War Concerns

What a topic I started... First of all Ibiza here I come...

I mentioned it cuz, well its a scarry thing happening right now world wide, Now it seem like most people are against what the U.S is doing or believing. Now its not all about oil, Oil has very little do to with it, its more about saddamn haboring terriots, help supplying Bin laden, which we get many clues leading to another attack on U.S soil. How scarry is that. Knowing someone in the world, who you can't find is planning biochemical bomb or something to attack innocent people, whether its a apartment building, hostpial, business building or whatnot. Also now we got Saddamn, who may or maynot have nuclear weapons and who is crazy enought to use them... We are not trying to take over the world, just security peace, especially on our homeland, which has been threaten and attacked. If someone threaten their livelyhood, their dreams, their right to live, right to exist, you too would defend your home, your families, your loved ones. And to say Bush is doing this only for money, oil and to gain votes, bottom line is Bush ain't doing it for those reasons.
Lot of scarry things are happening and in the time of crisis, war may not always be the best solution, but sometimes it happens...

Hey, I definately don't want war, but Sadaam no doubt is insane. As far as America or Bush trying to "Police the World" I really think that is in a way true. However, tell me what country is going to step up and do that other then us? I don't think many. It seems like we always step up and then get slapped in the face. I just wish my country "America" would stop helping other countries and getting involved in other countries business sometimes, cause it always seems that it comes back to bite us in the arse no matter what. Unfair I think! I wish that people would remember all of the countries that the USA has helped out over the years (ie:thousands of American troops gave their lives on the beaches of Normandy to free the French of Nazi rule, lots of countries that we have rebuilt after many years of war etc....) But it seems like they acknowledge those things for a little while and then eventually forget about it and turn on us again. I just am really upset about that! But just my opinion though! All in all I wish that we all could live peacefully, but as long as there is religion and other conflicting factors in the world I doubt that will ever happen. Sad really! All I know is that I am going to love everyone and be kind, happy and live my life the way life should be lived. One non stop party! Hee! Hee! :D

Just saw a documentary on the 1st Gulf War with the supposed power of the anti-scud missile's the US was using. Well it appears American propoganda of the accuracy and the value of these anti-scud missiles were grossly misrepresented. Supposedly none of the anti-scuds hit anything because Iraq's scuds were breaking apart in the air and the anti-scud missile's being used were made to follow one specific object. Why I'm telling you this is because it appears that wars and media can make anyone believe anything... look between the lines for proof as it appears propoganda and war make good bedfellows.

My own view is this:
I think Saddaam is crazy but who gave the US the right to decide to go in and attack someone under the assumption they are going to do something. Boy the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" which is the mantra of the US justice system seems to only apply to situations, people and countries the US favours...oh and I guess if you have an abundance of oil and you daddy didn't get the job done the first time around the act of war becomes the more justifiable...

i saw a programme back here in the UK where the PM Tony Blair was taking questions from the general public and one of the questions was somet like if we attack iraq cos of the threat of danger, their use of weapons of mass destruction, shouldn't we attack the USA....

and as far as the world war goes America did not want to be involoved in the second world war, but they got involved because of a little incident with japan at pearl harbour....

I live here in Austin, TX and I go to the same school that one of President Bush's daughters attends. Yesterday over 2,000 students, myself included, walked out of class and protested going to war. I know that most, if not all, other countries hate America, and I just want you guys to know that we do not all agree with what Bush is trying to do and we are trying to do something about it. Over the weekend, however, all the newstations here have been telling everyone to stock up on food and water, and to buy plastic sheeting and duct tape, "just in case." I don't know about you guys, but I think that's pretty scary. I don't know if they are trying to scare us into thinking that going to war is a good thing, or if the threat is real, but either way, it's hard to know what to think anymore.

I am definitely no expert when it comes to politics, but I do know that America has made plenty of mistakes when it comes to foreign policy in the past, and I just wish that there was more I could do about it. I think I am a good person, and the last thing I want is for someone to hate me because I am American.

