Who says Ibiza's finished?! (30July-6th Aug)

neilly303

Okay so we've had all the doom-sayers saying Ibiza is on the way out because of the supposed crackdown on drugs and apparent no after-hours.. Well the week I spent there in August was the best times I ever had- anywhere! 8)

WEDNESDAY:
I always think one of the best bits about going to Ibiza is actually flying into the island and seeing the mountains and the villas with swimming pools dotted around the landscape, thinking to myself thank fukc i'm out of Scotland!' and feeling the inside of the plane get hotter and hotter and the anticipation knowing that the wait is almost over! Well this year was double better because the air traffic was too busy to land and we had to fly around the island a couple of times taking in awesome views from above of San An, Vedra, Salines, and San Rafael. Finally we got off the plane to 38 degree sun and I knew we had arrived! 8)
It was good to be back in San An and see everyone out in the streets and on the beaches, noticably quieter but who cares really? Had a few in Bar M and made plans for the night- Meganite @ Privilege- one of my favourite haunts, I heard the numbers weren't as strong for this night this year but expected it to be busier as the peak of the season was here. At 20 Euro a ticket it seemed a bit too good to be true- and it was as it later turned out...
Chilled out with a bottle of vino on the beach and headed to the west end which was pretty dead which was a bit worrying but then I remembered Lineker's was open and half the west end was probably in there! Got an illegal taxi to Privilege for 15 Euro and the guy driving us explained that because of the afterhours laws the island was a lot quieter this year so ticket prices and taxi prices were down generally as people were simply going elsewhere.
On entering Privilege at 3am it was evident that there was only about 2500 people in there. Not bad numbers elsewhere but in Privilege it seems like 250 people! The Coco Loco room was closed which pissed me off as that place is my fave part of Privilege.. but the music was amazing and the DJs: Mauro Picotto, Slam, Gabry Fasano and Mark Henning were on top form: all in all a really good night. The improved sound system is awesome too. Now all the club needs is a make-over- especially the toilets and those rancid yellow walls!
From what people told me in there Made In Italy moving to Wednesday nights this year has had a significant effect on Meganite's numbers.

THURSDAY:
Never went to sleep so decided to head to the new promenade for a chillout and do a bit of serious sunbathing! I really love it in this area and the view you get from left to right is beauitiful right across the bay.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt.jpg

That night I had planned on going to Be @ Space and was definately up for it, even if the numbers were down. I knew Cream and FMIF were on that night- not my thang at all, but you'll always get people that will go to Space on a big night. Met a nice girl who gave me Invitation passes for Be- 10 Euro before midnight. Bit of a bonus because they were selling tickets for 40 Euro that night which was still not bad considering Cream was 50 Euro and FMIF was 65 Euro on the door- what a rip off! haha
Now the last time I went to Space I didn't have a good night due to severe over indulgence so was eager to return and see Danny Tenaglia for the first time. Walking into Space was amazing- the lights, the people, the atmosphere and most importantly the music! It started off in the new covered terrace with DT playing housier tunes talking to the crowd and just generally being a cool guy. I think you need DJ's like him and Carl Cox who actually acknowledge the punters instead of standing with their heads down at the booth a la Sasha & Digweed. I like it when a DJ isn't afraid to interact with the crowd and DT is a showman! The highlight was when he got the crowd to sing 'The Space Dance' along with him.. At 3am the Discoteca opened up and DT played another set in there- more techier, tribally, before another DJ closed the night this guy was amazing too but for the life of me I don't know who he was- my friend was adamant it was Wally Lopez but unless he'd got a haircut and his eyesight corrected before his set then it couldn't have been! :D. Waited outside for my friend at 5am and noticed there were still people queing to get in! My friend never surfaced so went for a stroll myself down Bora Bora in pitch blackness- could have done with DT's flashlight! Eventually got a taxi back home at 7am.

