2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% a
I've heard horror stories about the "death" of the island for years. It's just the same with dance music, people always talking about the "death" of various genres, but it never comes to fruition.

Ibiza is hellishly expensive, but I've always viewed that as a good thing. Wouldn't we rather pay 15E a beer in a club and avoid the Magaluf/Malia type scene? I'm not a rich man, but I'd rather struggle and save and enjoy Ibiza as it is, if it means it stays as it is.

I really don't think the massive names, both in terms of promoters and DJs, are going to go away any time soon. No where beats Ibiza and they all know that.

If August isn't heaving, I'll take it all back, but I bet it will be.
I agree my point about the bars being quiet was those terrible ones over pricing things they step down a gear. The big clubs how ever need to have a freeze on prices. Another point is if you compare a 15e vodka from dc10 to a 18e one in amnesia the size difference is crazy

i'm afraid the title of this thread simply doesn't say the truth.

may I ask when you started doing seasons? because a few years back, there were indeed two or three pretty 'quiet' summers.

here are a few facts...

- the island as such has so far seen the BEST season ever in terms of arrivals
- like it or not, san an is suffering while pdb is thriving. hotel occupancy % in PDB are very good while san an is down
- there are two new trends which do make people get less seen in the streets. 1. - all inclusive hotels. it's not too many of them luckily, but of course this formula makes people lazy. 2. - more and more villa bookings every summer. these people also tend to hang around the pools of their villas forever, make nice BBQs etc and maybe do the odd club night or go out for dinner - but they're rarely seen in any of the tourist strongholds.
- the touristic offer (restaurants, beach clubs, clubs) gets bigger and bigger every year. this also means that the masses are being spread more. I think that, especially in the nightlife sector, this is the main reason. compared to 2011 or 2012, we now have about 20 clubnights more a week + lots of smaller things (sands, santos...).
- let's not forget the footie world cup factor. I do agree that the second half of the world cup month was definitely somewhat quieter than normally, but then again more nights have started earlier than ever (coxy, almost all of the nights at sankeys!) which then makes the people spread.
- generally (and I know there are a good few people who can confirm this), in the last years there has been a trend where the start of the season (say after the openings until start of july) is always suffering a bit, but on the other hand the late season is busier than ever. when I started coming to ibiza a decade ago, september was already really quiet apart of the closing parties as such. in the last two seasons, the late season has always been very busy and I expect absolutely the same for this year.
- lastly I do although agree prices have come to an absolute limit here on the island. at 13€ for a beer in the clubs, some people are just not willing to take it anymore - understandably. and while you can still get good value for good prices if you know where to look, it's true that restaurants, bars, clubs are mostly really expensive. I've had an interesting chat to a manager of a certain club on the island and I do think they're aware that the whole evolution of the prices might bite them in the a$$ at some point...

I know San An is suffering, living here I can tell, it's worryingly bad.
The all inclusive hotels are doing well, such as Ushuaia etc, and people are just drinking at their hotel/villa before heading to a club, which is not good for the likes of the staff working at the bars.
The bigger nights, such as Carl Cox, Cream etc are doing well, and probably always will, but the smaller clubs and bars are suffering, V Club closing meant that 12 people are now out of a job, and the bars, especially in San An are not hiring staff, because they're not making enough money to pay them, because there's very few people about.
Just two years ago, all the clubs in San An were busy, the place was booming 24/7, comparing that to now is devastating. There is mass panic now with the owners of these places. Like I said all the bars in the West End are down 10-30% already on last year, and that has come from bar managers and owners, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
With regards to club prices, the big clubs have always been expensive, but San An is very cheap, €3 for a pint etc.

Wait, but there must be a certain level of truth to it... If there is more than one person stating it. Perhaps it is quieter than normal. And Craig 72...... You are stating an already quieter than normal perspective. You go un october.

I remember a lively pdb. I am not being argumentative. How quiet and "Dead" can pdb be. Take a vid and post it. I am still making my decision up.

I've lived here since May 1st and it has been very quiet.

The west end bars that are dead are those cheap and horrible bars. Hush was rammed packed last week and the highlander scot bar at the top was rammed both quality places. I think the bars need a revamp and rebrand for next year and some better prices and it will transform the place as for gatecrasher I noticed a free entry deal and free bar which shows signs of struggle but can't comment as I never attended.

