2014 The Quietest Season in the west end

Status
Not open for further replies.
one day last week Privilege only had 150 people in
Privilege sold out one night... 150 the other night... Interesting to see how the different concepts work out. A big disappointment for those who went there to experience such a big club...just to find that there is only 150-300 people in that large building.

Nightlife in the UK is rarely busy week after week these days & it tends to pay day weekend when it gets busiest.

Ibiza seems to have times of the season where it's quieter than normal but maybe as the season gets longer, the 'peak' changes slightly to what it was 5 to 10 years back when July & August was silly season. Still looking forward to coming in September, 11th year in a row!

Andy, a bar where you played a few times when you were back home was practically empty last night & it is one of the best that my home town has but then again South Shields is awful any time

Nightlife in the UK is rarely busy week after week these days & it tends to pay day weekend when it gets busiest.

Ibiza seems to have times of the season where it's quieter than normal but maybe as the season gets longer, the 'peak' changes slightly to what it was 5 to 10 years back when July & August was silly season. Still looking forward to coming in September, 11th year in a row!

Andy, a bar where you played a few times when you were back home was practically empty last night & it is one of the best that my home town has but then again South Shields is awful any time

I really liked that bar in South Shields too.

well I was told tonight that a bar in the bay has closed it's doors for good the other night. San An is in a bad way. I left the West End at 2.30am this morning (just under half an hour ago) and it is very quiet, too quiet.

but mondays have become alot more popular with the younger san an crowd with the popularity of ' deep house' etc more and more are going over to pdb then circo loco I'd imagine

. I left the West End at 2.30am this morning (just under half an hour ago) and it is very quiet, too quiet.

avicii opening was rammed, we love is very very busy tonight, as is pacha for s+1 and i head amnesia is also busy. tonight a LOT of people are out in the clubs, I can confirm this with my own eyes.

You wont find PRs offering crazy drink deals like 2 vodka redbulls, shots and a bottle of vodka for 10eur but there are places doing 241 cocktails, happy hours etc. I found there were less lairy, shitfaced people in PDB, most people were warming up to go to the clubs so bars were busy, people chatting and stuff. It is more expensive but it feels more laid back to me, which is what i need to get me back in the mood :cool:

I has always been expensive and if it is quiet then it maybe down to a number of issues. The Summer in the UK has not been to bad for the past 2 years, and Ollie makes an excellent point, there are some awesome festivals nowadays, just take a look at the line up for The Social held in Maidstones Mote Park led by Nic Fancuilli, book early and its £20.

I also feel there is alot more competition now with Croatia, Barca, Very Cheap Sunny beach and Cheap Maga's, Vegas is also very up and coming with alot more DJ's begining to concentrate on the US there are alot more places for them to play at and appreciate their skills.

Also some of the young twenties crowd are also a little fed up with the get mullered and shag attitude of the West End, they want a more cooler vibe with less hassle they also take alot more pride in the their appearance, maybe thats down to TOWIE, who knows. I also think its not socially accepted as much anymore. Alot of people are trying to move up out of the cheap hotel and more money for booze hols, this is why I think Ushuaia are spot on with their markting. I am not convinced everyone wants to get in at 0700 and miss half the day anymore either, hence the explosion of some daytime sets like Ocean Beach and Blue Marlin who are doing well.

Again alot of the UK clubs are able to book famous DJ's and groups now, and have you noticed how some of the Old School DJ's are now coming back ....Nancy Noise, Brandon Block, Alex P, Paul Oakenfield and Danny Rampling thy are holding some great nights at venues across the county and appeal to a slightly older but more affluent crowd.

I was also totally amazed on how many families were in Ibiza as well, really interesting that only 25% of people go there for the music, I know alot of locals rely on the business clubbers bring but they are also getting frustrated with the reputation of the Isle and that of San Ant. Families will always bring in mor money than us.

The Radio 1 weekend is one fo the busiest times on the Island, I really dont think the line up is great this year but it will be interesting to see just how many people attend.

Do I think Ibiza is on its way out...no I dont, people will always go, but I do think that change is on the horizon and it must adapt to that.

Of course this is just my view, happy to debate :)

Interesting thread this one. Particularly interesting for someone like me that hasn't been for a few years and trying to gauge what the crowds will be like this September.

It looks as though general numbers are up but that the demographic and the way people are doing their trip is shifting quite quickly. And it looks to me that this has hit the West End in San An the hardest. I think its likely that there are some big changes afoot for San An in response.

