wifi router help

grego

we have internet (supplied thru a cable the old fashioned way at the mo) because i can work out wtf is going on with my router.

basically it is the one we had in england, so i realise there must be some kind of different configuration but i've no idea what.

any ideas??

(basically the wifi works fine, but it can't establish a connection to the net, so it must something to do with those properties)

:?:idea:

turn off router
turn off comp

turn on router, wait for ready/sync lights to go solid.

turn on comp.

should sync up and link

This is basic, so if you've tried this already then mea culpa.

Have you gone into the router's setup and checked to see that it's logging in to the Internet properly?

Usually you need to establish a wi-fi connection with the router and then type http://192.162.1.1 (last digit could also be 0) into your computer's web browser.

every adsl router ive bought for people in spain work straight out of the box with no need for configuring anything.. so if you had it in the uk you probably need to factory reset

at the back of the router will be a little hole that a paper clip will fit in - stick a paperclip and you should feel a little "click" hold that in until the lights on the front flicker and change

this will reset to factory and theorectically you should just have to wait for the adsl to synch - a few minutes is normal - what make and model of router is it ?

(connect your laptop/pc by ethernet cable first and establish internet before using the wifi side)

It was a while ago, but if i remember correctly, with my telefonica adsl connection , I had to enter a user name and pass they supplied into the router, I think I got it by phoning 1004, customer service`s.
Have a good one
Tim

john - the wifi bit works fine, it won't connect to the internet tho.

thanks ade, i'll give a try as i've not tried the factory reset yet.

problem so far has been when i go to configure the only options i get are for UK based configurations. if the factory reset doesn't work then i'll explain the options....

turn off router
turn off comp

turn on router, wait for ready/sync lights to go solid.

turn on comp.

should sync up and link

do you work in our it dept??

"have you tried re-booting"??

"didnt you hear me? I said my laptop has been STOLEN!!"

Perhaps I should have been more verbose.

You said before the Wifi was working, which means the problem must be with the router logging into the network.

When I said go into router setup to make sure that the router is logging in to the Internet properly, I meant checking the login details page, where you'd enter things like username and password.

You shouldn't have to factory reset (although if you didn't have any of your own custom configuration to reprogram then it shouldn't make a difference). Just fix the Wan setup details (with Mr L K's login details)

the password and stuff is correct........

but in the configuration it talks about UK default configurations for vpi/vci and ppoa/ppoe or something

i'll explain you all that asks for later.

:confused:

cant u google info on the hardware to see if its compatible with yr area?

im assuming its a UK router being used in Spain

if you do its in the wan setup:

user: adslppp@telefonicanetpa
pw: adslppp

The above is about what i needed for mine. Not when you are asked for user name and pass-word just to log-on to the wireless network, But to connect the router to the net,

So,,, try typing the (in normal www) address 198.168.0.1 ( that is for netgear router`s, what is your`s ? it will be similar just usually only the last 0.1 changes,It will say in the instructions)
If it asks for user name and pass it is usually admin and password.
Find the basic settings page, login and pass are as quoted above, Encapsulation is PPPoE

Have a good one
Tim

Back