FRIDAY:
Never went to sleep again, (can you see a pattern emerging here?) Today we just chilled at my hotel pool and talked about the plans for the night- Either Wonderland or Manumission. People were saying go to Supermartxe but I thought that might be a bit too 'pink' for me so decided against it. Wonderland didn't really look that good even though John Dahlback was playing. I'm not a big fan of Eden or Pete Tong and the only real attraction was that the club was right next to my hotel.I thought it'd be too chavvy also and too rammed because it was the start of the R1 weekend and I really couldn't be ****ed with those PR reps telling me that Wonderland was the best night on the island - respect to them for managing to keep a straight face whilst doing so!! So we opted for Manumission. I was apprehensive about going here too because Paul Oakenfold was playing and I'm not a fan of his at all. Would tonight change my opinion? Read on :)
We went to the Ibiza Rocks Hotel at 3pm for the Radio1 party / Essential Selection. Now I didn't hold out much hope for this after the shambles at Mambo last year (very low sound), but WOW! It really was something else- there must have been about 1500 people in the pool area partying and having a good time in the sun. They really should hold their events in here from now on- at least it's up to the hotel how high the music can be turned up. Stayed for Vernon Kaye and Annie Mac before leaving around 6pm when someone told me David Guetta was due on- time for a sharp exit!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

yryry.jpg

I was wondering what Manumission was like at Amnesia and was curious to see if they could pull it off. Arrived at the club early at 1am to get a proper look at the new terrace.. Looks awesome! The way they have moved the DJ booth to the other side looks amazing and it feels like you are in a different club. I think most DJs will want to play in here now as it makes the main room look like a side-room! We spent the first part of the night in the terrace with it filling up nicely around 2 before heading into the main room to check out Zane Lowe. He played an energetic set but mostly indie/dance mashups. Sounds weird for Amnesia but it worked in a way. It was funny trying to watch the dancers move to Beatles tunes! Oakenfold came on but didn't really impress. Just played the same old trance filler. The Manumission show was basically the same as every other year but went better than I expected. Left about 7am and headed back to San An.

SATURDAY/SUNDAY:
Yep you guessed it - stayed up again! Well I always like to say- ''when youv'e seen more sunrises than sunsets- you know youv'e had an amazing holiday! :)'' Just decided to chill the next 2 days and try and get some sort of a tan. Just lay down Cala Des Moro and caught some rays but bed was calling so had an early one about 9. Sunday- same again just chilled out and prepared for the imminent Disco Invasion!

MONDAY:
Woke up fresh as a daisy early and decided to take a boat trip to chill out before Cocoon that night- and where better than to the mystical rock- Es Vedra? Got on the boat at 3pm and set sail across the bay. The scenery is amazing along the west coast- all those millionaire's villas on the cliffs and the little packed beaches. Now the best time definetely to see Es Vedra is sundown, but we opted for the cheaper 3pm trip- just to reinforce the old Scottish stereotype of course!. When Es Vedra is right there in front of you it is simply breathtaking- I can see why people get emotional about it- there's just something about that big old rock!

rrrrrrrrrr.jpg

fffffffffff.jpg

Set sail for San An and the night I'd been looking forward to the most: Cocoon. Would it live up to expectations? Or had I underestimated how popular this night had become?...
50 Euro for a ticket is pushing it a bit let's be honest. But with a lineup like Sven Vath, Richie Hawtin and Ricardo Villalobos- theyv'e got you by the balls! Had a few peeps to meet that night so didn't get to the club till later than planned. I was at Cocoon exactly a year before- same date, same lineup, and it was nowhere near like the scene that awaited us outside Amnesia- sheer pandemonium- people scrambling over each other trying to get tickets, taxis everywhere and people being herded into makeshift queues. Surprise surprise the guestlist one was the longest!! I could hear the bass from within the club and we were nearly there- but would we get in or not? That was the question. Eventually a bouncer opened a fire exit round the side of the terrace and let us in to an already packed room. It was like walking into a sauna wearing thermals! If it wasn't for those ice cannons- they'd be dropping like flies in there on a busy night! The music in the terrace was awesome.The Main Room however, was the place to be that night but without the aid of a pole vault I wasn't going to get there anytime soon... Eventually after much pushing and shoving we got to the top of the slope between the main room and the terrace. Took us 15 minutes to walk 30 feet! They really should split this bit into 'in' and 'out' lanes! FINALLY 25 minutes since entering the club we were here and Richie Hawtin was on the decks/laptops whatever and I managed to get a good spot on a podium. The whole room was absolutely rammed out and there wasn't an inch of floorspace available. Hawtin played really bouncy upbeat stuff not so introverted as his usual style of music. At 3am Sven Vath came on and played really fast banging Techno with a few crowd pleasers thrown in for good measure at the end. An amazing night and amazing tunes but the crowd numbers spoiled it a little. Might go in July next year... Left about 7 and caught the disco bus!

