Have Ibiza's Glory Days as a Dance Music Mecca Come to an End?

I'm basically interested in what 7/8 people (mostly the older crowd) have to say. most of the others are wallpaper. Occasionally decent music is discussed however fair to say a lot of people on here don't really have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to DJs. The site is generally a very good research tool although a lot of nuggets of information are hidden away on threads which are lost in the ether. Search results don't always come up in chronological order either. Have to agree that some of the debates are pretty entertaining. Pointless personal attacks on people you'll never meet (or - even better - WILL one day meet) make for great sport. Sadly, I think it is virtually impossible to troll this forum anymore though - everyone's too wise, too clued up. I have no idea why I come on half the time. Habit is a stubborn b'stard. Therein endeth my idle thoughts.

Like my arch enemy... you are very knowledgable, and we don't always agree. But this I very much agree with. I don't care much for the voyeurs who come on the thread with their one liners either but this site is generally good,

As for Ibiza not being the same since SHM...that says it all for me ! :spank:

I think the 'big ego' trait in a lot of people who visit Ibiza is represented all too well in this thread and others.
There seems to be an air of superiority from some members, the same members complain ibiza isn't what it was, while shouting down or arguing unnecessarily and showing a big lack of tolerance.
Irony at its finest :lol: :p

Brilliant.

A thread discussing Ibiza's demise (or shift at least) contains at least two people who equate people having a friendly, inclusive time of their life with Roidheads.

Perfectly illustrated.

Has Ibiza spotlight forum's position as a Mecca for those who want to discuss using steroids before travelling to Ibiza to visit clubs whilst taking drugs and acting alpha male inside said clubs come to an end?

I don't think so

Joanie is no longer active?
I serve no purpose on this planet any longer

On topic - Ibiza glory days come to an end? Surely the police raids are not a good sign? All the tax dodging and drug busting going on recently? Did that ever happen before? It ruined my night for Together back in July. One minute it was closed, then it was open, then it was closed and then at midnight it was open again. The night ended up a mess because a couple of DJ's only turned up. The bar staff were setting up the bar for about half hour no one could get fluids and only one room open which was half full! We left at 4am

nothing to do with egos - everything to do with SAVING the one thing we all have in common

I raised the alarm bells on here YEARS ago. Before that it was just a cosy clique fest on here or whoever was in with hed kandi or the right villa parties or whatever (admittedly i didn't tune in pre-07)

to begin with, I was largely laughed at. I think at the time Barbie agreed with me also Jimmiz, Nil Satsis, Robder + maybe a few others.

Nearly everyone else showered me with bile HOW DARE YOU COME ON HERE? INFIDEL. "I've muted the tosser". GO AWAY PLAY WITH YOUR BEARD etc - or more passive-aggressive comments, sarcastic winks, irrelevant links to the daily mash etc

but I think those of us who were openly critical then have been proved right over time - the musical, political, environmental trajectory of the island is all gradually going to shit (which is precisely WHY people are buggering off to eastern europe)

Like I repeatedly stress, and emphasised in the Sept review, the show ain't over yet - but it's the complacency of people coming on here and saying "what's the problem?" that makes my teeth itch and my piss boil.

I think the 'big ego' trait in a lot of people who visit Ibiza is represented all too well in this thread and others.
There seems to be an air of superiority from some members, the same members complain ibiza isn't what it was, while shouting down or arguing unnecessarily and showing a big lack of tolerance.
Irony at its finest :lol: :p

Kid said,
"This made me laugh, what do you think the " Massive Roiders " are going to do ? Suddenly grab your daughters and deflower them on the sunbeds whilst drinking Champoo "

How much tolerance should be shown to comments like this,which were directed to a female forum member?

That comment got 3 likes... 'lads!'

Is the fact that ibiza caters to all musical tastes, whether your into trance, techno, house, edm etc you can find a night/party that suits you, is the things that makes ibiza special? Why cant we all just get along?

To get back on point, Ibiza stopped being a Mecca for dance music when the founders of house music itself (Steve Angello, Sebastian Ingrosso, Axwell) split up and stopped doing nights together in Ibiza. It has never been the same since as far as I'm concerned.
Did you just refer to the mafia as founders of house music itself?

I am interested to hear your stories of Croatia compared to Ibiza, and I have seen a flyer for Muzeek Digital for a rave at top hill Montenegro, so your wisdom on that will be appreciated as well

Sorry for delayed reply. Never been raving in Croatia so can't really comment. Top hill Montenegro I've been to twice and the venue/lights/pros/sound system etc is better than Ushuaia. 10 euros to get in on the big name DJ nights, 1ltr Smirnoff with bucket of ice and mixers was about 80 euro if I remember right. Beers around 4 euro. I saw norman doray there and really, really enjoyed it.

The daytime is the main difference. We went to the nicest beach bars obviously aimed at tourists or those with money to spend and relaxed to some good music (paying relatively low prices for nice food and drink, ESP compared to ibiza). If but outside of those places, the music in 'local' bars is what I would call turbo folk-house fusion, which may appeal to the locals, but not to me. Contrast to Ibiza where house/techno fans can hear pretty good music wherever you go. even the pdb lidl is usually playing some decent tunes in the aisles, right (unless they lost their licence when Bora Bora did?)

I would however definitely recommend you go. The beaches and scenery are stunning, and it's clearly better value than ibiza.

These places may be different vibe-wise when the festivals are on. Mates went to suncebeat, exit and hideout, and loved them.

Back