a new life, or not.........

Brilliant mate thanks, got all these bookmarked for when I get back which has been delayed a bit due to work......next summer is looking mighty fine!

your cut out and keep guide to moving to Spain:

1. have money to fall back on IF it goes to shit. You'll need it. And lots of.
2. learn the language (Spanish ahead of Catalan, but people will be impressed if you make effort on both)
3. get on top of the red tape. getting an NIE can be an absolute ballache. also check your healthcare options. I think the E111 or EU healthcard is up in the air post-Brexit but I've received contradictory advice on this. also check your tax status if you're self-employed. the 'declaraciones' are a total minefield
4. don't take a UK car unless you're going to convert plates after 6 months. you're better off getting a local one, unless you want to play cat/mouse with the cops. UK licence is ok (for now..)
5. distinguish going to live somewhere from going on holiday there. real life can be frustrating/depressing, even in paradise

2. learn the language (Spanish ahead of Catalan, but people will be impressed if you make effort on both)
3. get on top of the red tape. getting an NIE can be an absolute ballache. also check your healthcare options. I think the E111 or EU healthcard is up in the air post-Brexit but I've received contradictory advice on this. also check your tax status if you're self-employed. the 'declaraciones' are a total minefield
4. don't take a UK car unless you're going to convert plates after 6 months. you're better off getting a local one, unless you want to play cat/mouse with the cops. UK licence is ok (for now..)
5. distinguish going to live somewhere from going on holiday there. real life can be frustrating/depressing, even in paradise

very very good resume, very realistic approach this!

Much as I love Spain, sometimes I do find myself going mad. Especially when things don't get delivered, people/transport don't arrive on time, or you don't know if people are working on a puente, and as for queuing, forget it! I know that all sounds like lazy northern European stereotypes of the Spanish but even today there is still some truth in it (in BCN anyway). The quality of life is great in some ways, climate, hours, food, low crime rates but sometimes the vibe is just a little too relaxed when you actually want to get shit done....

Much as I love Spain, sometimes I do find myself going mad. Especially when things don't get delivered, people/transport don't arrive on time, or you don't know if people are working on a puente, and as for queuing, forget it! I know that all sounds like lazy northern European stereotypes of the Spanish but even today there is still some truth in it (in BCN anyway). The quality of life is great in some ways, climate, hours, food, low crime rates but sometimes the vibe is just a little too relaxed when you actually want to get shit done....

yeah that's true. for me as a swiss citizen it was pretty bad getting used to the fact that almost nothing works on a reliable basis (or on time). but there's no way around it - and the climate makes more than up for it for me personally!

Good advice, thankfully most of it does not apply to me, wish number 1 was one of them though!! haha

So finally all set to move in, can't wait to see the place in Spring.

Last edited:
Good advice, thankfully most of it does not apply to me, wish number 1 was one of them though!! haha

So finally all set to move in, can't wait to see the place in Spring.

So so so jealous mate. I can't describe just how much of my time is devoted to attempting to trying to convince the missis to move. I thought I was going to do it last year when we briefly split up but we sorted our differences out. I spend morning till night either on here. Youtube. Or just googling random ibiza related things. I have Savings. no kids. And all my mates round here are absolutely useless...To the point you can't even get them down the local to watch the footy for an hour. Instead of spending all my money on holidays I'd love to wake up in the sun majority of the year instead of walking to work at 5am in the wet and baltic temperatures. Only thing holding me back is my lady and my very real concern of likely being out of work 6 months of the year. In 2 years time I'll have a pretty decent deposit for a house. That's the judgement moment for me. Do I want to buy in the UK and spend 35 years paying it off but having money in long run. or buy in ibiza but potentially not be financially sound?

Lucky her. Any reason you never thought about a permanent move? Alot of people say how frustrating the Spanish attitude to things can be. Maybe if I had it all the time I'd feel different but I love it! I think I should have been born in Spain cause I sit at work listening and watching the little things that people blow out of preposition. I've always thought, if it isn't life or death. Don't worry about it. Maybe I'm delusional? Or just abit simple? :cool:

So so so jealous mate. I can't describe just how much of my time is devoted to attempting to trying to convince the missis to move. I thought I was going to do it last year when we briefly split up but we sorted our differences out. I spend morning till night either on here. Youtube. Or just googling random ibiza related things. I have Savings. no kids. And all my mates round here are absolutely useless...To the point you can't even get them down the local to watch the footy for an hour. Instead of spending all my money on holidays I'd love to wake up in the sun majority of the year instead of walking to work at 5am in the wet and baltic temperatures. Only thing holding me back is my lady and my very real concern of likely being out of work 6 months of the year. In 2 years time I'll have a pretty decent deposit for a house. That's the judgement moment for me. Do I want to buy in the UK and spend 35 years paying it off but having money in long run. or buy in ibiza but potentially not be financially sound?

Just be aware of how much it actually cost to buy there, the hefty deposit you have to pay for a place in Spain (I got 30% but was told 40% is the norm) plus with the taxes etc means you have to factor in another 15-16%. If you have that covered then I say go for it. Because you've put such a decent deposit amount down then mortgage repayments will easily be covered by renting the place out (long term obviously and not to tourists) if your circumstances changed. Happy to go into specifics over PM if you need to know anything about buying.

I think I'd rent for a few years over to make sure I like it. Like I said though, the tough task is convincing the woman to do it. Currently 4 years in and no joy yet :cry:

Back