I am not about to rush out to the store to buy plastic sheeting or duct tape, and I am definitely not cancelling my trip to Ibiza this summer. I refuse to live my life in fear of what might happen. I wish that everyone in the world were more like all of us; it seems like things would just be a lot better that way. :)

theres a lot of different views on this and out of all the recent conflicts this has definately got the most media coverage. But this argument about bush and the united states initiating this conflict over economic reasons is very fickle. You could also say that china, russia, germany and france are also trying to stop conflict for economic reasons.
Nearly every1 I have met in club-land has the same idealistic views that the world should be a better place and theres no need for war. I'm one of these clubbers who agrees with this.....
but :confused:
It is a known fact, by the iraq's, the middle east and the whole world in general, that saddam is an evil man and he is causing so much pain and strife in his own country and his own people. I do believe that george bush is a tit, and i do believe that this aggressive, 'he tried to kill my daddy' approach is totally the wrong direction. But!! There is a very serious threat in iraq, and it is a proven fact that the inspectors are not dealing with the problems (thats fm the only man i really trust in this bollox, old hans!!)
the main thing im concerned with in this war, which is going to happen like it or not...is that the backlash of this could be an influx of terrorist attacks. No-one wants another sep 11
jesus this has been depressing!!!
will someone please cheer me up, I know if your fed up with the war...check out my poll im doing above! :)

I do agree with all of you that war is not the answer. I also agree that something must be done with Sadaam, not only for the sake of the threat that he may pose to my country, but because of the threat he poses to his own country and the rest of the world. I am a peaceful person, quite liberal really and all I want is for everyone to care about each other and the world. But there is sooooo much greed and hate in this world that I know that it will be hard to accomplish. I just want all of you to know that sure not all of us agree with Bush, but I respect all of your opinions and that not all of America is for war. On a brighter note I honestly can say that if true, honest, opinionated, intelligent, caring, happy people like us stick together that maybe someday there will be peace. Let's hope so! Love one another! :D

No one's telling he/she hates America and the Americans. I do like Americans, well... don't like those ones who stick their chest out at the sight of the american flag and show their patriotic pride to the world, it's pathetic, but in general, I think America is a lovely country. I do have some American friends here in Spain, and they all hate Bush. It's way exemplary to see most Hollywood stars crying out against war. That's an example that the US are full of peaceful and good people.

What people in general is against to is Bush's politics and his attitude, and I believe he's manipulating the citizens of America. There's no clear evidence of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons in Irak. That's what media are telling here. The inspectors haven't found anything suspicious yet. At least let them finish their job. And there are two organizations (NATO and UNO) which the US government is completely ignoring. It's been proved (I read it on the newspaper) that they changed historical info arbitrarily for their own interests.

If I were American I would have voted Gore, for sure! ;) I even liked Clinton. He wasn't arrogant.

I think Clinton was a decent President for the most part as far as I could tell. He spoke here in Texas last night, and he said that he thought our biggest threat right now is North Korea, not Iraq. What do you guys think about that? I don't really know, all I know is that supposedly North Korea has nuclear missiles that could reach the U.S. if they were to launch them and that they are very unstable at the moment.

Yeah jannica, you're totally right. I thought Clinton was one of the better presidents we've had in a while. Pretty much everyone I know up here and at home doesn't want to go to war either. Our problem is that if the US does go to war no one knows where it's going to be...Iraq or North Korea. I think our bigger threat right now is N.Korea and not Iraq.

But all the media wants to talk about is Iraq. I hate the media soo much, they take the smallest things and completely blow them out of proportion. Well, who knows what is going to happen in the next few weeks/months.

Peace.

hmm

This is a fab discussion - you all have VERY good points and have made me realise that i might have focused on the oil-part too much. True as someone here wrote: we forgot all about the US help we got during WW2 -

But also, I believe that Bush is doing all this to get the attention on a situation he seems in control of. I like the US, and their values (well....their weapon-laws are really weird!)...but I just don´t like Bush.

Ihave to say that Clinton was a charismatic and BELIEVABLE president, even though he cheated on Hillary with Monica and lied anbout the whole thing (So did Kennedy, and look what he did to his country - he was an outstanding president).

In order to find the right solutions and answers, we must look into the past. Saddam has been a threat before, will he be a threat again? yes! No doubt he will. So make him leave and leave yourself afterwards. Disarm the bastard so he doesn´t become an even bigger threat than he already is.

I think war is generally wrong. And I dont hope there is a war, since it would be disasterous cuz no matter what, lives will be lost if the was takes 1 week or 1 year. I hope they can make this go away quickly...also becuz of the rotten economy worldwide right now.

