Your favorate Xmas hit's of all time?

Love a good chrimbo effort, you don't get bombarded here so actually missing hearing slade on a daily.

Fairytale of new York is the best but I like:

Lewie - cavalry
Bing and Bowie - little drummer boy
Elton John - step into christmas
Obviously shaky
Pretenders 2000 miles
He proper wafey stuff like johnny Mathis

And the last track 'put a bit of love in your heart' at the end of scrooged with bill Murray, gets me every time

Our local Radio Station will over the coming Xmas period be playing what they think to be the best Xmas hits of all time from past & present. Unfortunately i think i'll find myself disagreeing with many of there choices thus wondered what makes a great festive hit?

Some of my favorate's that stand out are:

Another brick in the wall = Pink Floyd 1979
Merry Christmas Everybody = Slade 1973
Mistletoe & Wine = Cliff Richard 1988
Bohemian Rhapsody = Queen 1975/1991

Though i doubt any of my selection will get a mention.

The following list finally represents what our local RSL Radio Stations listeners voted as there all time favorate xmas song's over the last festive weekend. I have to say that i don't agree with many of their choices.

1: Last Christmas - Wham 1984
2: Mary's boy child - Boney M 1978
3: Alway's on my mind - Pet Shop Boys 1987
4: Mull of Kintyre - Wings 1977
5: Another brick in the wall - Pink Floyd 1979
6: Don't you want me baby - Human League 1981
7: Bohemium Rhapsody - Queen 1975
8: To become one - Spice Girls 1996
9: Mistletoe & Wine - Cliff Richard 1988
10: Moon River -Danny Williams 1961

How on earth the Spice girls got voted into the top 10 beggers beyond belief along also with that of "Last Christmas" by Wham being the N° 1 choice by far from the listeners? Just goes to show some people have no taste in good music.:(

Mind you i often wonder how accurate radio stations are when polling their listeners for finding the best hit's etc as next year (like every year) they'll probably do the same poll and thus the Top 10 list above will i'm sure be a completely different one.

I think i'll stick to listening to the like's of "The Newsboys" and "George Thorogood" as though not known for recording xmas hit's atleast there songs have a purpose and meaning? Unlike some of the listener choices above.

Back