A Plea for Help

I get two weeks every four months to party.

I want to see Jean Michal Jarre in Amstedamn in May.

I'll pay for a front row ticket and more if your halfway fun to hang out with.

I dont speek Amsterdamian and cant figure out how to buy tickets.

I'm stuck in Iraq for at least 2 more years so I'ts not like I can fly to the venue and buy tickets between now and then.

I heard the Damn is a lot of fun too!

Dutch?

it was until they decided to shut all the coffee shops down :rolleyes:

He was clearly being sarcastic and they didn't 'shut all the coffee shops down'. You are the definition of ignorance.

Anyhoo, letsgetdown. Are your requesting the company of a spotlighter to accompany you to this or what ? I don't get it, if so you pay for everything and I'm there... you seem fun, and more importantly rich. If you just want someone to buy a ticket surely you can buy one on the Internet ?

If you just want someone to buy a ticket surely you can buy one on the Internet ?
Exactly... Dutch has enough decipherable words, and online ticket systems are usually quite standard, such that you should be able to sort yourself out.

The Dutch speak better English than some Londoners so I really wouldnt worry about a language barrier

I was there late October and as far as I could see - and smell - there were numerous coffee shops open all over Amsterdam, which is a pretty fun place with or without them, IMO...

I would imagine the Amsterdamian thing was a joke...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/07/amsterdam-crackdown-prostitution-drugs-crime

the good times are over... the Netherlands is getting more conservative and hence the squeeze

Irrelevant of that report, the mayor cannot just go round shutting coffee shops at will. The laws have changed, granted. But only the coffee shops who continually disobey the new regulations are getting shut down, by many accounts Amsterdam is just as enjoyable as it ever was. But people like you jump on the band wagon without seeing it and slate it, much like your opinion of Ibiza if I remember. 'Something has changed, it's over, it's crap, let's all kill ourselves'... then everyone starts to think it and the snowball keeps gaining momentum. Funnily enough, also how the credit crunch gained such importance, so I put it to you, that you have are personally responsible for the economoic situation around the world. Get happy, change, evolve, adapt.

cannabis is technically illegal in the Netherlands, prosecutors do not press charges for possession of small amounts and the coffee shops are able to sell it openly.

I've been to Amsterdam twice and had a pretty ace time - highlights last time were eating philosopher's stone mushrooms and then watching ajax v roda, buying a ticket off the politest tout I've ever met, eating the most amazing argentinian steaks, doing the canals, anne frank museum, and all the obv tourist bits. I like the vibe of the Dutch, very relaxing and engaging characters and friendly which is a real pleasant shock after the looks of hate/fear/disdain you routinely get in London. the only depressing thing is the sex trade and the sad fckers gawping in the windows - but at least the women there are getting some kind of health protection off the state, unlike this country which drives the problem underground.. :rolleyes:

Plan is for the changes to come in 2018.

i'm booking for my 11 visit tomorrow in april (sorry lets get down, jmj not my thing;)).

until the final shop closes & the final red light goes out, the attraction to people will be the same. you can still do what you want, when you went - there will just be less - however maybe this will up the quality.

Irrelevant of that report, the mayor cannot just go round shutting coffee shops at will. The laws have changed, granted. But only the coffee shops who continually disobey the new regulations are getting shut down, by many accounts Amsterdam is just as enjoyable as it ever was. But people like you jump on the band wagon without seeing it and slate it, much like your opinion of Ibiza if I remember. 'Something has changed, it's over, it's crap, let's all kill ourselves'... then everyone starts to think it and the snowball keeps gaining momentum. Funnily enough, also how the credit crunch gained such importance, so I put it to you, that you have are personally responsible for the economoic situation around the world. Get happy, change, evolve, adapt.

:eek:

I don't think you understand that the Netherlands liberal reputation is under serious threat in the same way Ibiza's is under serious threat. Authorities are clamping down, governments are flexing muscles, capitalist institutions and their mates in the police and other state insitutions want everything and everywhere yuppified. They fear young people having fun and being liberated because they equate that with chaos and states hate chaos.

I offered a personal opinion on a long weekend in Ibiza, which although limited was fair and balanced. I'm not some sheep that says it great because Pete Tong's PR tells me to think that and that point is what got people's backs up because I think it hit a raw nerve.

I have not been for 3 yr`s, But I have a friend who went over for a few days this summer, He was saying about the no smoking rules they have now, You can not smoke tobacco in a coffee shop, Straight what-ever but no using a cig in it, Great big pile on the table , But if they see you thinking about putting a bit of baccy in it , Out ya go,
He said it felt like being back at school, passing cig`s under the table like a naughty school-boy.

Have a good one
Tim

PS Olly, I have eaten at that steak house i think, amazing

PS Olly, I have eaten at that steak house i think, amazing
Which one? I swear there were at least 10 "Argentine" steak houses within a 5 minute walk of my hotel last time I visited... made me wonder how much of the beef was really from S. America!

letsgetdownanddirtybaby;1252965 [B said:
I'm stuck in Iraq for at least 2 more years[/B] so I'ts not like I can fly to the venue and buy tickets between now and then.

I heard the Damn is a lot of fun too!

Are you forced to stay in Irak?

What are the dates? I have good reason to vist Amsterdam follwoing my last Ibiza trip, and I need a good reason and that seems good enough, can pay my own way too! You will love Amsterdam, its more than just a lot of fun, theres always an adventure!

Jarre tickets go on sale tonight (pre-sale).

I speek no Dutch-eese. It might as well be Greek. I consider myself a smart guy but by the time I figure out how to register and get tickets sent to a friend in the states, there will be no good tickets left. I do the first couple of rows at a concert or why bother. I've been in the back and it's great but I am truly spoiled with age. I guess I need to date a teenager to feel appropriately happy to be in the back again.

I'm stuck in Iraq because there is no way to earn this kind of dough in the states with what I do. (Make schools bomb resistant).

As long as there is conflict, there will be guilty adults wanting to protect their kids.

Jarre is what I use when my cramped office gets noisy and I have to balance a war budget or use some sort of compromise when they're isn't enough money to cover an entire school. Thanks Jarre!

So, again if someone can arrange front side tickets to Jarre in the Damn, I'll spring for the price of the tickets and whatever weekend of extras can be arranged. A VIP package would be nice but I don’t see that on the web site.

The concet is May 26th at the Amsterdam Heineken theater. More than one person is okay but we may have trouble sitting together with availability of tickets together.

R.

The Iraqi civilians are stuck with you.
A little political there, Moha.

While you'll find few people anywhere who, in hindsight, support the invasion, I'd hardly say that him working as a contractor to bomb-proof schools (if that's what he really does) makes him someone the Iraqis are "stuck with". There are a lot of unstable countries, most of which without US military presence, that could use that kind of help... good that someone's paying him to do it.

Back