Warning for people booking this year

I stayed at a GPS hotel in 2009 without any problems. I picked the hotel for it's location Algarb PDB. It was a fiesta hotel. The hotel service did decline a bit, but the room was clean and I could sleep after a night out. I don't need much from a hotel. That being said I switched back to the fiesta group after that trip. Sorry to hear about your trouble Fronty I think it is good warn other of tourist traps. I would keep going with your complaint as long as it took or until you met a real dead end.

Moral of the story always check trip advisor before you make your buying decision.

i used to do this, but unless it is a total dump, i find the reviews are so varied as to be useless.

some like, some don't, some happy, some not. literally all relative to what people expect and are used to and what standards they have.

i used to do this, but unless it is a total dump, i find the reviews are so varied as to be useless.

some like, some don't, some happy, some not. literally all relative to what people expect and are used to and what standards they have.

I agree if you just need a place to crash versus a place to live out of it makes all the difference.

like all reviews, they're useless if you don't give a reason.

ie the food was sh1t. (oh no i'm outta here)

ie the food was sh1t because it was all spanish with garlic and olive oil and not a single british sausage in site ( yes please, i'm booked)

and so on.

i actually love reading hotel reviews, they are so entertaining.

tks for warning fronty. i have edited the op to keep it less libelous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

Spotlight have never worked with GPS inspite of repeated requests to be included in our site.

Scaredy cat (joking)!

What is the overall situation with gps this season? The group still 'own' quite a slice of the accomodation market, or do they?

I am surprised spotlight have never dabbled in any kind of ownership of properties/ bars/ whatever. You must be miles ahead of any other site on google rankings on anything to do with Ibiza?

isn't tripadviser notorious for hotels bigging themselves up and trashing their rivals under the guise of 'reviews'?

Booked a GPS hotel for August, the Riviera Hotel. But have to say, this is my first time to Ibiza and this thread has worried me!

One huge piece of advise to anybody thinking of holidaying in Ibiza

:idea: "LOOK BEFORE YOU BOOK" :idea:

works well for other destinations also

Last edited by a moderator:
ive stayed in their hotels / apartments 4 times including the last 2 years running (ive just looked at what they own) and ive never seen or heard a spot of bother from them. Never expect anything more than a bed in a room, but that's to be expected for the price.

People just need to be sensible, if your taking 1000's € with you, then take them in travellers checks that can be replaced easily, its a ball ache but it is a safer way to take money.

Apart from money and passport which cant be helped, i don't take anything on holiday i would be devastated if i lost.

If someone has been into these hotels then its good to be aware it has happened in the past, but i wouldn't start panicking im going to get gassed and robbed when i sleep cause i doubt that even happened, (i never believe a random story that started 'a guy told me')

these hotels carry 1000's of people every season, your probably more likely to get hit by a moped!

isn't tripadviser notorious for hotels bigging themselves up and trashing their rivals under the guise of 'reviews'?

no idea but i imagine it's possible. our spotlight reviews can only be activated by our own clients who receive an email when they return inviting them to do a review.

One huge piece of advise to anybody thinking of holidaying in Ibiza

:idea: "LOOK BEFORE YOU BOOK" :idea:

works well for other destinations also

i find it incredible how many people book a place knowing absolutely nothing about it and then moan when they're there that it doesn't have what they wanted.

People just need to be sensible, if your taking 1000's € with you, then take them in travellers checks that can be replaced easily, its a ball ache but it is a safer way to take money.
It's 2011, ffs. The most sensible thing is not to travel with cash, period!

Take 2 cards (debit, credit, either way). Keep one on you and one hidden in the room. Withdraw cash as needed and pay by card at shops, restaurants, etc.

It's 2011, ffs. The most sensible thing is not to travel with cash, period!

Take 2 cards (debit, credit, either way). Keep one on you and one hidden in the room. Withdraw cash as needed and pay by card at shops, restaurants, etc.

I agree carry enough cash to get you buy. I use cards when I travel for the most part and get out a few hundred euro for trips to the bar and a taxi home

I agree carry enough cash to get you buy. I use cards when I travel for the most part and get out a few hundred euro for trips to the bar and a taxi home

I was always a keen advocate of this method until our trip last year. The exchange rate was average and a min 2% fee plus a withdrawl fee on all withdrawls. Making it worse is the fact max daily limit abroad is now £250. The fees I paid last year for my withdrawls was crazy.

Personally I would rather take my chance with the island bandits than the thieving financial giants. Took cash on a recent trip, and carried most in my wallet, prob makes a difference when not out in clubs and being sober for the whole week that loss of wallet was not an option!

Back