What's the weather like at the moment?

i shouldn't make light, as the second deluge we had last night was that lovely brown dust rain that has left mud everywhere and left me with a pool that now has the appearance of an industrial canal, though only short of a couple of shopping trolleys and an old bike.

i shouldn't make light, as the second deluge we had last night was that lovely brown dust rain that has left mud everywhere and left me with a pool that now has the appearance of an industrial canal, though only short of a couple of shopping trolleys and an old bike.

same here.

on the upside, the sun‘s out currently and today doesn‘t look so bad.

sunny again starting from tomorrow ?

oh the morning was eventful in and around san an especially, check out the videos and pics on diario de ibiza and noudiari. there was a tornado and even some slightly injured people.

worst is over now I think - some more rain now and overnight and as from tomorrow PM it should get better.
As someone who lives in hurricane alley, that looks awfully familiar ?.

The most urgent thing is that no one is injured. Hope all have a good assecurance , then you will have a nee roof. Not bad ...

Yes on the safety bit. But having just had roofers take 5 weeks to replace lead flashings and re-slate around them, turning the garden into a building site for weeks over the Summer, I can assure that the upside of getting a new roof is not without a whole load of grief. Even if someone else were paying for it (we didn't even have that benefit !!!!! )

update on weather:

we're done with the showers I think.

tomorrow thursday will/could still be cloudy and not very hot, but it shouldn't be wet anymore.

anyone on/coming to the island fri/sat/sun I think is very lucky because as from friday it should be very sunny again and temperature will go up again. as you might know sat to sun the hour changes and thus for me, this is really really the very last summer weekend. as it looks, we're in for a good one and we're surely gonna try and make the most out of it!! yay!

Yes on the safety bit. But having just had roofers take 5 weeks to replace lead flashings and re-slate around them, turning the garden into a building site for weeks over the Summer, I can assure that the upside of getting a new roof is not without a whole load of grief. Even if someone else were paying for it (we didn't even have that benefit !!!!! )
Bloody hell, how big is your roof! ?. I work in roof repair/maitenance

Bloody hell, how big is your roof! ?. I work in roof repair/maitenance

Grade II listed issues - every slate cut to size, all the rafters non-standard & had to be replaced plus British weather and Summer disruption. Was 2m either side of 3 valley gutters and ended up involving all that time against a 2 week estimate. Then days trying to get scaffolder back to remove the rig. Complete f***ing nightmare tbh not to mention the financial wipeout. Wouldn't be so bad but the rest of the house has a reed thatched roof and we've got all that to maintain as well !

Grade II listed issues - every slate cut to size, all the rafters non-standard & had to be replaced plus British weather and Summer disruption. Was 2m either side of 3 valley gutters and ended up involving all that time against a 2 week estimate. Then days trying to get scaffolder back to remove the rig. Complete f***ing nightmare tbh not to mention the financial wipeout. Wouldn't be so bad but the rest of the house has a reed thatched roof and we've got all that to maintain as well !
That makes more sense. Hope they did a good job for you

That makes more sense. Hope they did a good job for you

The guy was a perfectionist married into local money with a free house, so the work quality was top notch as he wasn't cutting any corners. Just the usual local problems of reliability of his help (had a builder-by-trade mate doing all the cutting and re-setting ridge tiles). You can never just get a job started and finished with local people without unscheduled absenteeism, family dramas, weddings, stag do's, holidays etc etc stuffing up any work schedule. Not to mention materials deliveries which never happen on time in the sticks.

There's never any substitute labour available in August or September (roofer tried and failed with all his local contacts). It's the same story here with any job, the only thing which ever started and finished on time in 16 years was when we had expert flooring contractors come down from near London and install hard tiled flooring in the whole of the downstairs of the house. They were in and out in 2 1/2 days and did a perfect job. Employing locals that would probably have been dragged out into a 2 week ordeal. One local resident tried bringing in Poles to re-do some steps (Conservation Area) and despite them doing a straight replacement amazing job they had the Council Planning Office show up and order them to be dismantled. Locals wound up getting the work to put them back after paperwork enabling the very same thing was applied for and issued. Can guarantee they wouldn't have done that if locals had been employed on Day 1 (blind eyes turned to illegal double glazing in listed properties and all sorts). I could really go on but 'nuff said as way off topic now !!!

guess what? the sun's back. it's pretty chilly right now after all the rain and it won't get really hot today, but...

from tomorrow onwards and until halloween, forecast currently looks AMAZING. am talking beach weather and temps during the day - yay!!

ddi's weatherman, Miguel Pez, says that the storm damage was caused not by a tornado, but a downburst as the trees uprooted or broken all fell in the same direction. a tornado would scatter them everywhere as it whirled round. if he's read this thread he'd also probably mention to our spotlight weatherman that it is currently pissing it down!

Back