2023 Flights

Just because you have priority boarding, doesn't mean you have to use it- can still get on the plane dead last if you want to. Additional weeing time.
Yes, that's right but it generally means the bag is placed as far away as possible from your seat, meaning you are also last off after fetching it!!

After my last Ryanair experience I'm swerving them now. Corporate vermin. Why in 2023 are people still expected to pay hundreds to be treated like shit and often sit in other people's too? TAP on the other hand the other week was lovely, clean plane, space for your legs, decent staff and somewhere to put your magazine etc.
Yes but cheap vermin! TBH I've never had an issue with them, virtually always been on time, I know the rules when booking, and dob't mind paying for extra legroom. My main gripes are left standing on a cold staircase and the hopelessly expensive on-board menu. Jet2 and Easyjet do at least have offers. If flight times and prices are pretty much the same, I'd go for easyjet or Jet2 (never Wizz, the worst of the lot apparently) but sometimes, like my return from Malaga coming up, Ryanair simply have the most convenient slot.

Of course that's only when Charles isn't available to fly my private jet. I once nearly had to slum it in Pete Tong's....

Yes but cheap vermin! TBH I've never had an issue with them, virtually always been on time, I know the rules when booking, and dob't mind paying for extra legroom. My main gripes are left standing on a cold staircase and the hopelessly expensive on-board menu. Jet2 and Easyjet do at least have offers. If flight times and prices are pretty much the same, I'd go for easyjet or Jet2 (never Wizz, the worst of the lot apparently) but sometimes, like my return from Malaga coming up, Ryanair simply have the most convenient slot.

Of course that's only when Charles isn't available to fly my private jet. I once nearly had to slum it in Pete Tong's....

they're not cheap anymore. the days when you could go to some norwegian airfield in sweden for a fiver are long gone.

they're not cheap anymore. the days when you could go to some norwegian airfield in sweden for a fiver are long gone.
True, but it depends on how you define "cheap" I suppose. The old £19.95 prices and lower were ridiculously cheap, I reckon that if you can get a return flight to and from Ibiza/southern Spain for under £200 including a decent seat, then I reckon that's cheap for these days. hey, getting on a train to London from Manchester can cost more if it's not advance!!

The most I've ever paid for a single flight was between £400-£500 when I was in my hotel room one evening, got a call from a very upset and distraught father that "mum had been taken suddenly and seriously ill" so I knew that I had to return home, any way I could, in as short a time as possible. So that's where the £400 went! Never thought that I might have been able to claim some of it back on insurance, like my dad my mind was going through a blender!!

the insanely cheap flights were an old trick they copied off the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers in the 60/70s who were able to wipe out western competition on the mass market. Similarly Ryanair are so dominant now they can afford to maximise profits and still kick you in the teeth because there is so little else out there now. Am personally fortunate because flying is less important now due to where I live but I'll pay extra for anyone else wherever I can or if that means driving or getting a train and not having to sit in someone's Pringles, even better.

the insanely cheap flights were an old trick they copied off the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers in the 60/70s who were able to wipe out western competition on the mass market. Similarly Ryanair are so dominant now they can afford to maximise profits and still kick you in the teeth because there is so little else out there now. Am personally fortunate because flying is less important now due to where I live but I'll pay extra for anyone else wherever I can or if that means driving or getting a train and not having to sit in someone's Pringles, even better.
If prices are heading back to the old days, then I would like to see the old style of travel back, that is "free" seat, baggage allowance and food on board etc. The airports used to be decent places in the 70's, not the hell-hole shopping precinct they are now.

But high air and hotel prices don't help those working 48-weeks a year for a pittance, even less so students that fill San An and the clubs. If there was a serious drop in the "cheap but cheerful/drunk(!)" tourists, how would PdB and San An cope, bars, hotels etc?? End up with too many rooms and not enough punters?

Or will fans of Ibiza simply save more and cut out costs at home so they get that annual booze-up holiday? Thus affecting the home economy?? At what point to folks on here say "hotels and flights are now too expensive...can't go - or will cut down the no. of nights??

If prices are heading back to the old days, then I would like to see the old style of travel back, that is "free" seat, baggage allowance and food on board etc. The airports used to be decent places in the 70's, not the hell-hole shopping precinct they are now.

But high air and hotel prices don't help those working 48-weeks a year for a pittance, even less so students that fill San An and the clubs. If there was a serious drop in the "cheap but cheerful/drunk(!)" tourists, how would PdB and San An cope, bars, hotels etc?? End up with too many rooms and not enough punters?

Or will fans of Ibiza simply save more and cut out costs at home so they get that annual booze-up holiday? Thus affecting the home economy?? At what point to folks on here say "hotels and flights are now too expensive...can't go - or will cut down the no. of nights??

we're certainly going back to the prices of the old days but without the comforts you used to take for granted at BA, Caledonian et al. Nobody under 40 who hasn't done long haul will ever have experienced the joy of beef stroganoff in foil or complimentary soothing Mantovani music moods in your arm rest.

you think the airlines give a shit if people earn a pittance? they know that people are desperate for the Med, cos what else are they gonna do? hitchhike by mule? the biggest 'budget' airlines have you over a barrel with a cast iron poker up your arse.

The tragedy is it doesn't have to be this way. There should be UK and EU-wide legislation enforcing basic standards of decency.

we're certainly going back to the prices of the old days but without the comforts you used to take for granted at BA, Caledonian et al. Nobody under 40 who hasn't done long haul will ever have experienced the joy of beef stroganoff in foil or complimentary soothing Mantovani music moods in your arm rest.

you think the airlines give a shit if people earn a pittance? they know that people are desperate for the Med, cos what else are they gonna do? hitchhike by mule? the biggest 'budget' airlines have you over a barrel with a cast iron poker up your arse.

