What dance songs ere from your childhood and teenage years?

lfc63amg

Just wanted to see what everyone used to listen to in there childhood years and teenage years for me it was cafe deal mar (found it on older brothers iPod) and lock n load - blow your mind

Acid house, 808 State, Belgian New Beat, New Order, Stone Roses, The Woodentops, Paris Angels.

Instinctive answer to an unclear question, but brought some great memories to the fore

ok, answering the question slightly more seriously this time.....

I started with the beatles, then jacko, madness, 80s chart pop, then acid house 88/89 was a game-changer, some acid jazz early 90s, then rave/hardcore/prog/trance for a bit, loved KLF, Orb, Underworld, Leftfield, Shamen all that then Daft Punk was another game changer mid 90s getting me into the French 'touch' scene, then in early 2000s got into electro, the whole DFA/Norwegian/Metro Area thing and serious house/techno and also at the same time the whole chill/balearic revival through DJ History/disco parties and never really looked back - currently listen to loads of old stuff I missed because I was too narrow minded at the time. hippy rock, kraut, synth, ambient, John Carpenter film scores you name it. I'll never be done with dance music but been a long time since anything blew my mind.

ok, answering the question slightly more seriously this time.....

I started with the beatles, then jacko, madness, 80s chart pop, then acid house 88/89 was a game-changer, some acid jazz early 90s, then rave/hardcore/prog/trance for a bit, loved KLF, Orb, Underworld, Leftfield, Shamen all that then Daft Punk was another game changer mid 90s getting me into the French 'touch' scene, then in early 2000s got into electro, the whole DFA/Norwegian/Metro Area thing and serious house/techno and also at the same time the whole chill/balearic revival through DJ History/disco parties and never really looked back - currently listen to loads of old stuff I missed because I was too narrow minded at the time. hippy rock, kraut, synth, ambient, John Carpenter film scores you name it. I'll never be done with dance music but been a long time since anything blew my mind.

Acid Jazz! Galliano!

First "dance" album I bought was Music for the Jilted Generation. I would have been 10 or 11 and bought it off the back of seeing the video for (No Good) Start the Dance on MTV as I remember. My Mum nearly didn't let me buy it at the time because she didn't like the cover.

Before that it was R.E.M, Bon Jovi, general chart stuff....think I must have been an Ace of Base fan as well as I also have that album tucked away somewhere. After the Prodigy I kind of kept a balance between all the indie stuff and dipping my toe into a few Ministry of Sound compilations. At 16 I got my first set of turntables and then all my money was spent in the local record shop and that was where I really got into house music/progressive house.

Bullet points in random order -

I was influenced by quite a bit of electronic synth type music in the early 80's, I was a bit too young for Disco but love it now.I always liked the extended mixes of tracks that you would hear every now and then.

My first ever album (tape) was Rio - Duran Duran

I was brought up by my Mum (only) and she had terrible taste in music. Think Richard, Manilow, Mathis..... so Ive no idea where my taste came from?

Listening to the radio for music was the main source, sometimes Top Of the Pops and in later years, The Tube (Imagine seeing a video UK premier of Chaka Khan - I Feel for you on a Friday evening just before a youth disco!)

I tried the Breakdance thing which led me to listen to a Northern Hip Hop DJ on Piccadilly Radio (now Key 103) called Stu Allen. He was one of the first to air "House Music"

I had the original 12" vinyl of Kraftwerk - Tour De France but had no record player

The first CDs were very expensive and stuck mainly to cassette. My mum had no money and we were on free school dinners so I could hardly pester for her for a record deck.

Lost my way for 3 or 4 years and started liking Phil Collins - wtf? This was counterbalanced by INXS and U2, I saw both in concert. I also liked Simple Minds

The first tune I heard having my first every pint in a pub at 16 was Derek B - Bad Young Brother. The video was on a screen that was about 50 TVS on a wall next to each other to make one large screen.

Michael Jackson - Thriller was a massive release when it happened and it was played on oversized "Master Blasters" all over public transport. No one said anything.

Late teens used to listen to the guy who did the dance show on R1 on Fri night before they hired Pete Tong. I probably heard the first ever Tong show.

nice post Diver

Just some random thoughts with a brew after work. Some people can recall past events really well, a mate of mine can spin some great yarns about his teenage years but my memory can be really sketchy at times.

was it Jeff Young who did it before Tong?

Yes that was him, didnt have the time to research. I recall the show being quite good, enough for me to tune in every week in any case. Tong was quite influential in those days and when he took over it didnt take long for him to stamp his FFRR mark!
Phil Collins made some great records! nowt to be ashamed of there

Yeah, you're right dude. Was just a bit of a boring stage I was at(c.17 to 20years). Without wearing my heart on my sleeve too much, my Mum had re-married and we had moved house out of the area we lived. It upset my ying and yang somewhat, i met the girl next door and had too grow up a bit quicker than I wanted to. Plus, I had a curfew (including a threat of violence if not adhered to) set by the Tw@t she married and wasn't able to really enter the theatre of clubbing until much later on. Yes, I missed the early 88/89 action with loads of warehouse parties going on in the area. So, I ended up on the Collins type stuff. Not being exposed to "Rave" so young might be one of the reasons I don't need drugs to party.

But during that time, I was often drawn back to the dance or "House" sound which was prevelant throughout most of the bars where I lived. Plus I still listened to R1 on a Friday. I remember having Pet Shop Boys - Disco which was on loop in my birds (now wife) car. Also, I remember having this on cassette -
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Now-Dance-89-The-12-Mixes/release/986585
which really sums up the flavour of where I was at in my late teens.

Peace.

Back