What do DJ's earn?

Are nights that much more expensive, though? I know within the Trance scene, I've always paid around the £12 mark for a ticket. Obviously some nights are more expensive. Some less so. But that entrance fee doesn't buy you the cream of the crop anymore like it would of done a decade ago. Although the mid tier DJs (and above) have pushed their prices up and up, it's hard for club nights to push them too far, as after awhile the punters just wont pay it.

I see what you are saying, but that is just economics surely? Things have gone up over a ten year period.....eg if i spent £100 on a pair of jeans 10 years ago that got me the best brand (imo) jeans available, but now it wouldn't.

I do agree with you on there being a limit of what punters are prepared to pay regardless of line up..

I think the difference is that sasha/digw etc came from the roots, they had some empathy with the crowds. People were devoted to those nights and still talk about them to this day. Punters didn't think about the money because they were having transcendental moments. Whereas now, whose heart is REALLY in it? It's all just a cheesy rehash + with inferior music/attitudes. The hopeless americans are lapping it up because they just don't get it

I think the difference is that sasha/digw etc came from the roots, they had some empathy with the crowds. People were devoted to those nights and still talk about them to this day. Punters didn't think about the money because they were having transcendental moments. Whereas now, whose heart is REALLY in it? It's all just a cheesy rehash + with inferior music/attitudes. The hopeless americans are lapping it up because they just don't get it
that is true, sort of. The big DJ's now (both from a decent music and the awful EDM perspective) can't have come 'from the roots' simply because they were either little kids or not even born when the 'scene' started.

You are right, Sasha and John (and others) have been there from the start and were 'on the floor' at the start so the people of a similar age will always have an affinity with them. But i dont think you can say that the kids now don't get it or enjoy it as much as people did in the past. These kids will argue all day that Tiesto/Calvin Harris/whoever plays better music than Sasha or John or Coxy or Hawtin or Maceo Plex do.

Its like One Direction fans now and Beatles fans back in the day. Both devoted. But you and i know whos music is better. But the kids today wouldnt have that in the slightest

These kids will argue all day that Tiesto/Calvin Harris/whoever plays better music than Sasha or John or Coxy or Hawtin or Maceo Plex do.

True. However, music tastes change over time. A % of these kids will move on from EDM and get into better music.

Will be very interesting how we view Calvin-type EDM in 10-20 years. My problem with it is that it claims to be dance music. Calvin produces amazing POP music!

Obv it's all subjective and i'm not going to preach at anyone. But having seen it all from the esrly 90s, the difference then was that there were always new microscenes coming along be it jungle, tech house, filter disco whatever which people felt inspired to get into and passionate about and now there's nothing new AT ALL. Punters just want pix for their instagrams. And the ridiculous elements now all feel like an elaborate chris morris or spinal tap satire - except the only ones laughing are the djs & their accountants

Early to mid nineties when I found myself being drawn into the dance scene, most of the top jocks at the time were earning anything from £1000 - £2000 per 2 hour set. There would have been exceptions maybe, say if Junior Vasquez came to town or it was double time on NYE.

Dj's did not think they were anything special, in fact most were embarrassed by the fame they had encountered from having a good ear for music. Some would even carry their own record boxes !!! Even Oakie Cokie, when at the top of the Saturday night Cream summit only managed to secure a £200k two year deal, but he had to travel down most weekends from that London.

It was headline news when Healy was asking for £10k for a NYE set but that is peanuts to what is being laid out now. Whether or not a night was good was word of mouth between fellow clubbers and that filled the nights. The promoters stumped up their own cash and the best won, many have had their heyday now and done very nicely out of it.

Now clubbing has become some sort of "must do" for the 18 - 25 year olds. They are brainwashed by the media into thinking that The Tiesto House Mafia are the best thing since the Beatles. I call it clubbing, but most of these big earning nights are in stadiums or mass venues, the high earners taking what they can at that time. Can you blame them? Probably not, but they have sold out in my opinion. They will play music that they probably don't even like themselves. I would suggest that most are thinking about some sort of retirement fund?

So the only answer is to vote with your feet and wallet. I am more than likely never going to Creamfields for example even though its a 10 minute drive from my house. I am more inclined to listen to lesser known DJs in low profile clubs in the UK. Ibiza, slightly different but staying away from so called "big" names who think that they are Rod Stewart.

If you don't like it, don't do it.

you talk a lot of sense mate

I usually have better nights at small clubs with an unknown DJ than at huge clubs with superstar DJ's.

Reactions: ric
Come on eh! Give us a ball park figure haha

I heard £100K for the full weekend. Unfortunately I have no evidence to substantiate that claim. Just chatting to a randomer on the Electric smoking terrace.

years ago i frequented a record shop in Glasgow connected with Soma records
was told that Todd Terry had played the Arches in Glasgow
£10k for the gig - flights, transport and 5* hotel also included

and that was yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears ago

:eek:

reasonably cheap for him back when he was first coming over here!!

He is still around the same price

Guaranteed Armin will be getting more buck at Ushuaia than at privilege! Didn't he say something about sacrificing money last year?

Back