From information I have gathered, here are a few DJ earnings:

Solomon at Pacha last year £50k a night

David Guetta at Pacha £125k a night

Pete Tong at Eden a couple of years back £50k a night

Carl Cox £30k

Richie Hawtin £30k

Sven Vath £30k

Calvin Harris £8k

Morillo £20k (not sure if he would still command that?)

Luciano £10k

Thoughts or can someone with more knowledge confirm as bull shit?

calvin harris is earning much more than that.

also, heavily depending if we're talking europe DJ fees or USA - they're through the roof on that side of the atlantic.

A lot of premium grade chisel more like... My prediction is that the whole industry is about to eat itself. We've been here before. The white, straight backlash against disco in 79-80 was savage and the commercial backlash against the superclubs in late 90s fuelled a prolonged industry recession. I think we're heading for similar rocks, as soon as people realise that these talentless djs are taking people for fools. Even oakenfold, the original architect of the edm monster could not believe how much the hilton creature was earning. Go figure...

DJ's earn far too much in general, well the bigger names do anyway. Chatted to a few DJ's and agents over the past few years while putting nights on and some of them are asking for silly money. Obviously it would be morally wrong of me to write DJ fees on a public forum, but they have made me laugh. Plus it's not just the fee itself, it's usually FEE + VAT + TRAVEL + HOTEL, it soon builds up, then some want even more, like meals before the gig etc.

David Guetta at Pacha £125k a night

Thats a lot of 12 euro San Mig's !

Around 12,600 san miguels in fact! You could also buy nearly buy an average semi-detached house in the North of England for that, or a spacious 2 bedroom apartment n San Antonio close to the sea

I have been told that Guetta also asks for a private jet to the club, well nearest airport anyway. I'm not sure how true that is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Around 12,600 san miguels in fact! You could also buy nearly buy an average semi-detached house in the North of England for that, or a spacious 2 bedroom apartment n San Antonio close to the sea

Glad you worked that out!

3000 capacity (?o_O)

3 or 4 drinks per punter maybe?

+ the door tax?

How much does the club make then?

You have missed the point, either that or Im not down with the kids:lol:

I mean they have to sell a lot of drinks or door tax before they break even.

That's why there are so many VIP tables at crazy cover charge and even crazier minimum spend. They are needed to cover the "overheads" and subsidize the night. The club probably makes its slice off the regular punters having had the night propped up by the table service crowd.

Of course if there weren't so many high-rolling posers stumping up premium tabs, the DJs wouldn't be able to command fees like that in the 1st place. Stepping back from it all, of course, the DJs are no way worth that spend and they could never command it without the prestige venues of the superclubs pulling in those revenues. So they are entirely dependent on each other when matched.

If the VIPs went, the headliners would either have to drop their fees or go elsewhere (likely the latter to places like Vegas and Miami). Question then remains, would the superclubs be able to get their same net cut from enough regular punters if they slashed their entry fees, hired cheaper DJs and cut their drinks prices. Well, if the headliner is costing enough then quite possibly yes IMHO. But without so much certainty of a 'full house'.

And I reckon that's what has locked in the status quo. It's simple risk-reward really. The clubs are scared to break away from the trend because they reckon "names sell". And they are right in that ! However some hedge their bets with a mix of big name nights and more low key ones - and that's also a sensible thing to do, especially if a market is on the point of over-supply. Entry fees are lower but on the whole drinks prices are not and this is basically the underlying source of profit for the club rather than the top billed headliners. They are cashing in on their name. Which is just business.

Reactions: ric
That's why there are so many VIP tables at crazy cover charge and even crazier minimum spend. They are needed to cover the "overheads" and subsidize the night. The club probably makes its slice off the regular punters having had the night propped up by the table service crowd.

Of course if there weren't so many high-rolling posers stumping up premium tabs, the DJs wouldn't be able to command fees like that in the 1st place. Stepping back from it all, of course, the DJs are no way worth that spend and they could never command it without the prestige venues of the superclubs pulling in those revenues. So they are entirely dependent on each other when matched.

If the VIPs went, the headliners would either have to drop their fees or go elsewhere (likely the latter to places like Vegas and Miami). Question then remains, would the superclubs be able to get their same net cut from enough regular punters if they slashed their entry fees, hired cheaper DJs and cut their drinks prices. Well, if the headliner is costing enough then quite possibly yes IMHO. But without so much certainty of a 'full house'.

And I reckon that's what has locked in the status quo. It's simple risk-reward really. The clubs are scared to break away from the trend because they reckon "names sell". And they are right in that ! However some hedge their bets with a mix of big name nights and more low key ones - and that's also a sensible thing to do, especially if a market is on the point of over-supply. Entry fees are lower but on the whole drinks prices are not and this is basically the underlying source of profit for the club rather than the top billed headliners. They are cashing in on their name. Which is just business.

People who go to clubs to be these so called V.I.P's are generally arseholes. ;)

Back