The tragedy is it doesn't have to be this way. There should be UK and EU-wide legislation enforcing basic standards of decency.
Won't be long before Flixbus do London > Barcelona and then a ferry ticket thrown in!! They may already do...anyone??

But if air fares do go sky high then it's up to the rail companies to fill the gap and get passengers to the Med quickly and cheaply. If you are in or around London, then you are already three or more hours in credit not having to get to the airport, go through baggage and security; in that time you could be on Eurostar and flying past Paris! The "fastest" train to Barcelona is just under 11 hours, once onboard.

However - although saying that, aren't there long security and passport queues these days @ Eurostar? So that time saving has gone??

Won't be long before Flixbus do London > Barcelona and then a ferry ticket thrown in!! They may already do...anyone??

But if air fares do go sky high then it's up to the rail companies to fill the gap and get passengers to the Med quickly and cheaply. If you are in or around London, then you are already three or more hours in credit not having to get to the airport, go through baggage and security; in that time you could be on Eurostar and flying past Paris! The "fastest" train to Barcelona is just under 11 hours, once onboard.

However - although saying that, aren't there long security and passport queues these days @ Eurostar? So that time saving has gone??
Just the 25 hour Flixbus to Barcelona. Balls to that

1678898113629.png

They are looking at resuming the high speed Paris-BCN TGV INOUI but there is an unresolved dispute between RENFE and SNCF. Approx 6-7 hrs. The Intercité sleeper is about 10h to border. I know people who have got coaches from London to Spain. The words 'again' and 'never' were used..

I know people who have got coaches from London to Spain. The words 'again' and 'never' were used..
My first holiday abroad was one such trip. Camping too boot, somewhere on the Costa Brava. Blanes I believe. f***ed it down a lot that fortnight (actuality 10 days after you compensated for the travel) and our tent got flooded out at least twice. I think it must have been about 1991 or maybe 1992. My parents said the same and true to their word, we flew every family holiday since. Me and my brother and sister loved it though - what an adventure

Just the 25 hour Flixbus to Barcelona. Balls to that

View attachment 15471
Jeez..if that's the shortest, what's the....??

If I were doing that, I'd stopover in Paris and then the leg to Barcelona have a go at getting two seats together for one, and trying to kip. Don't think you're allowed alcohol on the coach but somehow I'm sure a mix of vodka and blackcurrent might find it's way on. Purely medicinal of course.

Last edited:
Just had a senior moment. Booked flights and a hotel, all swimmingly, printed everything off, looked at the dates of the hotel and it's a week earlier than the flight! Ahem. Thank goodness I paid the "free cancellation" up front, so it could be altered with a click! Trouble is, the "correct" week is £100 more than the earlier week!

Does sneak into the easter schoolie holidays a bit I suppose, and the week I had first was ridiculously cheap, leaving plenty in the budget for the proper week.

was expecting flights to be prohibitive during the coronation weekend but managed to blag a gatwick rtn for under 100€.
Think there is an extra bank Holiday for it, 1st, 29th are normal, the 8th is the extra one. Normally the first one isn't too much of a bother flight/hotels-wise, as it's just an oddity on it's own and not long after easter. But the pain is the end of May which is when the kids take their half-term week off so prices skyrocket. I noticed in Brighton the average price of rooms for that and the following week was 2- 2.5x higher than the week before.

Because of the exams it's hard for schools to spread that half-term around, but at least the weeks after aren't so bad price-wise until the proper holidays hit! TBH though I've noticed a big increase on last year for the end of June, my fave time for Ibiza.

Hey guys, allow me to open a new topic here. Is there anyone flyng this year to ibiza?
I notice that the flights, this year, are very expensive. I don't know if i sould wait or dont to buy nright now, they may be inflated or there is a lot of demand.
About 2x more expensive than last year..

Think there is an extra bank Holiday for it, 1st, 29th are normal, the 8th is the extra one. Normally the first one isn't too much of a bother flight/hotels-wise, as it's just an oddity on it's own and not long after easter. But the pain is the end of May which is when the kids take their half-term week off so prices skyrocket. I noticed in Brighton the average price of rooms for that and the following week was 2- 2.5x higher than the week before.

Because of the exams it's hard for schools to spread that half-term around, but at least the weeks after aren't so bad price-wise until the proper holidays hit! TBH though I've noticed a big increase on last year for the end of June, my fave time for Ibiza.
We are going that week, except we are flying on the Wednesday so we got a bargain, flights for 4 was £450 all in with 2 checked bags, 7am flight out and 11am back. We are letting our kids bunk off school for 3 days the following week and it’s saved a fortune. If they fine me I’ll rip it up, they aren’t bothered when they want to strike

Last edited:
We are going that week, except we are flying on the Wednesday so we got a bargain, flights for 4 was £250 all in with 2 checked bags, 7am flight out and 11am back. We are letting our kids bunk off school for 3 days the following week and it’s saved a fortune. If they fine me I’ll rip it up, they aren’t bothered when they want to strike
Funny how kids can be infected with Covid for three days!! I'd just ring in and say they're all coughing a bit. But you're right, it's OK for the staff to bunk off for several days, when the kids aren't being taught, but not the other way round.

Used to happen to me when I was a kid, dad's hols and school hols didn't match, but it was in the middle of summer when sod all was going on in class so I was allowed the week off. Think that should be policy, a pupil should be allowed five days off of their choosing which would help families enjoy a more affordable holiday.

Back