Who fancies a line of bananas?

Jam Man

Cocaine cargo hidden in bananas reaches shops in Spain

Drug smugglers appear to have made a major slip-up, after huge quantities of cocaine were delivered to supermarkets in Spain hidden in boxes of bananas.

Police were alerted after a shelf-stacker at a Lidl supermarket in Madrid found a brick of neatly wrapped cocaine under a bunch of the fruit on Saturday.
Searching other Lidl shops, police sniffer dogs reportedly found 25 such packets, worth several million euros.
The fruit had been shipped in from Ecuador and Ivory Coast.
Reports suggest an error by drug smugglers had led to their failing to retrieve almost 80kg (175lb) of cocaine from the boxes before they were distributed. Police said the drug packets had not made it onto supermarket shelves.
Meanwhile, Dutch police arrested five men and seized more than a tonne of cocaine hidden in a shipment of whisky from Jamaica.
With a street value of some 30m euros, the 1,100kg of cocaine was the largest Dutch seizure of drugs from the Caribbean island, Reuters reported.

Nappies and seafood
The plantain bananas had arrived at a Madrid wholesale fruit and vegetable market from the south-east port of Sagunto last week, destined for supermarkets in the Madrid area.
Bananas were removed from shelves of the Lidl supermarkets in the capital, and a tonne of the fruit had been destroyed, said a spokesman for the German company.
"It's the first time that this has happened to Lidl in Spain - and we hope it's also the last," he told the BBC.
A police investigation into the find has spread from the capital to the eastern Caceres region.
The discovery comes weeks after police discovered 228kg of cocaine hidden in banana boxes shipped into Sagunto.
Last year Spanish police seized more than 14 tonnes of cocaine, which had been smuggled into the country in stuffed animals, nappies, seafood and, in one instance, a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8441020.stm

Before k came along and did an even better job (minimal). Thank goodness that's over. :D

People suddenly didn't need melodies, lyrics or emotion any more...they just wanted to stand around like smacked out mongoloids. :lol:

You're preaching to the converted Grego! 8)

Pseudo joy packaged in a little tablet combined with electronically produced synthy noises kinda worked for a while there.

i was too young to be going clubbing in the early 90's but all my mates who were old enough used to all take speed or acid.

so should we revert back to these to bring back the atmosphere of days gone by?

I'd agree that coke partially screwed things up (writes Mr Hypocrite) but there's a lot of other factors too. People who are jaded, or getting older, or the lack of exciting new music, or greedy promoters going through the motions, or the lack of quality gear generally - it all has an impact. [The only new-ish serious scene which is being talked about right now is dubstep yet I don't see it crossing over and I think it will go the same way as jungle - ie finding a niche in the underground and staying there.] Now, there's always been coke - it defined studio 54, was certainly available at my university and it was always around the fringes of rave for those who could afford it. But prices have plummeted, the masses have their noses in the trough now - perhaps that's why things have changed? However, it's easy to generalise - when the fact is not everyone becomes an arrogant twat after a few lines, some folk become less inhibited, or get a confidence boost. Has that ruined clubs? I dunno but I would say that with the collapse in quality in E and coke alike, someone needs to pioneer a new drug or new ways of energising people when dance music is played - perhaps that is clubland's challenge of the new decade?

I think it's very simple.

All we need to do is respect the lineage a little...and that doesn't mean play lots of old tunes and take the same drugs. It just means copying the template from which dancing spaces we know and love (yes 'all') were modeled on.

=> David Mancuso's Loft. 8)

As long as the sound is good and the ego of the DJ is kept in check then the rest will follow suit. I'm not lucky enough to have clubbing memories that date back to the early 70s but I do have vivid memories of the early 90s.

The reason that era was soooo good was because there were few genres.

A 4/4 beat as an extension of disco => acid kinda summed things up.

Then house and hardcore spawned (some really good stuff too I might add)
Then jungle techno, hard house, hardbag, nu garage, speed garage...blah blah. Yawn.

People stopped being united by a groove and splintered off into their niche groups. I guess this is a healthy thing for the development of music at some level...

BUT...

British DJs are too far up their own ar$es. The focus is on the brand of the DJ rather than the co-dependent relationship between DJ & dancer. You enter a club and they think it's all about their set - therefore they bosh it out at the highest possible bpm and play all their 'top choons' and then someone else comes on and repeats the formula. Meanwhile, the club becomes a concert and everyone faces the booth. :rolleyes:

How can a DJ possibly say anything special with his music and convey lots of different moods with a 2 hour set?

Similarly, how can a DJ who plays techno only or house only or dubstep only possibly say anything new about music or educate a crowd?

Most eras have DJ heros - we just have niche fads.

The real masters of the turntables - Mancuso, Siano, Levan, Alfredo blah blah...knew how to create a night because they understood where the scene they were contributing to came from.

Therefore different genres were played to suit arrival, peak and departure and there was no pre-definted genre because people were up for being educated.

You'll notice I've not mentioned drogas. OK - so acid was important in the formation of the Loft but drugs really are secondary.

Some drugs encourage community (e, acid)...some encourage segregation and egoism (alcohol, coke). That's about all you can say on that subject.

If I have any hopes for the new decade it's that we drop our self important fickle music tastes, allow ourselves to be a bit more open to new styles (and decades) and come from a place of not knowing. That way it's more of a discovery and becomes exciting again.

Rant over. :lol:

British DJs are too far up their own ar$es. The focus is on the brand of the DJ rather than the co-dependent relationship between DJ & dancer. You enter a club and they think it's all about their set - therefore they bosh it out at the highest possible bpm and play all their 'top choons' and then someone else comes on and repeats the formula. Meanwhile, the club becomes a concert and everyone faces the booth.

^ agreed completely - it's not like that on the underground thankfully

in fact, you know what, Robder - I blame Sasha and Mixmag in 1993 - they kickstarted the whole cult of DJ bull$hit and all those stupid eyesore billboards in Ibiza on the sides of roads are the natural descendents of that

at the Hac, people respected Park and Da Silva but you didn't get huge billboards all over Greater Manchester - it was about the music and about the punters and not some cock being eulogised for playing mp3s

Only here could a thread about some chop found in some bananas descend into an in depth analysis of British Dance Culture in the last 15 years :eek::lol:

Back