have a list of DJ's on their site that they have made them for including Deadmau5 amongst many others :)

So, they were AMAZING. It was still plenty loud, infact sometimes I was thinking it was still pretty loud and how on earth did I used to listen to music at the volumes it is at when not wearing the plugs.

I took them out for a couple of favourite tracks (voicemail <3) but to be honest it was then super loud, probably because I'd gotten used to the level of sound from the plugs.

I'm still unsure whether or not to change for the pro 17's which give a flatter reduction of around 15db across the range, they're close to the old ACS ER15's from what I've read.

I'm seeing Adam Beyer in Edinburgh then Heidi in Newcastle on bank holiday weekend so I'll keep the pro 15's (12db reduction) until then and make my decision after those two events. The reason I'm still undecided as that the music still seemed loud, almost too loud at some points and the people who I was out with, who don't wear ear protection, said that the club wasn't as loud as it has been in the past. So I'm wary that if I visit some clubs where it IS too loud without protection that I might still not get enough protection with the pro 15 fiters.

I'm very, very impressed thus far though. No ringing in the ears when leaving the club (other than my small existing level of tinitus) and my ears didn't feel tired. They're very comfortable to wear, you almost forget they're in.

I actually think it makes it easier to hear people talking to me when on the dancefloor however it'll take a little more getting used to talking as a lot of people couldn't hear me, I was probably talking too quietly due to me being able to hear myself quite loudly in my head.

I took them out when I went outside for some fresh air and I felt like professor Xavier out of X-men when he uses Cerebro and he can hear all the mutant conversations :D

I'll report back after the bank holiday weekend when I've made the decision as to whether I'm going to go for the slightly stronger filters.

I actually think it makes it easier to hear people talking to me when on the dancefloor however it'll take a little more getting used to talking as a lot of people couldn't hear me, I was probably talking too quietly due to me being able to hear myself quite loudly in my head.

This is a common problem. Ear plugs change the perception of volume around you. So you speak at the level you think you can hear, to match the volume your friends speak to you at. Sadly, your brain forgets that 15db+ has been taken off of what you hear.
You'll get used to it over time. If not, just repeat yourself :lol:

Look forward to the bank holiday report. Beyer in Edinburgh would be good.

I'm looking into getting some now too after getting back this year and having constant ringing for days on end, it's only just started to fade this week and has quite frankly given me a scary wake up call as to how easily you can damage something you take for granted. It's miserable trying to sleep and being distracted 24/7 by noise in your head.

It's one of those things that look 'lame' on the surface but I've now realised why people do wear them and I'm fully on board with it.

Do it! They're not lame at all, you'd be surpised how many people actually do wear ear protection.

The ACS ones are super comfy and really discreet. I honestly don't know how I used to listen to music without them!

every year more workers also have earplugs. I'm in my fourth season with plugs now and I can only repeat it's been one of my best investments ever. I don't wear them all the time and everywhere, but places like amnesia, dc10 (especially that) and space discoteca (even if the sound is crystal clear there) are just too loud.

At BPM the Solomum daytime party was stupidly loud. My earplugs were a life saver and the music sounded a lot better than without them. You dont even realise you have them in.

I got the -25 when I got them but swapped to -15 which are perfect for all situations for me.

I also got custom moulds for my Sennheiser in Ear headphones and they are great as don’t need to turn the music up as loud. Recommended.

Back