What the heck is a lookie lookie?

You're so lucky you never met them,
They're every where (specially San Antonio). Selling fake sunglasses, watches and other mess. But there goal is to sell you bad drugs!!

history of the lookie lookies

they originally arrived here in spain about 20 years ago selling african artefacts, carvings of giraffe's, that kind of thing. however as most people travelled by plane some of these objects didn't sell very well so, keen on exploiting new markets, our african friends began selling fake goods, sunglasses watches etc. on the mainland in the big cities, they sell fake designer sports gear laid out on street corners at night. in ibiza a new market reared its ugly head with the arrival of clubbers and so called recreational drugs and the lookies moved into a new area by selling 'stuff' to young people.

i believe that lookie persistance in trying to do a deal can be annoying, however i would say that for most 'normal' people lookies are not a problem. not a single one of them has offered me anything for at least 15 years.

"not a single one of them has offered me anything for at least 15 years."

Not even the Fat women with those bracelets???

I have never been bothered by one! - however that might be because I have spent approximately 10 minutes in San antonio! :)

has no one ever met a nice lookie lookie? just curious? i managed to get a nice fake bag from one of them, as I had a littel sea-drunk-after-clubbing accident with my real bag after Cream this year.....
So i purchased a nice copy for 20 Euros, he wanted 50 - I said funk off and got it for a fair price....threw it out when I got home, tho....

Ibiza-girlie said:
has no one ever met a nice lookie lookie?

Considering most people only meet a 'lookie lookie' for less than 5 mins. i don't think anyone can say wether there nice or not.

Unless.

You make friends with him/her.

Only then can you judge someone.

OK, LET ME REPHRASE THE QUESTION:

Most of them want to sell drugs or crap, but have any of them not tried and con´you and actually acted friendly and not creepy or aggressive?

i do know quite a few of them who have been coming here for years and they are perfectly respectable human beings doing their best to earn a living to support their families back in senegal. there are some however who operate on the fringes of normality, the newer, drug dealing lookies.

Many of them go walking along the beaches and beach bars with boards full of trinkets.

Don't buy their sunglasses or the sun will burn your eyes. Their Casio watches used to be ruined soon. :rolleyes: Sometimes they have interesting things though.

stephen said:
the newer, drug dealing lookies.

Maybe these ones should be re-named Hookie-Lookies, then we'll know the difference. ;) :p

This year, I was walking to Strikers, just about to go in and a lookie lookie man has grabbed my arm so hard and swung me around.

"Puff, Pills?"

I just said no, and tugged my arm off of him so hard, christ if you want to do buisness with somebody, you don't physically hurt them! They get annoying, but I hear its not as bad now as it has been in previous years.

Here's a photo.

lookieOut.jpg

Ibiza-girlie said:
has no one ever met a nice lookie lookie? just curious? i managed to get a nice fake bag from one of them, as I had a littel sea-drunk-after-clubbing accident with my real bag after Cream this year.....
So i purchased a nice copy for 20 Euros, he wanted 50 - I said funk off and got it for a fair price....threw it out when I got home, tho....

I got one to sit down with my mate and have his photo taken, he's a dead ringer for Gus from Eastenders, or even Bernie Mac.

i hate the way that we as a society, generalise these people, and refer to these human beings as 'them', and 'they'.

In all honesty lookie lookie's are crooks. They want to make a living, which is better than slumming off their state i guess, but in doing it they come across to me as shady characters who i'd rather keep away from while on holiday! The ones who sell fake goods i kinda respond to more than the ones selling drugs! the lookie lookies selling drugs i couldnt trust and would rather get stuff from British out there who i feel i could trust a bit more as to what they are selling me!

stephen said:
i do know quite a few of them who have been coming here for years and they are perfectly respectable human beings doing their best to earn a living to support their families back in senegal. there are some however who operate on the fringes of normality, the newer, drug dealing lookies.

I've noticed if you treat them with some common decency and manners that most of them are just normal lads trying to make a few quid, they are just so used to dealing with pig ignorant yobs around the west end and they probably sterotype all of us as the same ignorant yobs who are there to be hassled and harrassed

Back