I remember threads on this forum going way back where the divide between the 'real' clubbers and the San An booze crowd was debated at length. And it seems like (and this is complete conjecture) that the latter group are starting to be replaced by the VIP table crowd. The kind of people who only came to Ibiza for a cheap boozey week (or stag weekend) on the West End are starting to realise they can do exactly the same for even cheaper elsewhere. When you compare flights and accommodation to other places - it ain't that cheap. Whereas, for this new VIP tabler demographic (who are probably only marginally more interested in the music), money is no object and they're after a much more 'exclusive', 'upmarket' experience - or one that is perceived as such. For these people its all about image. And this probably explains why somewhere like Ocean Beach has thrived while the West End is a ghost town.

And I'm sure a lot of people like me are doing the villa thing now as well. I used to be one of those San An package holiday people. Now I'm completely converted to the villa thing. And it does completely change the way you do your holiday. We will spend some time on the West End in September, but it won't be huge amount, I wouldn't think.

As others have said, the peak of the season has clearly shifted now as well. Its August-September now rather than July-August.

I think the influence of a lot of things is pushing youth towards more upmarket events, venues, holidays etc. 5 years ago the only photos you used to see on FB were of people hammered covered in sick on a Saturday night. Now most people's FB/Twitter/Instagram looks like a bloody John Lewis advert!

I completely agree that programs like TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Hollyoaks etc are influencing people in to thinking the only way to have a good time is to look and live like a celebrity. Even i'm guilty of this, I wasted £40 on a VIP ticket to Parklife festival on the promise of decent loos, good food and no queues. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?! its a bloody festival the point is to get muddy and have a good time, regardless of wealth!

But in the end, its a free market.

If more people want fancy high end stuff A La Destino then that's cool. No one is forcing you to go to them.

As long as there are people that want to get weird there will always be a DC-10/Underground etc

Sunny Beach & Magaluf - delivering what the West End used to without the high prices for everything if they step outside a 3-block radius. The island isn't trying to promote what the West End has to offer - quite the opposite - and that market is pretty fickle ... if it's cheaper and wilder they'll go there instead. Music ain't really on the priority list for the 10 shots for a fiver crowd and San An clubs all but died in a relative sense a long time ago so pre-club drinking there is inevitably down as a result.

On the plus side, you can still get a room for a reasonable price away from the strip, it doesn't feel like a tourist ghetto, the Marina's on your doorstep and it's a much better place to be located to tour the island from than PDB. So I for one will be happy to keep going to San An even if it gets quieter. But like most in my age group, I probably won't be in the West End much either.

I think the influence of a lot of things is pushing youth towards more upmarket events, venues, holidays etc. 5 years ago the only photos you used to see on FB were of people hammered covered in sick on a Saturday night. Now most people's FB/Twitter/Instagram looks like a bloody John Lewis advert!

I completely agree that programs like TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Hollyoaks etc are influencing people in to thinking the only way to have a good time is to look and live like a celebrity. Even i'm guilty of this, I wasted £40 on a VIP ticket to Parklife festival on the promise of decent loos, good food and no queues. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?! its a bloody festival the point is to get muddy and have a good time, regardless of wealth!

Absolutely spot on. And this is the key reason why the West End suffers while Ibiza at large continues to do pretty well. A quiet season for the West End maybe, not for Ibiza.

I think there's still just as many as ever who aren't into 'looking and living like a celebrity'. But they've just got a bigger choice of haunts to congregate in which are bang up for booze crawls.

The budget-limited wannabe poser market is tailor-made for Ibiza (read PDB), as it's still a blooming site cheaper there than St. Tropez, so they can still just about afford it. Plus the coke and pills usually seal the deal for this lot !

On the plus side, you can still get a room for a reasonable price away from the strip, it doesn't feel like a tourist ghetto, the Marina's on your doorstep and it's a much better place to be located to tour the island from than PDB. So I for one will be happy to keep going to San An even if it gets quieter. But like most in my age group, I probably won't be in the West End much either.
:cool:

that thread must be a windup anyway or just utter nonsense.
"quietest season", "westend a ghosttown" ... ridiculous, even in may and june there were myriads of people.
only heard that play2 closed 3 days one week in the very early season ..
just because some place called "v-club" closed ?? who cares ? i bet 99,99% of all tourists and 99,8% of spotlighters have never heard of this place before !

Mid nineties, I remember going to the West End after a night at Manumission and Carry On at Space every Tuesday. Used to be full of people who had been out the night before and a right laugh. Then Ibiza Uncovered happened and it all went down hill, followed by weekend flights that brought the stag and hen do crowd.

Won't be a loss if these people frequent cheaper resorts elsewhere and the west End gets it's spark back.

I'm 20 I've been the island 4 times and visited the west end once, went play2 and a few other bars. But if wanted that I would go too resorts like maga and malia, but I wanna listen to good music, visit the clubbing meccas and be around good people. So the concept of the westend doesn't match why people come to the island really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back