Cream was so busy last week I walked out at 2.30am total waste of money. Next year I won't even consider it. As for PDB I paid ten euro for a small vodka in a bar next to space which I found stupid and yes it was dead

I know many of the staff at Hush & Highlander and yes they are doing the best out of the West End, both bars are just about level on last year, but are not doing amazingly well.

Gatecrasher had an offer on €25 tickets with a free bar, I've also heard that the 'free' alcohol is very poor. GC won't last the season, I'll put money on that.

I know many of the staff at Hush & Highlander and yes they are doing the best out of the West End, both bars are just about level on last year, but are not doing amazingly well.

Gatecrasher had an offer on €25 tickets with a free bar, I've also heard that the 'free' alcohol is very poor. GC won't last the season, I'll put money on that.

Any information on the free bar would be welcome. You say the low quality what are we talking about?

Any information on the free bar would be welcome. You say the low quality what are we talking about?

well I have heard from a couple of people that it's really cheap stuff, and also heard on one occasion that people have been ill from it. I haven't experienced it first hand though

surely they mean just the Vista club!!??

interesting to note that Mallorca Rocks in Magalluf is ending after this year, while it may simply be that their lease is up and it costs too much to run...you do also wonder if all the resorts are struggling a bit this year.

we are 6 years in to the global economic slowdown, and while there are some signs of recovery for many countries, many still simply can't afford it and may have funded their Ibiza trips over the last few years on credit cards (on a 'it'll get better soon' mentality) but you can only do that for so long.

Supermartxe is a massive party for the non-British dominated market. Can well believe it maxed out on capacity.

I've been in Sankeys and seen less than 80 people at peak time at a night a couple of years back which wan't established and already popular. tINI and the gang at Sands in PDB was full with plenty of drink sales in evidence, and Diynamic Outdoor at Destino on Thursday was perfectly busy also despite being a reasonable distance from Ibiza Town and a huge headache to get parked !

Much really depends on the party more than the venue, in big clubs especially. The West End is an exception in Ibiza as it has a particular (largely British) market most of whom are staying in San An or surroundings. Mid-July is still before official school holiday time for all but private schools in UK and this makes a huge difference to how many people go out from the UK. Many of the 20 and 30-somethings who used to go to San An just prefer Bossa due to the number of beach clubs, 3 clubs on the doorstep and more readies to spend now they have a job !

A lot of repeat visitors also don't bother going to Sunset Strip more than once a trip, especially now it's basically a tourist attraction. So in fairness, it's not indicative of what's going on in Ibiza as a whole and I just think there are so many other places people can go now which cater to different tastes that many folk (especially non-British market) are just choosing to go elsewhere on the island to drink and party. It'll get busier when the kids get let off after their GCSEs :D

Deb
I know San An is suffering, living here I can tell, it's worryingly bad.
The all inclusive hotels are doing well, such as Ushuaia etc, and people are just drinking at their hotel/villa before heading to a club, which is not good for the likes of the staff working at the bars.
The bigger nights, such as Carl Cox, Cream etc are doing well, and probably always will, but the smaller clubs and bars are suffering, V Club closing meant that 12 people are now out of a job, and the bars, especially in San An are not hiring staff, because they're not making enough money to pay them, because there's very few people about.
Just two years ago, all the clubs in San An were busy, the place was booming 24/7, comparing that to now is devastating. There is mass panic now with the owners of these places. Like I said all the bars in the West End are down 10-30% already on last year, and that has come from bar managers and owners, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
With regards to club prices, the big clubs have always been expensive, but San An is very cheap, €3 for a pint etc.
debating staying in PDB next year what are bars etc like around that area?

debating staying in PDB next year what are bars etc like around that area?

pdb is full of bars. the difference to san an is there isn't the sunset strip with the great venues for a sunset drink. you either head to one of them on the main road (ibiza rocks, tantra, dunes, new garden - just to name a few really) or then check out one of the beachside bars. all of them are beach clubs but also all of them open in the evening for a drink by the sea. the list is really long, santos, delano, mumak, lips, sir rocco, no name, sands, nassau, coco beach....

I really like PDB as it isn't dropping to bits like most of San an. I won't miss the sunset strip I found it over rated anyway. Most of these bars will be more pricey tho yeah? Am guessing there is still those classic Brit holiday bars that are cheaper such as Irish pubs etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back