UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

Paywall. What's the jist?

about the shift to 'daytime' parties, the proliferation of 'niche' scenes, the politics and economics, kids coming through with new perspectives, why the Germans do it better etc

God I miss London. Or do I? I don't know anymore. A lot of 'mates' disappeared or lost touch. A flakey scene. Keep the memories and leave it there. The parties can never be as good again, so what to replace it all with.. (?) What you had with the Rooms, I would kill for something like that here - a regular community hub, but it'll just never happen here, so having to start all over

Last edited:
about the shift to 'daytime' parties, the proliferation of 'niche' scenes, the politics and economics, kids coming through with new perspectives, why the Germans do it better etc

God I miss London. Or do I? I don't know anymore. A lot of 'mates' disappeared or lost touch. A flakey scene. Keep the memories and leave it there. The parties can never be as good again, so what to replace it all with.. (?) What you would had with the Rooms, I would kill for something like that here - a regular community hub, but it'll just never happen here, so having to start all over
Set up your own thing? or its it impossible in Barcelona?

I would dearly love to start something but the problem is red tape, neighbours, money, sound police, lack of numbers... there are a few brave souls trying their best (Curtis, Switch, Freedonia, Rouge - all heroes)

I would dearly love to start something but the problem is red tape, neighbours, money, sound police, lack of numbers... there are a few brave souls trying their best (Curtis, Switch, Freedonia, Rouge - all heroes)
What's missing for you from Curtis, Switch, Freedonia, Rouge? Lack of interest from others or frequency? Or something else.

What's missing for you from Curtis, Switch, Freedonia, Rouge? Lack of interest from others or frequency? Or something else.

they're lovely bars run by good music people, but no atmosphere a lot of the time. too many people passing through or not sticking around because they shut at 3. in Hackney I'd turn up at places where people were hanging off the chandeliers or swimming in the toilets.

God I miss London. Or do I? I don't know anymore. A lot of 'mates' disappeared or lost touch. A flakey scene. Keep the memories and leave it there. The parties can never be as good again, so what to replace it all with.. (?) What you had with the Rooms, I would kill for something like that here - a regular community hub, but it'll just never happen here, so having to start all over

Sadly I dont think it will happen again here either. Time to get old.

How is Ministry of Sound? They're still open as I understand it. That must be niiiice. :)

I still think it is one of my fave clubs in London. Everything about it is just spot on (security, layout, bars etc) but like WIC says hardly any decent nights on anymore unfortunately.

Also anyone else annoyed that Studio 338 used their email list to advertise Sugar Hut too.... way to make people unsubscribe

Also anyone else annoyed that Studio 338 used their email list to advertise Sugar Hut too.... way to make people unsubscribe

I opted out years ago because of the sheer number of emails I was receiving. Almost daily at one point.
Another peeve is when promoters or venues sell mailouts of thirds parties to their database (legal? certainly dubious territory) The number of times I thought "what the f*** is this? UNSUBSCRIBE" but then when I've been taken to the unsubscribe screen it has actually been something I've voluntarily signed-up to. Surely they must realise they're risking people leaving as a result?

Here we go again:

Back