Weekend Reports

Had a brrriiiiillliiiant weekend! :D

Made a last minute decision last week to go to the Big Chill. The weather forcast looked sunny, cheap tickets were flying around on Gumtree, and we realised this could be our last chance at a UK festival due to college starting again this week :x
Bought a couple of tickets for £80 each, half the price they should have been 8) and headed over to Herefordshire on Friday morning for the festival.

I'd always though Big Chill would be too..... chilled! I imagined lots of hippies, families, kids running around everywhere etc, and not enough young people having a good time! I couldn't have been more wrong. Yes there are families there, and hippies! If you want to chill out for the entire weekend you can. But if you want to go mad and stay up all night dancing, you can do that too!

I was really impressed with the organisation and layout of the festival. I didn't queue once the whole weekend to get in, the toilet, drinks at the bar etc. The Big Chill holds around 40,000 people, smaller than most of the usual festivals I've been to, and I know now I much prefer festivals of this size.

The site is held in the Malvern Hills, and the festival site is in between two of these hills, with rivers running past it, and trees surrounding it. The campsite is in a similar position, it was a pleasure to camp in such a beautiful spot, much nicer than the usual dusty fields that are providers for campers at other festivals!

I've never been to a festival where you're so spoiled for food choices. Every type of cuisine is on offer here: British, European, Asian, African, Carribean, Vegetarian, Vegan! Compared to other festivals when I've had to survive on chips or greasy burgers, I was in my element here! I don't think I've ever stuffed my face so much at a festival, one day I was eating tasty jerk chicken and rice, the next Indonesian chicken curry. YUMMY!

On the first day, we met our friends, set up camp and cracked open a cold beer 8) Got into the festival site about 4pm and headed straight to the Rizla arena, which is mainly dj's playing house music.
We danced to: Jon Carter, Todd Terje, Friendly Fires (main stage) and a bit of Slam.
Finally, to end the night, we headed back to the main stage to watched the headline act, Basement Jaxx. I'd seen glimpsed of these guys at past festivals, but they always seemed to clash with other acts I wanted to see more, so for once it was nice seeing a whole 2hr set, and dancing alongside 10,000 people! I thought they played a great live set, certainly had me dancing the whole time, and I left the stage with a smile on my face :D

Saturday morning was a tough one, think we'd all gone a bit OTT on our first night and were feeling the pain now! Thankfully a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea (then a beer) seemed to do the trick and we headed back to the festival around 4pm. Once again the sun was shining and we chilled out in the sun watching The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and Lamb on the main stage.
The main act of the night was Orbital - everyone grabbed a decent spot early and waited for them at 11pm. They did not disappoint, they played a great set with a few classics thrown in, and the crowd were going crazy. So much for retirement! The Orbital guys looked like they were having a wicked time.
Next we saw Annie Nightingale rocking the Bison bar (how old is this woman!) She played a fun, if a bit cheesey set, but the crowd were really enjoying it.
After this, we went to dance arena to finish off our night with a bit of Horse Meat Disco.

Sunday morning and the last day of the festival! Another beautiful day - the weather was good to us this weekend! One of the "must-do's" of Big Chill is the Sunday afternoon set with Norman Jay. I've heard him a few times at Notting Hill and he always plays good tunes. Once again he played a real mixed bag with drum and bass, reggae, house and techno thrown in. The main stage was packed and everyone was dancing in the sun having 'Good Times' ;)
We also caught Jazzi B in the Rizla stage, David Byrne, and finally finished off the weekend with Hexstatic on the main stage, which was the perfect end to the festival. Schlomo came on to do a bit of beatboxing and the crowd were loving it.
Back to the tent for the last time! Although by this stage I was glad, my back was killing me :lol:

Great, great weekend at the Big Chill, so glad we decided to go. Roll on next year!

I also had a fantastic time at the Big Chill this year highlights include:

Orbital - nuff said ;)
Greg Wilson on the Sunday night Perfect to finish a festival too
Octave one playing Blackwater in the middle of some awesome techno
Jon Carter in the Rizla Arena it felt like being back on the old Space terrace of 3 hours!
Jazzie B
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
The Saturday night in the Coop, with horse Meat Disco and Metro Area.
David Byrne playing once in a lifetime
Todd Terje
Norman jay playing a great mixed set on Sunday afternoon to get you in the mood fro dancing. No Electro this year either!
James Yuill playing a kinda breatbeak rock crossover thing.
Friendly Fires not really into them before but they played a great set.
Justin Roberson playing acid house to get you in the mood for Orbital.
White Tree playing perfect music to chill out on a sunday afternoon.

The only low point for me was the shocking MC ruining an other wise good One More Tune set from Tom Middleton. He just would not shut up

top stuff folks - gutted. esp missing todd terje, metro area, octave one...

the reviews on http://forum.bigchill.net/ are always good for a laugh too. One of the girls I was with last year met some dude but never exchanged numbers and spent 3 hopeless weeks on there trying to track him down! :lol:

Spent last week just outside Paris, so chilled Friday!
Saturday had some mates staying, they were keen to crack on!
Belting night at Ministry for Toolroom, MK was hot & Jocquim Gerrard really impressed! Played keys live while DJing!
Sunday, very much in recovery!

Back