Mosaic by Maceo Plex at PACHA 2016

Solomun transitions late into some tracks sometimes but his set at BPM this year was very smoothly mixed with longer transitions for the most part. I agree about his track selection which is great and especially perhaps his programming of a set which I think is better and arguably the most important thing

I I'm personally fine with seeing maybe an open to close set sometimes! Has that ever been done by him?

Good point. Anyone know if Maceo does any super long 6+ hour sets? At an Ellum night at Electric Brixton last year he did a 4+ hour set.

I think it's a bit ballsy on his part going up against Carl Cox lol. I think Thursday would have been better to fill that Enter void (so far) but I don't know who else can except maybe a combo of some DJs? I do agree some nights might struggle. I think this can also cause some Cox nights to suffer maybe depending on lineup? I'm personally fine with seeing maybe an open to close set sometimes! Has that ever been done by him?

maceo never had the choice to do thursdays as FMIF is firmly put on that night you see. of course tuesday's not an easy night (at least this summer), but 10x better than trying to do it on a monday and going up against circoloco and cocoon.

plex getting cox to suffer? forget it. especially not this year. look guys, it's very easy, coxy will end his residency on a climax - I'm 100% convinced it's going to be his busiest season ever with the most sold out dates in his night's history. period. no matter who plays alongside maceo. that said, who will play alongside plex will be very important for mosaic of course. while he's one of the big names of the moment, I also think he needs a good artist roster to play alongside him. that's actually going to be the most interesting part for me, to see their line ups.

Conjure Dreams and Conjure Floyd, 2 of Maceo's best tracks in my opinion but still doesnt really link the two together. Personally, I dont think Maceo Plex warrants his own night period, but I've said before here and elsewhere I think his dj capabilities are both limited and not impressive. So i guess being biased or to simply state, Im not a fan. I think its a good move for Pacha

He's actually really versatile when he wants to be and isn't trotting out pretty much the same mix every week as a peak time set to please the crowds. Agree he has his "moments" on the decks, but nowhere near to the extent of Solumun, who can be a car crash with a mixer when he loses it. Just really loved this and still play it regularly :

https://soundcloud.com/maceoplex/maceo-plex-essential-mix-november-2015

Odd parents, shall ocin...o_O I definitely have to get out more..:oops:

Seriously ? Loved what they did in Tox before MP came on and recommended Odd Parents for SX Music Festival lineup. Put 'em together and it's great. Probably the only track on Capriati's Fabric CD I fell in love with. However hopefully won't just be an Ellum showcase and he'll use Pacha creatively to bring some really interesting music in. I'd actually love to hear this in Pacha at 6am !

All the more reason then to go to Pacha imho.

Too Rammed = sh1t night

yeah gotcha. and that might actually help maceo. but still, the vast majority will wanna go see the big man at space one more time.

maceo never had the choice to do thursdays as FMIF is firmly put on that night you see. of course tuesday's not an easy night (at least this summer), but 10x better than trying to do it on a monday and going up against circoloco and cocoon.

plex getting cox to suffer? forget it. especially not this year. look guys, it's very easy, coxy will end his residency on a climax - I'm 100% convinced it's going to be his busiest season ever with the most sold out dates in his night's history. period. no matter who plays alongside maceo. that said, who will play alongside plex will be very important for mosaic of course. while he's one of the big names of the moment, I also think he needs a good artist roster to play alongside him. that's actually going to be the most interesting part for me, to see their line ups.

totally agree. And, given the contractual obligations/tie in's that lots of artists have to a certain club/night, the line ups are going to be interesting. I think he has already set the tone for managing expectations on that one, when he stated that the line ups would be around acts not neecessarily seen too much in Ibiza. That, to me, means that the majority of people may be somewhat underwhelmed when the line ups are released.

Totally agree with the comments about if Plex is big enough to make a sucess of his own night but also agree that 2017 is when it should be judged as in 2016 no one is going to have an effect on Space's numbers on a Tuesday

I might do both, cos I'm a greedy bitch!! :oops:

Thats the way to go!

Get a early bird 20 euro b4 11pm to Space then off to Pacha mid morning. Not worth waiting for Cox unless if you like moving your body arms or legs to dance, he's bound to have some quality guests on beforehand? Hey, he might even do a sunset terrace set early doors?

Get a early bird 20 euro b4 11pm to Space then off to Pacha mid morning. Not worth waiting for Cox unless if you like moving your body arms or legs to dance, he's bound to have some quality guests on beforehand? Hey, he might even do a sunset terrace set early doors?

I used to love doing that with "We Love & Solomun". Bit of early Space action, and then over to Pacha for 3AM. However, I suppose the issue with Tuesday's now is I am guessing that Cox & Maceo will both be c.4AM to Close so this may be more complicated...

I used to love doing that with "We Love & Solomun". Bit of early Space action, and then over to Pacha for 3AM. However, I suppose the issue with Tuesday's now is I am guessing that Cox & Maceo will both be c.4AM to Close so this may be more complicated...
Two Tuesdays!

Just my two cents on Solomun v Maceo, I saw Solomun last year at Pacha and had a blast, as others have said he really knows how to build a set and keep the crowd moving, whereas Maceo is more your standard DJ who has particularly good track selection built around a certain genre.

If you compare these two sets by them both...

Solomun:

Maceo:

Both are inarguably talented DJ's, and you can certainly tell they are good at their craft, but Solomun switching up the genres just makes his sets a little more interesting, and he always seems to throw a curveball in the mix which works really well and doesn't sound out of place. (e.g he started his Tomorrowland 2015 set with an acapella from MJ's Thriller over a banging house beat).

Yes it seems like Solomun plans out his set a lot less and goes with the flow, mixing up genres. Nothing wrong with planning a set either, but you can tell when someone is being more dynamic and responsive to the crowd. I think that's why he mixes out late at times, cuz maybe he pulled the right track late but this all my opinion...

Maceo is still the better producer by far as of late though

Yes it seems like Solomun plans out his set a lot less and goes with the flow, mixing up genres. Nothing wrong with planning a set either, but you can tell when someone is being more dynamic and responsive to the crowd. I think that's why he mixes out late at times, cuz maybe he pulled the right track late but this all my opinion...

Maceo is still the better producer by far as of late though

Agree with some of this. But in the same way Solomun has evolved and changed (in part) thanks to a 20 week Pacha residency, I can imagine we will see Maceo change over the next few years. After 60+ sets at Pacha over the last 3 years, Solomun in 2015 was quite different than Solomun in 2013. And IMO he has NOT become boring (but I only saw him 4 times at Pacha last season). We can probably expect the Maceo to change over the next few years too.

Just remember what Luciano was like after 3 years at Pacha. At the end of 2012 after 3 seasons (Plus Ushuaia) he had become boring and pretty stale. In that year when I was out there for a while I probably did all of his September Pacha and Ushuaia dates, and his track selection was getting so limited I was bored by the end of it. Totally bored. With Solomun I always want MORE...

Back