2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyallwood

well, as the title of the thread states, 2014 has been the quietest season I've ever seen.
V Club, the place I DJ'ed at 6 nights a week, closed it's doors for good on Sunday night. The West End is like a ghost town, and all the bars are suffering losses of between 10-30%.
Its not just the West End though, everywhere in San An is a lot quieter than usual, Gatecrasher is suffering, as is Es Paradis, even the likes of Itaca are quieter than normal.
The only ones that seem to be doing OK are the likes of Mambo & Ocean Beach.

Also, I don't think it's just San An, I went to PDB a couple of times over the past two weeks and it's just a street full of ticket sellers. Space 25th Anniversary did VERY well though, as expected, and I do believe Ushuaia do OK too, but the streets are so quiet.

I have a bad feeling about the place, I think it's dying.

R.I.P V Club 2010-2014

well, as the title of the thread states, 2014 has been the quietest season I've ever seen.
V Club, the place I DJ'ed at 6 nights a week, closed it's doors for good on Sunday night. The West End is like a ghost town, and all the bars are suffering losses of between 10-30%.
Its not just the West End though, everywhere in San An is a lot quieter than usual, Gatecrasher is suffering, as is Es Paradis, even the likes of Itaca are quieter than normal.
The only ones that seem to be doing OK are the likes of Mambo & Ocean Beach.

Also, I don't think it's just San An, I went to PDB a couple of times over the past two weeks and it's just a street full of ticket sellers. Space 25th Anniversary did VERY well though, as expected, and I do believe Ushuaia do OK too, but the streets are so quiet.

I have a bad feeling about the place, I think it's dying.

R.I.P V Club 2010-2014

I have been holding back booking flights and i noticed today they have come down in price. Maybe that has something to do with it being on the quiet side??

With so many festivals now offering the same line ups as Ibiza do and much cheaper all round holidays I don't think it's a surprise. I read the airport numbers are up again though already, maybe they're mostly all inclusive? Maybe Ibiza has took advantage for too long with the higher then average drink prices on a lot of the island compared with main land Europe or even Spain.
I hope it doesn't die but one bad season could end the lot(drama mode) or even maybe they'll compete and lower prices(dream mode)......Still a long way to go this season.

With so many festivals now offering the same line ups as Ibiza do and much cheaper all round holidays I don't think it's a surprise. I read the airport numbers are up again though already, maybe they're mostly all inclusive? Maybe Ibiza has took advantage for too long with the higher then average drink prices on a lot of the island compared with main land Europe or even Spain.
I hope it doesn't die but one bad season could end the lot(drama mode) or even maybe they'll compete and lower prices(dream mode)......Still a long way to go this season.

Well airport numbers might be up, but those people are not out on the streets. I think you're right with the all inclusive comment.
I love Ibiza, it's been my second home, like you say one bad season could end the lot, and this is the worst season I've ever seen.

Time for the bars and clubs to start rethinking their prices, the island has attracted an unwanted reputation for being expensive.

I think most people accept that seeing the top acts in the top clubs costs big money, but there are loads of 2nd/3rd rate clubnights and bars still trying to charge big prices and people are starting to vote with their feet.

i'm afraid the title of this thread simply doesn't say the truth.

and this is the worst season I've ever seen.

may I ask when you started doing seasons? because a few years back, there were indeed two or three pretty 'quiet' summers.

here are a few facts...

- the island as such has so far seen the BEST season ever in terms of arrivals
- like it or not, san an is suffering while pdb is thriving. hotel occupancy % in PDB are very good while san an is down
- there are two new trends which do make people get less seen in the streets. 1. - all inclusive hotels. it's not too many of them luckily, but of course this formula makes people lazy. 2. - more and more villa bookings every summer. these people also tend to hang around the pools of their villas forever, make nice BBQs etc and maybe do the odd club night or go out for dinner - but they're rarely seen in any of the tourist strongholds.
- the touristic offer (restaurants, beach clubs, clubs) gets bigger and bigger every year. this also means that the masses are being spread more. I think that, especially in the nightlife sector, this is the main reason. compared to 2011 or 2012, we now have about 20 clubnights more a week + lots of smaller things (sands, santos...).
- let's not forget the footie world cup factor. I do agree that the second half of the world cup month was definitely somewhat quieter than normally, but then again more nights have started earlier than ever (coxy, almost all of the nights at sankeys!) which then makes the people spread.
- generally (and I know there are a good few people who can confirm this), in the last years there has been a trend where the start of the season (say after the openings until start of july) is always suffering a bit, but on the other hand the late season is busier than ever. when I started coming to ibiza a decade ago, september was already really quiet apart of the closing parties as such. in the last two seasons, the late season has always been very busy and I expect absolutely the same for this year.
- lastly I do although agree prices have come to an absolute limit here on the island. at 13€ for a beer in the clubs, some people are just not willing to take it anymore - understandably. and while you can still get good value for good prices if you know where to look, it's true that restaurants, bars, clubs are mostly really expensive. I've had an interesting chat to a manager of a certain club on the island and I do think they're aware that the whole evolution of the prices might bite them in the a$$ at some point...

