wifi router help

it is under the others - it 780 wl model.

right tried all things people said and no joy.

1) firstly, maybe unrelated. last week my IP started 81.36 something, today it is reading 213.98.....something

anyway, as for the router.

2) when i get the set up screen i get 3 options, which are:

1. Data default

DESCRIPTION UK Default Routed PPP connection (use as UK default config)
REGION UK
PROVIDER All

2. Data custom

DESCRIPTION UK Custom Routed PPP connection (Public Subnet config etc)
REGION UK
PROVIDER All

3. DESCRIPTION UK Voice and Data connection (Internet and VoIP)
REGION UK
PROVIDER All
Routed internet connection

after each one i get 4 things to fill.

username and password is fine.
i get a choice of pppoe or pppoa, which is fine cos i pick pppoe ( i know is right).
but i also have to pick a vpi/vci from 0.38, 1.50 and 8.35 (i've tried all and none work)

mode: routing
pppoe
llc
vpi: 8
vci: 32
atm qos: atm
obtain ip automatically
nailed up connection
pppoe passthrugh: no

that should be it

in system status are you being given an ip address ie 83.33.22.22 etc?
in diagnostics can you do an atm loopback test?

have you hooked up your laptop *directly* with the router and is the laptop getting an ip address assigned automatically ie 192.168.0 (or 1).35?

ade, i appreciate your help i really do, but it's not happening...here is the info from connections in control panel, if it means anything.:confused:

Physical Address: 00-16-76-B4-31-05
IP Address: 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained: 21/11/2008 14:49:09
Lease Expires: 22/11/2008 14:49:09
DNS Server: 192.168.1.254
WINS Server:

ok - go into connections again

and click on properties instead of details/status

scroll down and double click on tcp/ip

leave obtain ip auto
change obtain dns auto to the following

and click ok all the way out

click on start, run and type cmd - and enter
you should have a black command screen
type ping 80.58.61.250 - hopefully you wont get 4 "timeouts"
if your get a reply
type ping google.es - if you get replies around 250ms then youre on the net :)

if not what does the system status say in the router ?

if youre still f**ked - if youre around sta eul pop in and i'll look at it - pm me

Hi Grego.

Could be a simple problem ......

Click Start button, Connect to, right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties, Wireless Network tab, check if "Use Windows to configure......" is ticked, if not tick the box and wait - it should connect after a few seconds.

I have to do this every so often.

I think it's down to some Netgear settings autoloading on bootup on my labbie.

If not, try Chewie's suggestion lol.

;)

IP Address: 192.168.1.64
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
he connects to the router otherwise he wouldnt get an ip address in the same range as the router - if he didnt connect he'd get a private range ie 169.172.x.x

My geeky friend says

"OK, he says in post 1 that he has internet through the router via a cable, so the thing is connecting to the internet and he can use it. If the WiFi is connecting to the router but the router is not passing the internet through that connection I'd put money on the fact that its a security issue with the router.

Find out what security he is using between router and computer laptop. Also find out if it is a computer or a laptop and what wireless adaptor he is using in it.

it maybe the security between the wireless adaptor in the laptop or computer and the router itself. As he can get internet through the router its nothing to do with the ISP as others have said."

Last edited by a moderator:
have you hooked up your laptop *directly* with the router and is the laptop getting an ip address

as yer man says, if this is correct then its your wireless connection & settings not your router to net connection

ie if you plug an ethernet cable from your laptop to the router do you get internet ?

thats the fundamental first question

if you can get the net through a physical cable connection, go into the wireless lan security settings and turn off (disable) wpa/security and see if you get the net

to the last 2 posts - no, when i use the english router, it doesn't work even if i'm just using the cable. i can only access the net when i use the monopuerto thing i got from telefonica. so basically the wifi is alright (always), just the internet access part, whether by cable or wifi.

anyway, i've got a date with a mr.fix it! :idea:

hi drew! :D

Back