wild/free camping spots in the island?

nicco

hola chicos y chicas!
like many around the world i am in financial ruin due to this stupid virus but i still have tickets for closing.
hotels (even the cheapest) is above budget.
So i had a great idea!
Do any of you have any knowledge of free camping spots in the shade i could go pitch my hammock without getting bothered by the GC? Preferably bus accessible!

Rent a car for a fee less than ur camping price?
Or rent a room every 3-4 days?(wot i dit along some ibz summers b4 deciding to do ibz summers without location ?)

i've already done ibz many times without location ?(sometimes i was lucky to have a mate that could house me in the living room) eg closing 18 3 weeks sleeping(felt asleep ) only 3times ,4 hours each time, can't say it was peaceful holidays ?

it's doable along closing, very hard along summer because of the heat ? , u need to have showers a lot of time

i will be worried with camping as how can u get ur luggage safe?

What r u supposed to do with ur clubbing tix? i can't see club open as u may heard many times along the whatsapp group, even u know how i will be very willing for closing parties.

ps:remember ibz opening 18: Dalt vila IMS+Privilege opening+Ants ushuaia part2+elrow opening amnesia+ Hi opening+ Saga opening heart ibz +Dc10 Circoloco ?‍☠️ )i havent got location for my 4 days shortest ibz trip, peace of cake , i nearly miss my plane that tuesday morning 10h30am ?

Last edited:
are there any threads about camper hire? I couldn't find any.

it is one of my dreams but I don't know how realistic it is (Sept)

hmmm I don't even know if there's an official camper rental place here on the island. what does señor google say mr T?

hola chicos y chicas!
like many around the world i am in financial ruin due to this stupid virus but i still have tickets for closing.
hotels (even the cheapest) is above budget.
So i had a great idea!
Do any of you have any knowledge of free camping spots in the shade i could go pitch my hammock without getting bothered by the GC? Preferably bus accessible!

i stayed in that rather remote area near punta de sa pedrera at a road called carrer torrent; https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d38.9663485!4d1.2590686

1590656656245.png

there were camper vans parked on a nice spot overlooking the bay of san antonio. seemed legal.

1590656809242.png

Attachments

• 1590656061628.png
    1590656061628.png
    912.1 KB · Views: 7

Most probably workers "homes"

@nicco, this idea is familiar to me. One year when I couldn't afford living expenses I surmised that I could live at a campsite. I never went through with it though, and now I think it's a bad idea. But staying there for a few nights in Ibiza sounds magnificent!

Do many locals camp on Ibiza? I'm thinking tourists likely shy away from the outdoorsy things, but I may be off base with that assumption.

@nicco, this idea is familiar to me. One year when I couldn't afford living expenses I surmised that I could live at a campsite. I never went through with it though, and now I think it's a bad idea. But staying there for a few nights in Ibiza sounds magnificent!

Do many locals camp on Ibiza? I'm thinking tourists likely shy away from the outdoorsy things, but I may be off base with that assumption.
There are some official camping sites, off the top of my head; 3 in the Es Cana area, East coast, San Antonio and Cala Bassa, West coast.
A couple of others (can't think at mo) as well. The thing is they are expensive and get booked up early. (in normal years anyway) I have certainly rented apartments a lot cheaper. If locals wanted to camp they would know places they could get away with it, and as already said they wouldn't put specific details on the web. Yes there are plenty of vans etc on quiet bits of the coast and in woods.

we've been watching a lot of camping videos recently (exciting evenings in, part 4343), people renovating vans travelling around Galicia etc, given us lots of ideas. I know it's illegal in IBZ to go wild although there are certain places I can't imagine get a lot of police traffic, but if we were to do it legally say at Cala Nova, has anyone tried the site there? is it just families or is there is much fun there for adults?

we've been watching a lot of camping videos recently (exciting evenings in, part 4343), people renovating vans travelling around Galicia etc, given us lots of ideas. I know it's illegal in IBZ to go wild although there are certain places I can't imagine get a lot of police traffic, but if we were to do it legally say at Cala Nova, has anyone tried the site there? is it just families or is there is much fun there for adults?

I think @james knows some of the official campings, PM him.

and if you ever want to spend a night out camping where no one comes checking you know who to ask 😉

I know it's illegal in IBZ to go wild although there are certain places
I am curious, exactly what is "illegal"?

Is it illegal to sleep in a car?

How is a camper van different from a car? It's a licensed road vehicle permitted to drive and to park on public roads. Or are you talking about camping in a tent next to the car/van?

About the Cala Nova site; I've not stayed there but spent lots of time in the area. The site has a very mixed crowd with a good amount of new (young) hippies, you know the type white, dreads, pantaloons, perhaps a french bulldog sitting on the footrests of a good Italian scooter, usually a good herbal fog in the air....I think any fun would be of your own making, maybe some acoustic music and bbq? reminds me, there's a video here somewhere, features this campsite, can't remember the title? very good shop just outside, best bocadillos for miles, made to spec.

Edit: Here's that video, gracias McRackin. I guess you've already seen it?
CALA NOVA IBIZA - The Other Ibiza (FULL MOVIE) - YouTube

Last edited:

How is a camper van different from a car? It's a licensed road vehicle permitted to drive and to park on public roads. Or are you talking about camping in a tent next to the car/van?

ok so...

as far as I know, wild camping in the real sense - as in putting up a tent - isn't allowed anywhere in spain outside official campgrounds (the ones you pay for) and designated free campsites (ibiza doesn't have any, mallorca does). obviously, if you are an outdoor person, the thing you are after is finding that perfect spot out somewhere to spend the night. with a tent it's not that hard, as long as you don't leave a trace and find a place where you're not overly visible, nothing will happen if you spend a night there. if it's for longer than one night you'll have to be extra sure you're somewhere well hidden...

as for campervans and motorhomes...yes, you are of course permitted to drive on roads and to park on public parking spots. the issue starts when it's overnight parking (which is obviously what you want) and you start putting out your table and chairs in front of the van and maybe a small tent etc. I don't know the legal details on this, but you're only allowed to park, but not to actually 'camp' on public parking spots. and a bit similar as with putting up your tent in a nice place, most people travelling to the balearics with their RV aren't interested in sleeping on some boring public parking space - they want somewhere idyllic, close to the sea etc. and this is where the problems start, because sadly some ignorants of the caravan community park their vehicles just about anwyhere they can. if it's just one RV on the parking of one of our small beaches then it's fine, but last summer, with the non-clubbing season we had, tons of people came to ibiza with their furgonetas and a few of the 'choice' spots were filled with vans.

Two people sleeping in the roof of a car in a street of Ibiza. Cristina Martinez Escandell 02/06/2016.​

Two-people-sleeping-in-the-roof-of-a-car-in-a-street-of-Ibiza-Cristina-Martinez.png

Back