Wait, but there must be a certain level of truth to it... If there is more than one person stating it. Perhaps it is quieter than normal. And Craig 72...... You are stating an already quieter than normal perspective. You go un october.

I remember a lively pdb. I am not being argumentative. How quiet and "Dead" can pdb be. Take a vid and post it. I am still making my decision up.

The world cup must have had a huge influence the past few weeks, even if people are in Ibiza surely they would have been watching the football in the evenings then going out after?

Stivi's right about villas, this will be our 2nd one in PDB. I love having our own space when we're all suffering from the night before, without being hassled by PR/Sunglasses sellers etc.

The club drink prices have got to be addressed. Its madness, surely if they lowered the price people would buy more?

Would love to have a private chef! Our villa is at the budget end, about £450 each for the week between 12, we should save £££ on eating and drinking out every day

The west end bars that are dead are those cheap and horrible bars. Hush was rammed packed last week and the highlander scot bar at the top was rammed both quality places. I think the bars need a revamp and rebrand for next year and some better prices and it will transform the place as for gatecrasher I noticed a free entry deal and free bar which shows signs of struggle but can't comment as I never attended.

Cream was so busy last week I walked out at 2.30am total waste of money. Next year I won't even consider it. As for PDB I paid ten euro for a small vodka in a bar next to space which I found stupid and yes it was dead

The west end bars that are dead are those cheap and horrible bars. Hush was rammed packed last week and the highlander scot bar at the top was rammed both quality places. I think the bars need a revamp and rebrand for next year and some better prices and it will transform the place as for gatecrasher I noticed a free entry deal and free bar which shows signs of struggle but can't comment as I never attended.

Cream was so busy last week I walked out at 2.30am total waste of money. Next year I won't even consider it. As for PDB I paid ten euro for a small vodka in a bar next to space which I found stupid and yes it was dead
Hey there.

Can you let us know more about the free entry and free bar deals@Gatecrasher. Surely not on the same night. One or the other?

What exactly was wrong with Cream. Would you think it would be better with the V.I.P balcony in terms of space?

Sorry it was 25e free bar my mistake.

Yes I agree but try getting 15 Ibiza Virgins to pay the extra with you.. Still a great holiday wish I could go back tomorrow

Sorry it was 25e free bar my mistake.

Yes I agree but try getting 15 Ibiza Virgins to pay the extra with you.. Still a great holiday wish I could go back tomorrow

The €25 with free bar. What night was it for at Gatecrasher. Was that all night and what type of drinks...

The €25 with free bar. What night was it for at Gatecrasher. Was that all night and what type of drinks...
Bedlam. I didn't go mate but they seemed to be struggling for every night bar their own "crasher". I avoided the PR as I got hit by a crazy cyclist whilst very drink on my first night. Funny but outside of crasher is a dangerous cycle lane haha

I've heard horror stories about the "death" of the island for years. It's just the same with dance music, people always talking about the "death" of various genres, but it never comes to fruition.

Ibiza is hellishly expensive, but I've always viewed that as a good thing. Wouldn't we rather pay 15E a beer in a club and avoid the Magaluf/Malia type scene? I'm not a rich man, but I'd rather struggle and save and enjoy Ibiza as it is, if it means it stays as it is.

I really don't think the massive names, both in terms of promoters and DJs, are going to go away any time soon. No where beats Ibiza and they all know that.

If August isn't heaving, I'll take it all back, but I bet it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back