What's the weather like at the moment?

article

That's funny, I came onto this thread to post the exact same article. Although the article is not funny at all. Meanwhile seems like the UK is having one of their wettest winters. We usually have some days of absolute monsoon like rain and it's simply not happening😢

That's funny, I came onto this thread to post the exact same article. Although the article is not funny at all. Meanwhile seems like the UK is having one of their wettest winters. We usually have some days of absolute monsoon like rain and it's simply not happening😢

yeah northern europe in general has had a very wet winter. south of the alps...very dry. not looking good.

I live between Belgium and Ibiza and I am 40 years old, Belgium is very small but located in the center of Europe surrounded by large countries...less than 200 km from England, 150km from the north of France, and less than 100 km from Cologne or Düsseldorf for Germany and the same for Holland, many of the forum come from these regions we can say that the climate has completely changed, either it rains non-stop for 3 months or it no longer rains at all, 3 years ago, until '3 meters of water in the streets in June and thousands of people evacuated, the year after no rain for 2 months! in January it was minus 15 degrees and this afternoon it was 22 degrees (I called friends) here in Ibiza, it hasn't rained since September I think (ok 2.3 x a little) I didn't haven't experienced enough winter in Ibiza to compare (Barcelona yes and it's never been like that) but it's almost every day full sun and hot early afternoon it's crazy, either March and April are rainy or welcome to the new Africa

I live between Belgium and Ibiza and I am 40 years old, Belgium is very small but located in the center of Europe surrounded by large countries...less than 200 km from England, 150km from the north of France, and less than 100 km from Cologne or Düsseldorf for Germany and the same for Holland, many of the forum come from these regions we can say that the climate has completely changed, either it rains non-stop for 3 months or it no longer rains at all, 3 years ago, until '3 meters of water in the streets in June and thousands of people evacuated, the year after no rain for 2 months! in January it was minus 15 degrees and this afternoon it was 22 degrees (I called friends) here in Ibiza, it hasn't rained since September I think (ok 2.3 x a little) I didn't haven't experienced enough winter in Ibiza to compare (Barcelona yes and it's never been like that) but it's almost every day full sun and hot early afternoon it's crazy, either March and April are rainy or welcome to the new Africa
It has changed. But no one can say if this are general changes , or natural cycles , which are normal. The scientists say its man made. Think they are right ( my opinion ).

Here, near the Alps, the change is so strong since a few years.
Winters are disappeared.
Yesterday afternoon in my home town, 17°.
This morning at 6am it was still 12°.
And it's like this since weeks, at least 10° more than normally.

Last Saturday it rained for a few hours well and good, but it would have to be a few days like that for nature to start to come back to life, I was with a local last week who has lived near Benirras for over 50 years, he has a house with a lot of fruit trees around (orange, lemon, olive, etc.), he showed me their conditions, not pretty, he had never experienced that in over 50 years! when you walk around the campo everything is dry and where are in winter !
Voilà 😕

Last Saturday it rained for a few hours well and good, but it would have to be a few days like that for nature to start to come back to life, I was with a local last week who has lived near Benirras for over 50 years, he has a house with a lot of fruit trees around (orange, lemon, olive, etc.), he showed me their conditions, not pretty, he had never experienced that in over 50 years! when you walk around the campo everything is dry and where are in winter !
Voilà 😕
Yes... It's the second driest winter since 70 years in ibiza...
www.periodicodeibiza.es/pitiusas/ibiza/2024/03/12/2123593/ibiza-formentera-islas-viven-segundo-invierno-mas-seco-anos.html

I wonder what a dry winter means in terms of summer, any ideas historically?
The Mediterranean High descends over Ibiza in summer, that's almost always happened and while you get the odd thunderstorm in July/August, I can't recall a "wet" summer despite what happens over the winter.

Naturally the water shortage will be serious, if this goes on for years I can see the day coming when all pools will have to be salt/sea water and even metered connection to your hotel water supply. Don't laugh, in b+b's in the 60's/70's that's how you paid for your heating and electricity in most b/b's in the UK! Passed one b/b in St Annes last week and it actually had a sign in the window "no metering"!!

Mind you, if there's no water in the first place then metering's no use!! But it would probably reduce demand on scarce supplies.

But I doubt they would ever really consider metering, getting it all installed would be a pain. Much more likely to increase the tourist tax to pay for imported water. The UK has a lot of it (despite the moans from the south-east) so we're open to offers!!

Back