TUESDAY:
No sleep till Brooklyn as the old song goes! :) Stayed up again- I'm an insomniac! :eek: Was going to go to Bora Bora since it was the last day but decided against it as it was already 36 degrees by 10am so just chilled on San An main beach. And eventually went for a few hours sleep. Wanted to go to Carl Cox that night and thought I might be able to do 8-12 then come home but there's no such thing as an early night in Ibiza, and I had a morning flight the next day- no way was I missing it. Shame too because Laurent Garnier was playing but I'll make a point of going there first next year. Just went to watch the obligatory last sunset of the holiday... 8)

rweew.jpg

WEDNESDAY:
Home- AAARGH!!!! :eek:

So that was my Ibiza this year- definetely the best one for me.. so far.. and going to be doing it again same time next year. Yes Ibiza is expensive, it's not the free place it used to be and the afterhours are gone BUT it's still the best place in the world to holiday, and the best place in the world to go clubbing. Where else can you get Tiesto and Sven Vath playing in clubs across the road from each other on a Monday night?

HIGHLIGHT OF THE HOLIDAY: Be @ Space
LOW POINT OF THE HOLIDAY: Paying 36 Euro for a double vodka and Red Bull in Amnesia! :eek:
FAVE BAR: Bar M
FAVE RESTAURANT: Food? What's that? :)

BIGGEST TUNES:
Sis - Trompeta
Daniel Papini - Church of Nonsense
3 Drives On A Vinyl - Greece 2000 (Gabi Newman Remix)
Robert Babickt - Dark Flower (Joris Voorn Remix)
Rox & Taylor - Otherside
Style Of Eye - The Big Kazoo
Dubfire - Grindhouse

STUFF WORTH MENTIONING:

CLUBBING:

Some clubs were a lot quieter than others even more so, but there is a fair amount of newcomers this year Goa, Be, Mondays Calling, Yxaiio, Soul Heaven, Rogue Indie, Clubland, Soldiers etc, and any parties held on a Monday, Thursday or Friday are always going to suffer when up against Tiesto,Fmif, Cocoon, Cream, Pure Pacha and Wonderland.

You can gauge how busy a club is going to be on the night by how much they are charging for entry..

If it's cheap- It's not too busy and they want as many people as possible.

If it's expensive- It will be busy and they want as many Euros as possible!

DRUGS/LAW:

I was expecting rubber glove wielding Guardia Civil on every street corner stop searching everyone in sight this year, but no- I hardly saw any on foot to be honest. Some driving around at night but more so the local policia who I saw stopping the odd Lookie.
They may be strict on when a club can open but I was in Amnesia on 2 occasions at 7am and the bouncers weren't bothering to start moving people out the club- infact the place was still rocking!
There are still the same amount of illegal taxis on the roads and Lookies on the street selling drugs. I was even offered MDMA from a glass collector in one of the 'big 7' clubs- so not much has changed on that front.
Also afterhours venues are a lot more prominent this year than previous seasons in my opinion. Almost every morning whist waiting for a bus at 8am I was handed flyers for afterhours in Ibiza town and PDB. This has never happened to me before in Ibiza so the clubs that are shut throughout the day have created a new market for more afterhours venues which can only be a bad thing concerning drugs and safety issues but it's all been said before!

