Warning for people booking this year

I was always a keen advocate of this method until our trip last year. The exchange rate was average and a min 2% fee plus a withdrawl fee on all withdrawls. Making it worse is the fact max daily limit abroad is now £250. The fees I paid last year for my withdrawls was crazy.

Personally I would rather take my chance with the island bandits than the thieving financial giants. Took cash on a recent trip, and carried most in my wallet, prob makes a difference when not out in clubs and being sober for the whole week that loss of wallet was not an option!

Have a word with your bank. I have lived outside the USA most have my working life. I talk to my bank and they refund the bank withdraw fees. If not shop for a bank with better treatment.

It's 2011, ffs. The most sensible thing is not to travel with cash, period!

Take 2 cards (debit, credit, either way). Keep one on you and one hidden in the room. Withdraw cash as needed and pay by card at shops, restaurants, etc.

I took cash and cards last year, withdrawing money from a machine can get expensive with charges. Still better than having all your money robbed though. (we found the exchange rate at the cash machines to be better than the usual change places)

it was broke i think for an extra 12 days after we left aswell

opther than that nice hotel

lol, how on earth would you know how long it was broken for after you left?!?!?

I was always a keen advocate of this method until our trip last year. The exchange rate was average and a min 2% fee plus a withdrawl fee on all withdrawls. Making it worse is the fact max daily limit abroad is now £250. The fees I paid last year for my withdrawls was crazy.

Personally I would rather take my chance with the island bandits than the thieving financial giants. Took cash on a recent trip, and carried most in my wallet, prob makes a difference when not out in clubs and being sober for the whole week that loss of wallet was not an option!

I get travel insurance through my bank - a little more expensive - about £5 per person extra but i get to use my cards for free abroad - so worth it in my book - worth looking into .....

I get travel insurance through my bank - a little more expensive - about £5 per person extra but i get to use my cards for free abroad - so worth it in my book - worth looking into .....

This is interesting, which bank?

Stayed in Piscis Park last year, booked up then read the reviews, after reading them was very worried, we followed various instructions given by different people, ie: get bothe room keys, don't leave your keys at reception (i thought this was a no brainer though) ask for the safe key etc, all seemed fine, we did get a couple of funny looks from the two memebers of staff sitting there, each sharing looks that seemed to say 'they know'.

I took cash only i put most of it in a sunglasses case/bag thing, which went in the bottom of my backpack, covered by a couple of hoodies, the bag was then locked with a 3 digit combination lock and placed inside my suitcase, which had a strong padlock on, and that was put under the bed.....no one was touching my stuff, we placed various things like phone chargers etc in the safe and even left a few euro notes lying around to test the staff etc, nothing was touched, but i was glad i read the reviews as i wouldn't have gone to all that trouble, the room wasn't great and the hotel was pretty run down, but for a bed and a shower, it was fine, too many chavs at the pool, but we just went else where, aircon wasn't working, so if it hadn't been the last week in september we might have suffered a lot, but it was ok.

Guys - If you really think that GPS arent that bad and that everything will be ok then go ahead.

I must admit ive stayed in GPS places before ive even stayed in the Catalina before but last year it was run down dirty disgusting and obviously financial problems / funding problems elswhere.

Its easy for people to have € cash around, the girls next door who where robbed had like €300 Cash each and there where 4 of them. Easily done becuase € 300 Is not a great amount per person.

I just didnt want other people to get stung like i did hence the reason for the post, i will never ever stay in a GPS hotel ever again and i will double check its not GPS before i book. There where also 4 of us staying in the room ( we had booked 4) and there were only 3 beds.

My Advice dont book GPS but hey each to there own and im sure most people wont listen to my advice and im sure there will be people in the same postion as me last year.

On a lighter note id go as far as saying me n the gf were actually impressed by the Tivoli apartments in pdb considering what we paid but everyone has their own experience

Back