Weekend Reports

I've been to that hotel back about 5 years ago! I think it's close to the Jad Mahal bar?

Do they still do the hookah pipes in the bar downstairs with the Piano?

Love Marrakech, sounds like you had a great time!

Yes. The piano, i think i know what you mean and i think thats the place in the pic, we met the...political editor of the sunday express there. Whooo hoo!

I agree... I went last year and was amazed to see the difference between the rich and poor. You have the Marriots, Sofitels and expensive "traditional" restaurants, then walk round the corner and you have kids living on the street, people with next to nothing to live on.

I hope everyone who goes to these kind of places tries to help the local ecomony as much as possible - i.e dont just stick to the Western hotels or the fancy restaurants with the belly dancers coming in at the end... stay in an authentic Riad, or eat in one of the REAL traditional restaurants away from the tourist areas. A tagine should really cost about £1.50 - not £15 as most tourist restaurants charge :eek:

The amount of silver haired, perma-tanned tour groups I saw being whisked around town in aircon minivans was quite disturbing. They didn't stop long enough to see the grimey side of Morocco!

good post, defo. also hand in hand with this & essential to enjoying a place is to immerse yourself. get hassled but thats the deal. in exchange you get snake charmers, amazing fresh cooked food, interesting people and places etc etc. same for all the developing countries i've been to (which are not like, loads), never felt in any more danger/stress than manchester market st!

Back