Last edited by a moderator:
great review:)
i was standing just behind you at ibiza rocks judging from your pics!!!
glad you enjoyed it, it wasnt my thing.... i was too sober when i arrived :oops:

Nice choice mate :) http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1207218&postcount=137

Great review, by the sounds of it very little has changed from when I was there last year although I still think the quietness is more to do with general econmic problems - did you not take up on any after hour offers mate?

That Dark Flower is an amazing tune mate! I was waiting for Sven to play it all night in Cocoon!

Yes your right the strength of the Euro has a lot to do with the lower numbers this year.

I didn't go to any afters, they were always on in towns the opposite direction from where we were headed. They were being held in bars in Ibiza town and PDB.

great review:)
i was standing just behind you at ibiza rocks judging from your pics!!!
glad you enjoyed it, it wasnt my thing.... i was too sober when i arrived :oops:

Yeah it isn't for everybody but it's good to see free events of that scale being held in Ibiza! I didn't like the system they had where you had to queue to buy tokens then queue again for the bar- bit chaotic!

Thanks for the review! Really enjoyed reading it.
Glad you had lots of fun... and nice to know i am not the only insomniac around! ;)

Great review! I'll be there Aug-18th-28th, coming from Vancouver, it's a long way to come but we'll have to make the most of our trip, despite the changes and slower season. this will be my 9th time on the White Isle, the Euro is killing us! it just keeps getting more expensive every year, not sure if I can afford to go again next year though...:cry:

Sounds like you had a good one mate, nice one.

Sounds like Cocoon is maybe too packed for my liking. :confused:

Maybe not be so bad when I'm there (1st September).

Great review mate! Only thing is, you said Someone came on after DT @ Space, but DT played from 2:30 till close mate...! We where there till close and he was still playing! :)

Top review! Really worried about Cocoon though, I never made it last year as I over indulged in DC10 and didnt end up leaving till the music went off at nearly 3am [after getting in there at 4pm...!!!] and after experiencing a seriously over crowded Pacha last year for Subliminal i dont want to experience the same thing again! Am over this year, 7th September so should it be a bit more bareable for Cocoon then?

Sounds like you had a good one mate, nice one.

Sounds like Cocoon is maybe too packed for my liking. :confused:

Maybe not be so bad when I'm there (1st September).

Top review! Really worried about Cocoon though, I never made it last year as I over indulged in DC10 and didnt end up leaving till the music went off at nearly 3am [after getting in there at 4pm...!!!] and after experiencing a seriously over crowded Pacha last year for Subliminal i dont want to experience the same thing again! Am over this year, 7th September so should it be a bit more bareable for Cocoon then?

Thanks guys, don't worry Cocoon, will be back to normal by September- don't let my review put you off- after all the night I was there was the very peak of the season, and Cocoon is probably the biggest night on the island at the moment. You should be able to at least dance when you go there next month! :)

nice review ... really glad that Ibiza still has the magic for you !

Cheers mate! What's happening this year won't put me off going next year- if we keep the faith, things will even out eventually!

Great review mate! Only thing is, you said Someone came on after DT @ Space, but DT played from 2:30 till close mate...! We where there till close and he was still playing! :)

Ahh I definately saw another dude play before I left, maybe DT was still on next door, not sure which room, but he was awesome! :)

Great review 8)

It's annoying how it seems half the nights are rammed and the other half are quiet. wish it'll be more spreadout!

Great review 8)

It's annoying how it seems half the nights are rammed and the other half are quiet. wish it'll be more spreadout!

Cheers man!

Yeah there is definetely a line drawn between the big nights and the small nights this year... the smaller parties can't pull the punters in on 'big' nights like Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays- even with the discounts and free wristbands...

Last edited by a moderator:
Super duper Neilly Boy!! a cracking read ..... ill be delighted with half of that in my 2 weeks when i go ... ;)

can't believe you stayed up for such a long time :eek:
great review though and thanks for the tip concerning the tickets' price

Back