10 ways Ibiza will change in 2019

This makes me wonder how other 'holiday' islands survive without the big clubs...

Other resorts have other attractions that Ibiza doesn't have, like the Algarve is covered in Golf Courses. Greece has ruins etc,

Every resort has a unique selling point, which clubbing and the hippy vibe are for Ibiza, but I agree with others that clubbing isnt the full story and the sole source of the islands tourism income.

it is but you do not seem to understand that even though what you say above isn‘t wrong per se, it‘s still only about 20% of arriving tourists that actually care about that.
You are completely correct (I’m coming next week because I like the chilled way of things and the lovely scenery). However, I would say that the clubs are awesome and to have so many options is great - I can’t think of anywhere globally that has this. We should embrace that. Yes, difficult year but it’ll come back. I kinda sense people on the forum know that Ibiza is more than pills and clubs but maybe were all getting a bit old?

You are completely correct (I’m coming next week because I like the chilled way of things and the lovely scenery). However, I would say that the clubs are awesome and to have so many options is great - I can’t think of anywhere globally that has this. We should embrace that. Yes, difficult year but it’ll come back. I kinda sense people on the forum know that Ibiza is more than pills and clubs but maybe were all getting a bit old?

of course it's awesome that ibiza has so many clubs. and I have been saying for years that nowhere else in the world you get such a density of club events during 5 months a year - there really is nowhere else that has the same amount of club nights on offer.

but still, rye seems to think that clubbing is the only thing that makes the island tick and that is just plain wrong. of course it brings a lot of money and draws tourists to the island, but I feel it just isn't the way he paints the picture.

I'm a clubber and, as well as the things you'd expect clubbers to spend money on, I generally eat out twice a day and drink in various bars (not just in the room). Plus I spend on the room, mainly for location. Not all clubbers are cheap and nasty.

am putting this out there because we have no real way of knowing how much 'dirty' money circulates back into the 'real' economy but if you say spend a load of money on the black economy eg that could be drogas but also say illegal taxis, dodgy lets and tat off the street - are you benefiting the local economy indirectly (in any way?) or is that money essentially all going to mafias? and if money is laundered - how many legit businesses in IBZ are actually bankrolled by the economia sumergida ? am curious - has much research been carried out into this?!

of course it's awesome that ibiza has so many clubs. and I have been saying for years that nowhere else in the world you get such a density of club events during 5 months a year - there really is nowhere else that has the same amount of club nights on offer.

but still, rye seems to think that clubbing is the only thing that makes the island tick and that is just plain wrong. of course it brings a lot of money and draws tourists to the island, but I feel it just isn't the way he paints the picture.

Wait no I don't seem to think that clubbing IS THE ONLY THING

I used the word 'Biased'

am putting this out there because we have no real way of knowing how much 'dirty' money circulates back into the 'real' economy but if you say spend a load of money on the black economy eg that could be drogas but also say illegal taxis, dodgy lets and tat off the street - are you benefiting the local economy indirectly (in any way?) or is that money essentially all going to mafias? and if money is laundered - how many legit businesses in IBZ are actually bankrolled by the economia sumergida ? am curious - has much research been carried out into this?!

Interesting comment.

I don't think there is much difference as the money circulates the same. Prostitutes, Lookies and Pillbouys gotta eat sleep and shit the same as the waiter from Elements or the cashier at Lidl. The big difference is that one set of cash flow is taxed and funds government services, while the the other is laundered and is a drain on government.

As for who, individually, contributes more it is probably a toss up and depends on circumstance. As a single I probably spent e150 a day total on booze food and clubs, but was on island for about a week or less, as a couple we spent e200 per day total but spent 10-14 days and now as a family of four we spent e150 a day total (self-cater), but stayed for a month and most was food and activities.

I think there is a symbiotic relationship between the two sides of the island that makes it so addictive.

obviously you've probably got a % going back to the state in I.V.A (though theoretically you could get anything illegally) but there are vast amounts of cash floating around that the state doesn't even know about. You could argue that a family staying at an AI is actually putting more into the local economy than a group of clubbers on a bunk bed on a balcony at an unregulated let because that AI is at least all taxed/regulated!

Other resorts have other attractions that Ibiza doesn't have, like the Algarve is covered in Golf Courses. Greece has ruins etc,

Algarve is definitely Golf central but Ibiza does still have 9 holes at Roca Lisa if you're really desperate for a quick round. Dalt Vila, The Phoenician remains of Sa Caleta and the Phoenician-Punic necropolis of Puig des Molins are UNESCO World Heritage site. There's other interesting historic sites about too if you go walking and have an interest.

Obviously those examples you give sell themselves to markets who are primarily interested in going on holiday for one specific activity or interest (in the case of Greece far less so in many tourist resort areas). If you want to play golf every day then chances are you're boarding a plane for Faro.

Thing about Ibiza is it has a bit of pretty much everything readily on offer on one island. So unless you especially want to go paragliding off a mountain or do a skydive, a group or family with diverse interests can likely all find things they want to do on offer. Alongside the tat, there's also a lot of hand-made jewellery, bespoke products and boutique clothes etc. along with many premium brands available to shoppers (to some extent). For those who like to shop, and there are many, there's a lot more boutiques to potter round than in many places.

Out of curiosity, how much did you spend on your last trip?

Between my wife and I, we usually average $10-15k

and ‚biased‘ is still wrong then you consider 3 out of 4 ppl arriving on the island don‘t enter any club

The question I have is, did they used to? I think the nightlife aspect introduced a lot of people to the island even though they no longer hit the clubs. But maybe those 3 out of 4 people never cared about the nightlife and really only came for the beaches.

Last edited:
For the one dealer that eats what about the 100 he sold too,they don't eat for 2 days then decide to get KFC and be stuck on the lav for rest of holidays.. vicious circle..

Bit of a cliché that people who do stims don't eat. I'm on the md most nights, and have the occasional line, but I also eat well everyday.

Back