Winter flights petition

Hmm, I would be inclined to agree with Carmen Ferrer, sounds like pretty bad value for Ibiza tbh. The flight schedule was poor, certainly from the uk.

i rather got the impression that the majority of users of the service were expats based in ibiza going back to london. (based on what expats going back to london had said/written)

I can't believe they are not going to carry on with these winter flights! All of the ones I had been on over the past few years had always been full.

Ibiza is lovely in the winter.

So instead of having a nice and easy direct flight to Ibiza, you will now have to fly to bcn wait hours for a flight and then get on a plane for what, 45 mins to ibiza, which adds costs and takes a stupid amount of time

Yeah, that makes sense.

Sorry..rant over...

True in a way but unless you live in London, Herts, Essex or East Anglia Stansted is an absolute b*gger to get to and an awful drive home after a trip abroad. Have nearly fallen asleep at the wheel twice trying to make it all the way home from there in the past.

I actually don't really mind the transits through Madrid or Barcelona apart from a bit of wasted time if your trip is short. Did it in August and after closing parties to keep costs manageable when a direct return flight at short notice was going to top £450 (utter madness) - as compared to about £150 tops coming back one way via the mainland. It was no real hardship.

The 'via' permutation could actually be an enjoyable addition to a winter trip, but travelling with children it is not an easy option.

If the island were serious about increasing winter tourism, it would need some good marketing rather than putting a few hundred grand into Dermot's back pocket. Every person who has written about their winter trip on here are in unison saying it is absolutely magical. Sadly it seems like the vast majority are never going to find out for themselves.

The 'via' permutation could actually be an enjoyable addition to a winter trip, but travelling with children it is not an easy option.

If the island were serious about increasing winter tourism, it would need some good marketing rather than putting a few hundred grand into Dermot's back pocket. Every person who has written about their winter trip on here are in unison saying it is absolutely magical. Sadly it seems like the vast majority are never going to find out for themselves.

well put

I totally love Ibiza in winter and would continue to do many more trips in winter if flights are direct - it means you can just pop over easily
When u do the via Barcelona route it takes up valuable Ibiza time and is a right pain with kids in tow

in a strange way it's probably actually better for me... i have to get 4 flights anyway so instead of doing belfast-stansted-ibiza and back i now need to get a quick bus to dublin and then dublin-barcelona-ibiza and back either through barcelona or madrid.. this actually cuts out me having to spend 9/10hrs on the floor in stansted as the flight arrives in from ibiza at 10:30pm or so and the first flight home is at 8:00am or so the next morning...

instead i will be able to get flights at decent times plus i get to spend from 10:00 in the morning until 8pm that night in barcelona.... i could even time my trips to allow me to stay overnight in barcelona and madrid and go to two matches.... 8)

We`re going again in febuary for 3 nights via barcelona.Arrive in barca 14:30 and fly to ibiza 20:30.. plenty of time to get into town for some good food&drinks before we fly to the island8)Thank you Mr o leary..

1 week booked in december 2011 con amigo, 1 week in jan 2012 con bro, 1 week in march 2012 with the wife and kids... Due to no direct flights this winter Iberia have taken over £1000 off me that could have been spent on the Island in all manner of places, what a bunch of morons.

unhappily, the island authorities probably asked to see ryanair's passenger stats before deciding to cancel the subsidy. i rather imagine that the return flights to ibiza were at least equalled and probably bettered by the return flights from ibiza carrying people off to spend thousands in fancy london town. maybe the petition to reinstate the subsidy should be addressed to boris johnson?

good point, I was thinking about this, for the last couple of years I and many others were questioned in the boarding queue for the Ryanair flight back to London. A friendly couple of girls just doing a survey with questions like, where did you stay, do you live here or on holiday...you get the picture.
In hindsight the correct answer for anyone to give in future whether or not you live on the island is Hotel, holiday and spent a small fortune in a week!

I have a couple of 'via madrid' flights this winter and shall be mentioning that I would have extra money to spend if I had't had to visit Madrid! (make up a load of nonsense about the price of Hotels and fine dining in Madrid)
I suggest anyone popping over to the Uk for some Christmas shopping fibs the best they can if they want to see any chance of direct flights again.

don't forget, that for the majority of expats living here, a flight to stansted is less use than two connecting flights to the uk via palma, barcelona or madrid. the total journey time is quicker and cheaper that way.

yep. I appreciate that, Stansted is a bit of a pain for me but not a big one. Heathrow then gatwick being my nearest but you have to take what is available. I like the direct flight thing as I don't have to worry about missing a connection. That said, with London having a large population, I guess that it's the only place in the uk that may generate enough business for winter flights would be one of the London airports.

I still think however that even if you are from Inverness, it can't harm to use the 3 H's.. Hotel, holiday and ho my god I spent a fortune on my holiday this time. You never Know where Mr O'Leary may fly from and to, It could be anywhere (including Inverness).

interestingly, the airports of northern england send more people to ibiza in summer than any other region in britain, so there could be an argument that manchester - equidistant from the main centres of population in london and scotland and not in the middle of frigging nowhere - would be a better airport than stansted?

that is interesting...after all, at the end of the day direct flights from anywhere would be a better deal than none at all

Back