Mosaic by Maceo Plex at PACHA 2016

mr_why

So the rumours are true, and Pacha have landed the big one: MACEO PLEX for Tuesdays! I am EXCITED beyond words! Discuss....

ra-news-maceomosaic-16.jpeg

Maceo Plex will launch his own residency at Pacha Ibiza in May.

Though Plex, real name Eric Estornel, has played regularly for Circoloco, ENTER. and HYTE in recent years, Mosaic will be his first artist-led residency on the island. Pacha has given him the Tuesday slot, in lieu of the long-running Flower Power party. Estornel, who has never played Pacha, will head up 19 weeks in a row, running from May 24th through October 4th. No other artists have been announced yet, though the press release confirms that the residency will "play host to a wide variety of quality label brands in the form of 'takeovers" and 'showcases.'"

Speaking to Estornel over email earlier this week, we asked him to shed some light on the season ahead.

Tell us about the concept behind Mosaic.

Mosaic represents art derived from small fragments of colored material. I originally loved the name championed originally by a favorite artist of mine named Steve O'Sullivan and his Mosaic record label. I thought it fit perfectly to name a party brand that aims to bring together many "musical colours." For years the trend on the island has been to book the same DJs over and over again, and while Mosaic will still feature some of these artists, many will not be from the list of typical Ibiza guests. I'm hoping that with Mosaic we will have a place where we can finally get loose, at least to an extent that feels cozy. There is still room for the island to be the Mecca for tech house beats as well as a place to hear other good dance music.

Pacha is new territory for you in Ibiza. What attracted you to the club?

I've never actually played at Pacha, but I've been there many times and paid very close attention to its tightly compressed and tense feeling when full. It's not like the huge Amnesia Terrace that I'm used to with its muscular tech house groove. Or the sweaty overpacked DC-10 vibe and its hordes of "cool" people resting in the back of the club. Pacha has tables just like any other club, it's inevitable, but I've seen the whole place going off uniformly to some interesting music here and there. It can be done in that space, you just need to go when the right person is playing for the right crowd. The sound is incredible. It's actually a damn good club. They've offered me a night there three years in a row, and I think I've seen enough people on the island groove to something else other than loopy fitness tech house to know that there's room for something else.

Broadly speaking, what will the music policy be?

The Mosaic policy will be simple: good music, interesting decor, lighting that fits the music (dark and warm) and an interesting array of label showcases and takeovers that extend beyond Ibiza's current repertoire of sound. I don't expect it to reach Trouw quality anytime soon, but we will die trying.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=33287

Definitely interested in this one...can't wait to see how this will work in Pacha!

I am guessing they will take a lot of "learnings" from when Guy Gerber tried with "WOTG" a few years ago. I think even the name "Mosaic" isn't crazy, like the whole glove thing was! I think Maceo is one of those artists like Solomun & Luciano that can fill the dance floor and the tables as his sound is just so warm and accessible. Also, I think the Tuesday night slot will give him chance to really grow this over a few years. Together at Amnesia is totally aimed at a different demographic, COXY is in its last year and full of British, and Maceo will get a more international crowd.

He's really candid about things in his interview! This is really big news for sure, confirmed so early too! I'm interested to see how this will work as well, luckily I have two Tuesdays on the island booked in July so I can see first hand.

I'm expecting guys like Odd Parents and Shall Ocin to join him but I'm honestly unsure of their popularity. He might "need" some more established names as well. Let's see if he can create the magic Solomon does on Sundays. Would be verrry interesting if these guys supported each other on their own nights too by playing together

Bugger, why did he have to go up against Cox for my last night on the island this year....

You'll have to come next year too then!

I'm expecting guys like Odd Parents and Shall Ocin to join him but I'm honestly unsure of their popularity. He might "need" some more established names as wellr

They can have take-overs and label nights, but the main draw will be Maceo! Period. I keep mentioning the Guy Gerber Pacha night in 2013 as a contrast to this - as much as many of us loved Gerber, he was never going to be a a draw like the likes of Solumun and Maceo Plex etc...

I think Pacha is way better for Plex and what he apparently would like to do in his sets than the amnesia terrace (see the closing party controversy).

One reason less to continue HYTE, though. Are they really going through with a second season? I'd recommend moving to space on thursdays at least, would be better for all concerned.

Funny to see him go by Maceo now....what happened to the Plex?
Come on Mr Why the e-flyer does look a little sex panther-ish you must agree

This sounds good but I've only got one Tuesday in Ibiza this year & there's no way I'm missing the big man at Space for anyone!

QUOTE="neilly303, post: 851100, member: 9174"]The new fragrance for men is out now...

ra-news-maceomosaic-16.jpeg

What a pretentious bellend :lol:[/QUOTE]
He's found the perfect home then..

He spends half the interview apologizing for Pacha, lol. Might be worth checking out even though I'm not a fan of Pacha. Can't see myself passing up Cox tho.

fitnes tech house :lol:

Back