What Are You Listening To Right Now??

I've known Bill and Frank for years. We don't always agree politically but they are fairly consistent in their beliefs. It was obviously awkward for them that all the Saville stuff came out long after they published the book. Also that JS was an important figure in the history who couldn't simply be airbrushed out of the narrative. One thing is rewriting a book and another is choosing not to play someone's music though. Playing a record feels like an endorsement in a way that telling a story isn't, maybe?

That's indeed a big difference. I wouldn't think they'd try to erase him from history (damnatio memoriae) but I could well see them rewriting bits and pieces, putting less focus on the psycho. For example deleting/replacing his picture or following sentence: "So, as unlikely as it seems, for the idea of inviting people to pay to dance to records in a club we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Sir..."

That's indeed a big difference. I wouldn't think they'd try to erase him from history (damnatio memoriae) but I could well see them rewriting bits and pieces, putting less focus on the psycho. For example deleting/replacing his picture or following sentence: "So, as unlikely as it seems, for the idea of inviting people to pay to dance to records in a club we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Sir..."

did you get the most recent edition? they might have edited it. I dunno. I agree though, some of it is a bit inadvertently teeth-clenching

eventually we won't have to worry about whether our heroes are actually villains.. when AI djing takes over and there is no human input at all

did you get the most recent edition? they might have edited it. I dunno. I agree though, some of it is a bit inadvertently teeth-clenching

eventually we won't have to worry about whether our heroes are actually villains.. when AI djing takes over and there is no human input at all
Got the 2006 edition. I guess they did their homework and had it reworked in a professional manner. Will check with a friend who has got a more recent edition.

I would have agreed with you on the AI djing not so long ago. That's indeed the way we'd head to if you're looking at technology, economy and festivity as a non-human activity.
But festivity is first and foremost a social activity, not only with each other as attendants, but also with the master of ceremony.
People may well be fooled by high-end technology setups, they might not even care about who/what is playing, but they will always look for some kind of interaction with a shaman.
Overwhelmingly interesting and confronting cases to be found in African trance rituals which go straight to the core.

Next to that AI theories tend to overrationalize people and movements: "we take what we know and draw a straight line for the coming years, decades, centuries". They seem/tend/like to forget people are constantly looking for interaction and disruption, you may well call it inborn creativity. Dawless music production is a good example of that.

Back