Have Ibiza's Glory Days as a Dance Music Mecca Come to an End?

I agree to a degree with your view point, but for me I felt part of something special and my experience of the night from getting in around 11pm till it closed was way different to the videos I've seen.
The terraza atmosphere was so loved up, when big tunes dropped we all hugged and high 5'd etc. Lots of angry elbows in between granted but after about 5am it became breathable.
I moved to the sunset terrace about 9am the sun was red hot on my face, smiles everywhere, got with a random group of people and we stayed together sharing drugs and drinks like how it was when I started to go to Ibiza :cool:
I have seen plenty of footloose and fancy free videos of space in it's hey day but society 'globally' has changed, can't moan it didn't look as good as you'd like it to be :rolleyes:
Trust me the vibe was great, like a throw back. Happy faces and the feeling of being a part of history was quality and everyone I mingled with was going for it :lol:
I wish I could do it again, I'm still having after event flashbacks and it's been nearly a month!
I cant even bare to relive the moments or watch any of the videos...makes me sad :(take me back...wish i could do it all over again

I wasnt at space closing but done cox closing and place was goin off....ppl dancing hugging etc. Ibiza like anywhere is wot u make it

MY local is a bit like that on a friday night, all my mates have been paid.. i mean,my local is like anywhere,it is what you make it.

one of the biggest shifts which made its way to ibiza is the video recording of sets or whole nights. that simply didnt happen 3-4 years ago and before. And these videos show clubs full of people dancing but also people taking videoes on their phones which i know has been discussed to death. Interesting topic though. Should there be access like this? Is a crowd of camera phones a problem? Does it matter if someone takes 30 seconds to record a memento?
Maybe save that one for another day!

2 or 3 30 second momentos over a 6 hour night night no that shouldn't be a problem and I would do that myself.
Some of the videos of crowds on Facebook do look terrible with a sea of phones recording, but I can honestly say Iv never noticed this bad whilst iv been clubbing in ibiza at all really.
I think it depends on the night sand type if crowd . The 'sea of phones videos' i see are usually at 'edm' or more mainstream nights I feel.

Either way I don't think it's the main problem with ibiza, the main problem is the huge clampdown on day parties opening times etc.

Does anybody actually go back through their own videos? They are generally shit. It annoys me but i can understand someone doing it, i used to take a few here and there. I don't see anything wrong with grabbing a couple of quick snaps, a wee memento. But snapchats, loads of HEYYY WE IN THE CLUB selfies, and f***ing selfie sticks being swung around on the dancefloor (one nearly cracked me in the napper at afterlife) are a big NO. Problem is folk going to edm nights where it is more of the norm then dipping their toes in the more underground nights come along thinking thats what its all about. Its not the main issue but its become worse over the years.

Also i think as well, Ibiza was always lauded as a dance music mecca as it has always exposed so many people from different corners of the world to what is happening musically at that time* - it originally influenced the scene (at least in the uk) and was in turn influenced by music feeding back from the uk, germany, usa, south america, wherever. People would come on holiday and hear a lot of music over a short period of time they maybe weren't being exposed to where they were and take that back with them. For the last 14 odd years as the internet has gotten faster and more technologically advanced you have gone from downloading the odd set 12 years ago to having access to any music anywhere 24/7, full nights of live video coverage, people don't really need ibiza to be exposed to music anymore, so in that sense the internet has made it kind of redundant.....BUT..... as long as people want to come together in a beautiful place, dance (whatever the f*** your into), get swedgered /not swedgered, have fun with their friends, meet new people from all over the world, eat nice food, relax, go to the beach, have a joint, swim in the sea, basically hit the reset button - yes you can do all these things in other places but theres a certain energy about ibiza that keeps drawing people back and new people to it, i don't think it will ever become a backwater i just think the whole dance music mecca label is a bit out of date.

*i am generalising a bit here as i know a lot of people probably feel they were exposed in a different way but im trying to make a point about why the 'dance music mecca' thing is probably no longer valid

Can you give an example of somewhere in Ibiza that matches your outlook shady? Or was it a general statement to do with anywhere?

Agree about the smaller venues much less 'show', I enjoyed a night at swag in bossa last April one sat night.

as long as people want to come together in a beautiful place, dance (whatever the f*** your into), get swedgered /not swedgered, have fun with their friends, meet new people from all over the world, eat nice food, relax, go to the beach, have a joint, swim in the sea, basically hit the reset button - yes you can do all these things in other places but theres a certain energy about ibiza that keeps drawing people back and new people to it, i don't think it will ever become a backwater

For me making the trip over from the U.S., still nothing here can come close to the experience there. The only places here that I would even try to compare from here are Las Vegas or Miami Beach, and both of those are way more about money and VIP. And both are parts of cities with a lot more rules and a lot more distractions. Neither is anywhere near being the "reset button" that Ibiza is.

With the possible exception of Miami Music Week, I'd trade time in either of those places plus take a transatlantic flight to instead be in Ibiza, 100 times out of 100. It may have lost some it it's glitter and magic, but I'm still terribly envious of all of you who have it just a cheap two hour flight away and who can drop in any summer.

For me making the trip over from the U.S., still nothing here can come close to the experience there. The only places here that I would even try to compare from here are Las Vegas or Miami Beach, and both of those are way more about money and VIP. And both are parts of cities with a lot more rules and a lot more distractions. Neither is anywhere near being the "reset button" that Ibiza is.

With the possible exception of Miami Music Week, I'd trade time in either of those places plus take a transatlantic flight to instead be in Ibiza, 100 times out of 100. It may have lost some it it's glitter and magic, but I'm still terribly envious of all of you who have it just a cheap two hour flight away and who can drop in any summer.

But everything you are running from is coming to ibiza,its already very close. soon to be one big f***ing commercial hosted by paris hilton and David guetta,romping in foam and diamonds.... But then again,i suppose it is what you make it,hey lads?

Last edited:
Ibz def needs a few more Veto/Underground sized venues to cater for crowd that want intimate vibe and real house/disco/techno eg could take a leaf out of Barcelona's book eg Barts/Macarena. but they don't make big bucks though....

Yeah,you need a vibrant underground scene. thats where the creativity is,so music and the venues that host it grow organically and creat the great party's,vibes that so many of us grew with...

Back