Weekend Plans

Survived the Spartan. First Obstacle Course Race in the bag. Worth doing there's a lot crammed in and you don't just get to opt out if you don't fancy bits of it ! Rain stayed off, I stayed on the monkey bars (and ring rig - just, first time on one of those haha). Penalized for a couple of slips (what's 60 burpees anyway ?) but all in all happy enough to nail the rest. Very glad I got some general practice last weekend it paid off. Giving out free beer at the end seems to be a tradition with these things - sure you've paid handsomely for it in your entry fee :lol: Super-chunky medals - pretty hard earned to be honest but I've had what felt like tougher bootcamps of a weekday evening so not overly flattened !

Got home in one piece with minimal marks & scrapes. Booked Ibiza for Tuesday. Bring it on :twisted:

20190623_172029[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

How did it go ?
Cheeky trip over dude?

Survived the Spartan. First Obstacle Course Race in the bag. Worth doing there's a lot crammed in and you don't just get to opt out if you don't fancy bits of it ! Rain stayed off, I stayed on the monkey bars (and ring rig - just, first time on one of those haha). Penalized for a couple of slips (what's 60 burpees anyway ?) but all in all happy enough to nail the rest. Very glad I got some general practice last weekend it paid off. Giving out free beer at the end seems to be a tradition with these things - sure you've paid handsomely for it in your entry fee :lol: Super-chunky medals - pretty hard earned to be honest but I've had what felt like tougher bootcamps of a weekday evening so not overly flattened !

Got home in one piece with minimal marks & scrapes. Booked Ibiza for Tuesday. Bring it on :twisted:

20190623_172029[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

How did it go ?

Hellish, they changed the start time to 10am which in the middle of summer is asking for trouble if you ask me with the heat! It was way too humid for the first 7 miles or so on the way out to Mumbles, then on the way back there was a nasty headwind all the way, which was welcomed but by the end left me feeling like my head was in a vice. My legs did well until about 12 miles where they finally went “I don’t really know what we’re doing to move anymore” and were like jelly - but aside from slightly achy knees I appear to be in one piece which is the main thing :)

I consider myself very lucky, there was a death at the event yesterday - not sure of details yet but it puts everything in to perspective :(

Hellish, they changed the start time to 10am which in the middle of summer is asking for trouble if you ask me with the heat! It was way too humid for the first 7 miles or so on the way out to Mumbles, then on the way back there was a nasty headwind all the way, which was welcomed but by the end left me feeling like my head was in a vice. My legs did well until about 12 miles where they finally went “I don’t really know what we’re doing to move anymore” and were like jelly - but aside from slightly achy knees I appear to be in one piece which is the main thing :)

I consider myself very lucky, there was a death at the event yesterday - not sure of details yet but it puts everything in to perspective :(

Conditions weren't great yesterday was so humid ahead of the rain front. At least you only hit the wall a mile before the end can push through that OK ? Sorry there was a fatal collapse how sad, guess with 5000 people some of whom maybe never tried anything like that before it's enough that there's always a risk of this. Seems he'd been running for 3h20 at that point so perhaps really wasn't ready to do it ?

It was really muggy on Sunday morning - our phase started 1050 and trudging up and down steep enclosed airless valley slopes carrying 40lb sandbags was definitely a struggle, think a dry day in early Spring is probably the best time to do any of these events ! Just have to look back and see it as good conditioning, plus if you get nicer conditions you appreciate them all the more :D

Cheeky trip over dude?

:twisted: .. getting in before the kids break up time's marching on too fast !

Conditions weren't great yesterday was so humid ahead of the rain front. At least you only hit the wall a mile before the end can push through that OK ? Sorry there was a fatal collapse how sad, guess with 5000 people some of whom maybe never tried anything like that before it's enough that there's always a risk of this. Seems he'd been running for 3h20 at that point so perhaps really wasn't ready to do it ?

It was really muggy on Sunday morning - our phase started 1050 and trudging up and down steep enclosed airless valley slopes carrying 40lb sandbags was definitely a struggle, think a dry day in early Spring is probably the best time to do any of these events ! Just have to look back and see it as good conditioning, plus if you get nicer conditions you appreciate them all the more :D

:twisted: .. getting in before the kids break up time's marching on too fast !

Maybe - although sometimes there’s underlying conditions people don’t know about, I guess we’ll find out in time. It’s sad though regardless.

Indeed - I would rather run these things in the middle of winter to be honest! Last year’s was a struggle in the heat but at least the sun was out and you could appreciate the scenery a bit :)

Enjoy Ibiza ? looking forward to my trip in a couple of weeks!

My friend’s “local” hen do on Saturday, so we’re out for lunch and cocktail making apparently (I’m more interested in the drinking them bit!)

I've been to Clacton on Sea with my folks 40+ years ago ? they honeymooned there and brought me and my sister back as soon as possible.. they loved it . What's it like now?

Back