Whats best? to attack, and to go against the general rule: innocent untill proven guilty or to attack and prevent more lives (innocent lives!) from being killed because we could see it all coming and then another attack like sept 11th becomes a reality.

:evil: I was in N.Y the day it happend. I lived with a muslim family for 10 days, a family I didnt know opened their doors for me and my friends and we were so happy that they saved us - I don´t hope this whole matter becomes a matter of muslims versus christians - because I met this kind muslim family who thought nothing but bad thoughts about Osama and they were angry that Osama had made it into a muslim-matter as true muslims NEVER would have reacted that way.

What do you all think?

susie
I just wish my country "America" would stop helping other countries and getting involved in other countries business sometimes, cause it always seems that it comes back to bite us in the arse no matter what. Unfair I think! I wish that people would remember all of the countries that the USA has helped out over the years (ie:thousands of American troops gave their lives on the beaches of Normandy to free the French of Nazi rule
Going back in history you'll know that every time there was a war, the U.S economy boomed. THIS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION BUSH KNOWS TO GET HIS ECONOMY OUT OF RECESSION.
I don't know why you the "Americans" vote for the Republicans!! you should've voted for the well trained Al Gore instead of this cowboy.
Sorry Susie if I am a bit agressive, because I know you're a typical liberal and full of love (after all you're a Gruru of this site). Like our president always say, give the inspectors a chance. They're doing a great job.

back and forth...everyone´s got great comments....im even more confused now than when I started. I still think USA is gonna start this war withour Europes interference, since we end up not wanting to back him up anyway huh??? Guess europe is too afraid of more attacks...waking the sleeping tiger and see what happends. Im afraid!

the problem is that the weapon inspectors are not being allowed to do their job. Thats from the words of hans blix himself. The fact that bush may not be the best or most charasmatic character to represent the american nation, it doesn't mean that the people he is surrounded by are fools. Surely the whitehouse must realise that the handling of the presidents public relations has been awful. Some of his quotes are truly unbelievable.
There is no simple solution to this scenario. Saddam must be stopped, if not for the weapons of mass destruction issue then surely for the sake of the iraq people. Its an awful situation and i dont envy anyone who is involved in making these decisions. Lets just all hope that the events that follow, (because unfortunately war seems inevitable) end swiftly and with minimum reprocussions.
wow, the best forum on the web has suddenly gone all political!! :eek:

True........yes well I guess that some sort of confrontation is inevitable...hmmm sad, huh? :( think about how many lives there will be lost in this awful battle. :(

yep sad but true. The idiot is going to blow the next election anyway, so now it´s just personal between him and Saddam, the man who "in fact tried to kill my dad once" as he pathetically said once in a speach of his on tv :p

Ibiza-girlie said:
back and forth...everyone´s got great comments....im even more confused now than when I started. I still think USA is gonna start this war withour Europes interference, since we end up not wanting to back him up anyway huh??? Guess europe is too afraid of more attacks...waking the sleeping tiger and see what happends. Im afraid!

Yes, you're true. Europe is afraid of more wars. One only has to read a book of History and see that Europe has always gotten into wars among other European and non-European countries from the Romans period and even before. I like what Europe is now. All countries have joined altogether, and those which still have to join us (eastern Europe). I hope someday this example will extend all over the world.

when you expand borders and hereby blend multicultures in a mix, you alway end up having some elected parties within the country´s government who want things back where they were, with no refugees or foreighners coming in. That´s a bit difficult concidereing the world doing quite the opposite, and thats opening up.

Im happy that we can be one Europe and i´m not afriad of letting new and multicultural people inside our union where you are free people with freedom ofspeech.

Iraque has no freedom of speach, and USA believes in that right but still if they are threatened they don´t care about justice or playinga fair game. I dont like both sides of it, but something needs to be done. With or without Europe. I just dont hope we get either punished or caught in the middle here!

To be honest I couldn't care less if president's shot down other president's my main concern is that thousands if not millions of innocent lives that will be loss....If Bush wants Saddam so badly maybe they should have a street fight or a duel....Iraq is so improverished and has yet to recover from sanctions and the war from the early 90's what are you possibly going to achieve but grinding this country further into the ground.

Bush to me is coward, anyone can use a weapon to kill it takes real intelligence and conviction to win a war of words...Oh yah, I forgot who we were talking about George W........ :eek:

Back